• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who will it be?

Michael G

So who is most likely going to fill Trey Boston's role as a true Free Safety in our defense this season?

- Burris or another SS will take it on

- A CB will be converted and assume that role (if so which one)

- We will sign a veteran option before the season (who would you want)

- Kenny Robinson (the closest thing we have to to a true FS) will step up and actually take over the role

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

With the additions of J. Horn, AJ Bouye and K. Taylor- The thinking is we will be playing more Press Man Coverage which in many packages use a Deep Single High Safety (FS). I really don't see anyone on our roster that has demonstrated that ability. To be as versatile and be able to "show all the looks," We kind of need someone to do that I'd think. Last year we played a lot of split safeties and 3 safety looks, with mostly zone concepts I think. 

I don't think any of the current safeties on our roster really have the range to play FS, especially in 1 deep looks. Chinn is actually probably our best option as far as range/speed- but he is so valuable playing closer to the box. Hartsfield is probably the next best option as far as Range/Speed of the guys listed as S or DB on our roster.

I think this will be a very interesting position to fill in Camp. It may not be a big deal, if our line and corners play better (more pressure/better coverage) then opposing teams may not be able to expose Burris, or another less rangy DB playing the FS roles as easily.

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1