• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some good roster analysis from Gantt

Zod

42 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

And it certainly may be.  I doubt it will be worse but who knows.  I think you just can't get over them passing on Fields. You are like a jilted lover man. I guess that's easy for me to say as I don't get attached to these prospects.  I rarely even get attached to players anymore.

Hell Darnold may come out and look like complete ass but at least that would be entertaining.  Don't worry brother they know it's about the QB.

As much as I did NOT want Mac Jones if that was our guy I could've learned to live with that too. It's just that the bust rehab efforts have an abysmal track record. People want to hang their hopes on the Ryan Tannehills while overlooking the reality that Tannehill was FAR better in Miami than Darnold has ever shown any hope to be. Darnold would have to improve dramatically to get to Miami Tannehill levels.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Verge and other sources stated that there were definitely people in the building who believed they should take Fields.

Those people just didn't include Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer.

They also said that Mac Jones would be the pick.

44 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

As much as I did NOT want Mac Jones if that was our guy I could've learned to live with that too. It's just that the bust rehab efforts have an abysmal track record. People want to hang their hopes on the Ryan Tannehills while overlooking the reality that Tannehill was FAR better in Miami than Darnold has ever shown any hope to be. Darnold would have to improve dramatically to get to Miami Tannehill levels.

Let's put it this way, it's almost impossible for him to be any worse.   So anything better is trending in the right direction 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

People lost their minds when I said the Panthers have mortgaged their future on Sam Darnold, then Gantt of Panthers.com writes...

The Panthers did a lot of things over the weekend to make Darnold's life more secure. That's good news, but it also puts the bright light back on their quarterback.

By not drafting one, and picking up Darnold's fifth-year option, they've cast their lot with the former Jets first-rounder, and done their best to insulate him. Now it's on him to prove that he can grow into the job and earn that trust. It may not be New York, but there's still plenty of pressure.

That's NFL political talk for "mortgaging the future".

A 2022 second round pick (after the trades - hell, even with the trades it was only the same combined value as our Christensen pick) is not mortgaging the future.

He's the starting QB this year, but we jettisoned a QB making MORE money than Darnold is due to make next year in a heartbeat.

He's the starter this year - beyond that nothing is certain. Fingers crossed he nails down the job because we're in a hell of a position if he lives up to his talent.

• Pie 3

9 hours ago, BrianS said:

I think "mortgage the future" is confusing people.  The basic premise is that we had the opportunity to "draft" one of three players - in actual fact we could have had two of three - and we chose Darnold.  That choice is one that Fitts and Rhule will have to live with / answer for if it goes badly.

Technically we chose Darnold and Horn. 

That's how the coaching staff and the Front Office sees it.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You definitely haven't seen Sam Darnold play, I take it?

You worry too much.  Have a beer man, cmc and hubba hubba is going to run the hell out of the ball anyway.  I'm telling you it's going to be alright.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

So in your mind, Rhule liked Fields but passed because we already have Sam?

The annoying thing is Rhule is very professional and careful in his interviews - he thinks Fields and Jones are 'great players', but I do wonder what the behind the scenes view of them really was.

He coached Jones for a week at the Senior Bowl - he passed on the kid, so evidently he thinks Darnold is better. Fields is more difficult to evaluate in that sense.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

You worry too much.  Have a beer man, cmc and hubba hubba is going to run the hell out of the ball anyway.  I'm telling you it's going to be alright.

Oh, it's definitely gonna be alright. We're Panthers fans. Not like we can't take sucking. LOL!

Any fairweather fans are long gone at this point.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Oh, it's definitely gonna be alright. We're Panthers fans. Not like we can't take sucking. LOL!

I don't think we'll suck.  I think you will see a big difference in this team this season.  Not saying they will win more, well 3 more than last, but they will look completely different.  I like what Rhules got cooking.  

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

The annoying thing is Rhule is very professional and careful in his interviews - he thinks Fields and Jones are 'great players', but I do wonder what the behind the scenes view of them really was.

He coached Jones for a week at the Senior Bowl - he passed on the kid, so evidently he thinks Darnold is better. Fields is more difficult to evaluate in that sense.

We have people on this board that really take what some of these guys say during their media obligations as facts. 

Which is their first mistake. Second is trying to connect the dots. If Rhule thought Fields was a franchise QB, he’d be a Carolina Panther right now. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You definitely haven't seen Sam Darnold play, I take it?

Did Darnold kick your dog or something? Your constant dogging him before giving him a chance to see what he can do here is getting old.  Give it a rest. We get it. You dont like him.