• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some good roster analysis from Gantt

Zod

5 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

My understanding is that Tepper wanted Fields for marketing reasons.  To me, that's the wrong reason to want a particular QB.  

It would no doubt assist on marketing efforts, but Tepper gas been vocal that the three key elements to a consistent winner are coach, GM, and QB. He saw the opportunity to get the QB. Rhule and Fitterer need to be right on this one. Of they aren't and they're losing their job security could go south in a hurry

1 minute ago, grimesgoat said:

My understanding is that Tepper wanted Fields for marketing reasons.  To me, that's the wrong reason to want a particular QB.  

Drafting a QB top 10, in Carolina's position, is going to generate a lot of excitement around the franchise.  Acknowledging something extremely obvious doesn't mean that is the only reason Tepper wanted him. 

6 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Tepper's not an evaluator so who he wants and why don't concern me much.

That's one of the reasons I was happy to hear Matt Rhule say that Tepper "leaves the football stuff" to he and Fitterer (as he should).

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The rest of the list includes the long, long list of QBs who never worked out.

There have definitely been qbs picked high that did not work out - Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell, David Carr, etc.

But so many highly drafted guys started out like Darnold and ended up being studs.  Have a little hope.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tepper's not an evaluator so who he wants and why don't concern me much.

That's one of the reasons I was happy to hear Matt Rhule say that Tepper "leaves the football stuff" to he and Fitterer (as he should).

and if that is the case, more people than Tepper were on the Fields side of the argument.   I mean, if Tepper leaves the football stuff to Rhule/Fitterer.....we have enough reporting to logically conclude Fields was being debated with Horn.   

GM makes the call.  But we don't know who Joe Brady wanted with that.  We don't know who Rhule even preferred.  We just know the final decision.   

1 minute ago, CRA said:

and if that is the case, more people than Tepper were on the Fields side of the argument.   I mean, if Teppers leaves the football stuff to Rhule/Fitterer.....we have enough reporting to logically conclude Fields was being debated with Horn.   

Verge and other sources stated that there were definitely people in the building who believed they should take Fields.

Those people just didn't include Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Verge and other sources stated that there were definitely people in the building who believed they should take Fields.

Those people just didn't include Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer.

so Joe Brady and the offensive staff would be the logical conclusion there. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Drafting a QB top 10, in Carolina's position, is going to generate a lot of excitement around the franchise.  Acknowledging something extremely obvious doesn't mean that is the only reason Tepper wanted him. 

Wait - do you think Tepper spent time breaking down film on Darnold and Fields?  To me, that's the only way to decide.  The rest is all bullshit.

5 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

There have definitely been qbs picked high that did not work out - Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell, David Carr, etc.

But so many highly drafted guys started out like Darnold and ended up being studs.  Have a little hope.

I have some hope. More than I had with Teddy. But it's definitely a long shot. I think Darnold has the physical talent and I never thought Teddy did. I just don't know that Darnold has it between the ears and I never thought he did. I called Darnold as a bust in the pre-draft process that year. Just never bought into him. Still don't. Hopefully he proves me wrong but if he doesn't I hope we cut bait on him as quickly as we did with Teddy I'm just not sure that'll happen without the GM change that went along with that last decision. 

• Pie 1

Just now, grimesgoat said:

Wait - do you think Tepper spent time breaking down film on Darnold and Fields?  To me, that's the only way to decide.  The rest is all bullshit.

I mean, we know from reporting there were people on staff that wanted Fields.  So Tepper likely has people he pays telling him Fields is the guy.   

You think all the offensive staff in Carolina has agreed about the drafts that have gone down with Rhule as the HC? 

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

so Joe Brady and the offensive staff would be the logical conclusion there. 

Possible, but not guaranteed. Don't know that we'll ever find out.

When Albert Breer and Peter King made their final mock drafts, both largely attributed their prediction of Fields on the logic that Tepper wanted him. I doubt either of them believed that Tepper would allow the staff to not take who he most wanted.

But he did.

And honestly, regardless of how you feel about Fields, we should all be happy about that.

• Pie 4

It sounded like they were mostly high on Fields but also high on Darnold (like Mr Scott was saying) close to the same if not more. They liked the idea of Horn plus Darnold than just Fields or Darnold (they both can’t play consistently at once obviously). It makes sense honestly...

• Pie 1

This sounds so similar to what was said about Sam as the QB of the scout team in college by the DC and the 1st string defense.  That’s how the buzz started, and Colin Cowherd became such a fan. 

“I can't remember what we were watching a cut of and Sam was playing on the other side of the ball and a couple times he made some throws and Phil Snow, our defensive coordinator, was like, 'Man, that kid looks like Matt Stafford.' And so, we put a couple games on, this is the defensive staff and they were all like, 'You know what, every game we watch, he makes a couple of big-time plays,' and there has to be some meat on the bone there," Rhule said.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Sigh... this is so very reminiscent of last year. Just substitute "Sam Darnold" for "Teddy Bridgewater". 

And it certainly may be.  I doubt it will be worse but who knows.  I think you just can't get over them passing on Fields. You are like a jilted lover man. I guess that's easy for me to say as I don't get attached to these prospects.  I rarely even get attached to players anymore.

Hell Darnold may come out and look like complete ass but at least that would be entertaining.  Don't worry brother they know it's about the QB.

• Pie 2