• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post Draft - NFL Power Rankings

kass

Has this been posted?

Guess someone bet money on Panthers getting a QB and lost... 😂

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-bears-49ers-on-the-rise-after-2021-draft

Carolina PanthersCarolina Panthers Rank 28     (-2)

Previous rank: No. 26

Sam Darnold has spent most of this year buckled into an emotional roller coaster he wanted nothing to do with. The former USC star escaped the purgatory that came to define the final months of his doomed time with the Jets only to enter into a similar state of uncertainty in Charlotte. Would the Panthers make a big move at quarterback in the draft? Would Teddy Bridgewater remain in the mix? Was Darnold really going to get his chance? When the dust settled, Bridgewater was traded, the Panthers didn't use any of their 11 draft picks on a QB, and the team officially picked up Darnold's fifth-year option. That's a nice weekend.

Saw it on Facebook and then I googled and added a few others.

26 at Bleacher report

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941960-nfl-power-rankings-where-does-every-team-stand-after-the-2021-nfl-draft

High: 24

Low: 26 

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. That appears to be the Carolina Panthers' mantra at quarterback in 2021.

After one disappointing season from Teddy Bridgewater, the Panthers flipped him to the Denver Broncos. But before that trade, they acquired Sam Darnold from the New York Jets.

Darnold's first three pro seasons weren't good, but he wasn't given much of a chance to succeed in New York.

In Carolina, Darnold will play with one of the NFL's best running backs in Christian McCaffrey. His passing-game weapons will include a familiar face in Robby Anderson, DJ Moore and explosive rookie Terrace Marshall Jr. And while Carolina's O-line wasn't great in 2020, it was better than the mess that "protected" Darnold in New York.

There's pressure to go with this second chance, though. The Panthers elected to draft South Carolina cornerback Jaycee Horn eighth overall rather than take a quarterback.

If Darnold can't turn things around, that decision won't soon be forgotten.

25 at Pro Football Network

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-power-rankings-who-rises-falls-following-2021-nfl-draft/

Sam Darnold finds himself in a far better position than he has ever been at the NFL level. The Panthers are building something, but it won’t happen overnight.

25 at NBC Sports

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/2021-nfl-power-rankings-post-draft-standings-every-team

Sam Darnold gets a fresh start in Carolina and is shocked to find out that a team is, in fact, allowed to give its QB real weapons. With Terrace Marshall, Chuba Hubbard and Shi Smith joining Robby Anderson and D.J. Moore, there will be no more excuses for Darnold, especially with Adam Gase’s stink washed away. 

28 at CBS Sports (-3 spots)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings/

Sam Darnold is the new quarterback, but he comes with a lot of doubters. This will be a proving year for him, but the Panthers start the year clearly as the fourth team in the division.

• Pie 1

Saints seem very high.  Gotta think wiith film on him and starting a full season....Hill is going to take some lumps.  

I wouldn't be surprised if both Belichick and Payton have a distinct line drawn in their coaching careers.  The day their HOFers left. 

*but I'm also a full time Saints hater. 

• Pie 6

We were tied for 25th or so last year, haven't really lost much and gained a ton in FA and the draft... Darnold is the question mark but even if he sucks I think we're good enough to be in the middle of the pack... If he can turn his career around we're a playoff team easily. Glad people are sleeping on us.

• Pie 1

That’s where I would have us if Mono boy and all our picks bust. Realistically I think we’re closer to league average. Maybe 18 or so. Last year I bet on the under for our win total of 5.5. After our draft, I bet on the over of 7.5. 

So much of our success hinges on Danrold. I think more likely than not our supporting cast makes him look average or so, but in reality he’s a bust and not very good, with or without help. Hopefully fields doesnt ball out...

Power rankings at this point are pretty useless.  I don't give them much credence once the season starts until six or so games in. 

I'm sure some computer whiz-bang and stats maven could come up with a system based on numerical ratings or each player in the league, track the comings and goings, and come up with a power rating based on the current roster at any given time.  Problem is, even that would be speculative since the player ratings would be based on last year or some guess about how rookies will perform.

All I know is that computer whiz-bang and stats maven will not include me!

It is interesting for conversation, though.

• Pie 1