• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post Draft Comments from Breer

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

FYI: Regarding Trey Lance...

So after trading up (using significant resources to do so) and drafting him #3 overall, they might wait until his third year to start him?

Breer and others are calling bullsh-t on that idea.

Well, that was already a Super Bowl participant team without Lance. You have to look at it this way, if they viewed Lance as "the guy" then they made the move they thought they had to.

Doesn't mean that they may jump in with two feet right away. Even Mahomes(who was a guy they traded up for) wasn't in the immediate plans for KC. 

Lance is acknowledged to be a project too. No reason to rush him if he needs more time.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I would be curious to see how they manage that. My understanding was that the rookie deals are basically scaled and there isn't much tinkering allowed.

It's probably different since we didn't draft him. No idea how all that works, tbh.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I would be curious to see how they manage that. My understanding was that the rookie deals are basically scaled and there isn't much tinkering allowed.

From what I've read, it's allowed. Might be some flexibility with the fifth year option. Don't know.

I suppose the rationale would be that they're not changing how much money he gets, just when he gets it.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, that was already a Super Bowl participant team without Lance. You have to look at it this way, if they viewed Lance as "the guy" then they made the move they thought they had to.

Doesn't mean that they may jump in with two feet right away. Even Mahomes(who was a guy they traded up for) wasn't in the immediate plans for KC. 

Lance is acknowledged to be a project too. No reason to rush him if he needs more time.

I remember reading a while back that the reason they were keeping Garoppolo was because they did did indeed feel they had a Super Bowl roster and wanted to keep a strong backup.

At least that was the word when everybody thought they were taking Mac Jones. Obviously, things have changed.

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

It's probably different since we didn't draft him. No idea how all that works, tbh.

I wouldn't think the NFLPA would have allowed that. I won't be upset if we can do that. I would certainly like to have less dead cap next season than $18.6 mil or not have to scramble to trade him.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From what I've read, it's allowed. Might be some flexibility with the fifth year option. Don't know.

I suppose the rationale would be that they're not changing how much money he gets, just when he gets it.

You have any of those articles handy? I haven't actually seen any mentioning that option specifically. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I remember reading a while back that the reason they were keeping Garoppolo was because they did did indeed feel they had a Super Bowl roster and wanted to keep a strong backup.

At least that was the word when everybody thought they were taking Mac Jones. Obviously, things have changed.

The media/fan pressure will be extreme after trading all that for him. Should be an interesting circus to watch from afar.

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I wouldn't think the NFLPA would have allowed that. I won't be upset if we can do that. I would certainly like to have less dead cap next season than $18.6 mil or not have to scramble to trade him.

You have any of those articles handy? I haven't actually seen any mentioning that option specifically. 

It was a while back, but I'll look.

If I remember correctly, Person tweeted it.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

FYI: Regarding Trey Lance...

So after trading up (using significant resources to do so) and drafting him #3 overall, they might wait until his third year to start him?

Breer and others are calling bullsh-t on that idea.

Imagine if he doesn't play football for three years.

What a crazy, crazy trade that was.

My guess is he plays next season mayyyyybe end of this upcoming season if jimmy gets injured again or sucks. 

literally everyone here who liked Lance as a prospect acknowledged that he would need a season or two of development. poo Aaron Rodgers sat what 3 years before he took over? I get this is a little different with the trade up and top 5 selection. But this isn’t surprising at all and I think the 9ers are dead serious about him sitting a year or two.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

A few pieces of info relevant to the Panthers from Breer's latest mailbag, even though neither of the questions being answered was specifically about them.

FYI: I'm posting only the pieces relevant to Carolina, not the complete answers. The link is above if you want to see more (it's a good read).

From Robert “The Rock” Saleh (@TylerIanKirk): Was the Jets’ philosophy always offense/playmakers for the first four rounds, or did the board happen to fall that way?

Saleh! I think the philosophy reflected some self-awareness for how things went so terribly wrong with Sam Darnold. Talking to people in the organization over the last couple of months, it felt almost like there was an acknowledgment there that Darnold didn’t really have a chance. You can assign blame however you want, but Darnold and Adam Gase really weren’t a good fit for each other. And the personnel around Darnold wouldn’t have been the right fit for anyone.

From R.B. (@Sports_Fi3nd): Which teams do you think were the top NFL draft winner and loser from this past weekend?

R.B., let’s wrap up here with three winners and three losers for you …

Winners

Falcons QB Matt Ryan: The Falcons gave him a generational talent to work with at tight end and a new lease on life by passing on Justin Fields and Mac Jones. And going forward, Ryan’s got a GM in house now who was part of the Saints’ rebuild-on-the-fly around an aging quarterback, Drew Brees in that case, so there’s a template for that GM, Terry Fontenot, and head coach Arthur Smith to work off of.

The Panthers: I don’t know what they’ll be as pros, but through every step of the draft, the players new Carolina GM Scott Fitterer and coach Matt Rhule took—from Jaycee Horn to Terrace Marshall Jr. to Brady Christensen, Tommy Tremble and Chuba Hubbard—seemed like a good value for where they had been projected. And I love how Fitterer made up for picks lost in the Sam Darnold deal, effectively replacing the sixth-rounder this year, and the fourth next year via a flurry of trades.

(I'll throw this in for Cam Newton fans; but be warned, you won't like it)

Losers

Patriots QB Cam Newton and Bears QB Andy Dalton: We’re leaving Jimmy Garoppolo off this list. Why? I actually think he’s in a better spot than people realize. He has two years left on his contract, and now he’ll get to play for his football future in a loaded offense for maybe the best tactician in the sport. This is actually a really great opportunity to compete for a title, and revive his value league-wide (which would be a win/win, because then San Francisco could get something good for him in 2022). The cases of Newton and Dalton are a little different. Yes, both can really help themselves. But I think, for separate reasons, the leash will be shorter in New England and Chicago. And a benching would be devastating for the future of either guy.

Always liked Saleh.  Not because I agree with him, but because I think he is honest and ethical when I dont