• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you think with more games added to the season, that " load management" will creep in the NFL

10 minutes ago, jackson113 said:

Just a thought. Big subject in the NBA right now.

I think if they don’t keep it structured and stop changing so much it’s gonna go like NASCAR. They kept changing cars, rules, playoff structures, tracks, etc. in an effort to get new fans but they just ended up running off old fans.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1
1 hour ago, jackson113 said:

Just a thought. Big subject in the NBA right now.

The NBA has far too many games. It would be a more exciting sport if each individual game mattered.

• Pie 4

Nah. 17 games is still way fewer than 82. The NBA has structural problems with talent concentration and travel exhaustion. The NFL schedule still keeps everything close enough that you can't just sit dudes in the middle of the season. Weeks 16 and 17? Maybe, but that's not different from what's happening already.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

The salary cap and roster size doesn't easily support that kind of model in the NFL. Not saying it isn't possible but it's a lot harder to accomplish in the NFL.

• Pie 1

I wouldn't mind seeing that. I would love to see the intricacy of backups' ability and utilization more often in an effort to allow starters to take more plays or even whole games off. It might end up increasing roster size, backups and lesser players' salary and moving away from salary caps that are 50% 2-3 star players.

42 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

they added one game that counts and removed two that don’t. the season is a net of -1.

As I understand it they've added an extra game onto the season (not needed imo) and removed a pre-season game (very much needed).

Personally I think it just dilutes the product - less practice time, more chance of injuries. But money talks, bullshit walks. 

• Beer 1

Absolutely.  It’s the reason for drafting Chuba Hubbard.  Unlike the old regime I don’t think CMC will be getting 99% of the carries.  
He will still be a workhorse but I don’t think they will run him into the ground like RR. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
2 hours ago, Tbe said:

The NBA has far too many games. It would be a more exciting sport if each individual game mattered.

Same for baseball for sure... WAY to many games.  

4 hours ago, Ready 2 Win said:

I wouldn't mind seeing that. I would love to see the intricacy of backups' ability and utilization more often in an effort to allow starters to take more plays or even whole games off. It might end up increasing roster size, backups and lesser players' salary and moving away from salary caps that are 50% 2-3 star players.

I think you will see backups take on bigger roles. But, I don't know if it will be stars taking entire games off. I'd guess it'll be more spread out through a season; manufacturing more touches early in games/season, pulling starters earlier in blowouts, etc.

A few less snaps per game over the course of the season will make up for the extra week. And, it would probably do more for the player's health than just sitting one out. 

I still think they should've added an extra bye week in with game 17.

• Beer 2