Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Matt Rhule on Rich Eisen Today


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

 

The more of these videos I watch the more excited I get. I get that his stats have been abysmal, and everyone has a highlight reel, but I really think he has first round talent. The elephant in the room is whether or not our staff can coach him up to that talent level. If he'd been that bad for anyone but the Jets, I'd be a lot less excited about the upcoming season.

Agreed. 

As a part-time Jets fan who watched him for 3 seasons, the Talent is there in him personally.

The Talent surrounding him was close to none existent.

  • Pie 2
  • Poo 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Part of the thing that has impressed me about Darnold is his scrambling ability, being able to keep the play alive and look for the best opportunity.

Yeah I wasn’t the biggest fan of his, but he moves very well. I would say he scrambles as well as Rodgers who is considered mobile.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

 

The more of these videos I watch the more excited I get. I get that his stats have been abysmal, and everyone has a highlight reel, but I really think he has first round talent. The elephant in the room is whether or not our staff can coach him up to that talent level. If he'd been that bad for anyone but the Jets, I'd be a lot less excited about the upcoming season.

 

Well then I hope you're sitting down 'cause here are his complete highlights :

 

 

  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

 

Well then I hope you're sitting down 'cause here are his complete highlights :

 

 

I only watched the Bills game so far (stupid Zoom meeting), but 2 things are immediately obviously; No one is going to block, and Crowder is the only guy open.  Coming from an offense where the opposing D-line does whatever it wants and only 1 receiver has to be covered...Sam has got to be like a kid in a candy store.

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get that he is wanting Sam for right now to focus on just playing and not worrying about expectations too much but speaking this convincingly about him before camp or anything is a double edged sword. You also don't want a situation in the locker room where there may become a perception of being coddled. It's good to hear Rhule speak in no uncertain terms but now the clock is ticking. Matt and Scott are tied directly to the success or failure of Sam Darnold for better or worse. If all goes well they are heroes but if he struggles the daggers will come out. Do not be fooled by the media praise it changes with the wind.

  • Beer 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Lol

the same guy who said

       ‘I don’t believe in fairness in pro sports’

come on Matt 

Orrrrrrr maybe he didn’t like Justin Fields... have you considered that?

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

I only watched the Bills game so far (stupid Zoom meeting), but 2 things are immediately obviously; No one is going to block, and Crowder is the only guy open.  Coming from an offense where the opposing D-line does whatever it wants and only 1 receiver has to be covered...Sam has got to be like a kid in a candy store.

Btw, listen to the ominous message by the Commentator at 12:45 of the vid :

"I would think that it's best for Darnold to get a fresh start somewhere else.  I'm not sure it's really set up for him to be successful here in NY"

 

 

  • Poo 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Btw, listen to the ominous message by the Commentator at 12:45 of the vid :

"I would think that it's best for Darnold to get a fresh start somewhere else.  I'm not sure it's really set up for him to be successful here in NY"

 

 

I also heard a lot of praise for Elfein once they picked him up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, WilsonROY said:

 

I provide merely highlights of what he can do and you decide to be a negative nancy and put up negative sh-t.   

 

BTW, found this from one of the comments below :

This is a good review, but it is overlooking how bad these plays are. The first play analyzed is literally doomed from before the snap. In order for that play to work, you need a better o line or receiver or both. Darnold's problem is that Gase is asking him to do stupid or difficult things under duress. Of course it doesn't work.

 

Or take the redzone fail. The critique is that Darnold locks on, but the only open chance is a corner on the far side of the field that requires the QB to turn his body before throwing. You can't make the best option a ridiculous, low percentage pass. Jets are doing it all the time.

 

Gee, perhaps it's not a case of a "backyard QB who's not seeing the field", the F is Sabo smoking to call someone a Backyard QB, first of all?   Jesus....

 

  • Pie 2
  • Poo 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I've stated before, I just hope Darnold isn't damaged psychologically and that he will gain confidence and his mojo under Rhule and Brady.  I'm excited about the possibilities.

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I provide merely highlights of what he can do and you decide to be a negative nancy and put up negative sh-t.   

 

BTW, found this from one of the comments below :

This is a good review, but it is overlooking how bad these plays are. The first play analyzed is literally doomed from before the snap. In order for that play to work, you need a better o line or receiver or both. Darnold's problem is that Gase is asking him to do stupid or difficult things under duress. Of course it doesn't work.

 

Or take the redzone fail. The critique is that Darnold locks on, but the only open chance is a corner on the far side of the field that requires the QB to turn his body before throwing. You can't make the best option a ridiculous, low percentage pass. Jets are doing it all the time.

 

Gee, perhaps it's not a case of a "backyard QB who's not seeing the field", the F is Sabo smoking to call someone a Backyard QB, first of all?   Jesus....

 

Darnold is a backyard QB. That isn’t a slam. Mahomes is a backyard QB but he was able to put it all together within and outside structure. 

Some of these plays are impossible to know what is going on and some are obvious. He definitely has processing issues.  Was Gase telling Darnold where to throw? Because dudes are wide ass open and he’s literally looking right at them and not pulling the trigger. I see all sides of this. Gase is a horrific coach. Darnold should be making easy layup passes that he missed (while staring right at the fuging receiver), and some of the play designs are issues we had with Shula and Cam. Very low percentage throws.
 

I hope the coaching staff dumbs this down for him until he gets more confidence to put more on his plate. Nobody can deny the raw talent is there. Off script he does things like 5 qbs in the league can do. Brady obviously runs a much better system that is qb friendly and I do think Sam is going to have a career year here but I have no idea how he’s gonna react in pressure situations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...