• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We've always heard using FA to set up the draft

top dawg

BPA works if your scouting works. I think we have executed similarly before, but our evaluations were off. It wasn't until the end that Nippleshorts started panic reaching in the draft(which ultimately started to be his undoing).

I am definitely a lot less excited about this draft class than last year's. But, I do think this class might finally solve some roster depth issues we have had since The Great Purge(and before).

Fitterer conducted this offseason how I'd have done so - and I happen to think I'd be an incredible GM.

As Rhule continues to harp on - believe in the process. Whatever the results, I can't fault the process we've followed this offseason; fill holes in FA with cost-effective pickups and draft BPA in the Draft. That's how you pick up fantastic players while everyone else reaches because they NEED a QB / LT / CB etc. 

If their talent evaluations are on point - and after last year (and his rapid turn around of Temple and Baylor) I have to think that Rhule is a sensational talent evaluator - then we're in a very, very good spot.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Fitterer conducted this offseason how I'd have done so - and I happen to think I'd be an incredible GM.

As Rhule continues to harp on - believe in the process. Whatever the results, I can't fault the process we've followed this offseason; fill holes in FA with cost-effective pickups and draft BPA in the Draft. That's how you pick up fantastic players while everyone else reaches because they NEED a QB / LT / CB etc. 

If their talent evaluations are on point - and after last year (and his rapid turn around of Temple and Baylor) I have to think that Rhule is a sensational talent evaluator - then we're in a very, very good spot.

Agreed. If they have another HR draft, espwcially one that was a lot more polarizing than last year, I think we may have something special here.

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

BPA works if your scouting works. I think we have executed similarly before, but our evaluations were off. It wasn't until the end that Nippleshorts started panic reaching in the draft(which ultimately started to be his undoing).

I am definitely a lot less excited about this draft class than last year's. But, I do think this class might finally solve some roster depth issues we have had since The Great Purge(and before).

I liked this Draft as the picks were being made, but the more I've looked into it this week I'm loving the Draft (I didn't do anything like my usual research this year).

I'm obviously a huge fan of drafting athletic players, which is what we did over the first 5 rounds. I'm also a fan of drafting productive College players - what can I say, I'm a 'floor' guy when it comes to the Draft. We did both - the athleticism obviously provides these guys with a higher opportunity to succeed and develop in the NFL.

Someone like Marshall, for example, will make us quickly forget about Samuel I feel. His contested catch rate is ridiculous - a stat that I only recently started to hone in on when evaluating WRs. Nixon being ridiculously productive AND athletic is also another example.

On reflection I also like that they took players they'd worked with in Mobile with the later picks - less freakish athletes, but guys they had a good read on. The only two things I'd have really changed are drafting Smith out of Tennessee with that 6th round pick and Borregales out of Miami with that 7th round pick. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I liked this Draft as the picks were being made, but the more I've looked into it this week I'm loving the Draft (I didn't do anything like my usual research this year).

I'm obviously a huge fan of drafting athletic players, which is what we did over the first 5 rounds. I'm also a fan of drafting productive College players - what can I say, I'm a 'floor' guy when it comes to the Draft. We did both - the athleticism obviously provides these guys with a higher opportunity to succeed and develop in the NFL.

Someone like Marshall, for example, will make us quickly forget about Samuel I feel. His contested catch rate is ridiculous - a stat that I only recently started to hone in on when evaluating WRs. Nixon being ridiculously productive AND athletic is also another example.

On reflection I also like that they took players they'd worked with in Mobile with the later picks - less freakish athletes, but guys they had a good read on. The only two things I'd have really changed are drafting Smith out of Tennessee with that 6th round pick and Borregales out of Miami with that 7th round pick. 

I didn't like much from Day Two and I didn't feel like we effectively addressed the issues with the OL. Those were my biggest criticisms overall. I am a little nervous about passing on Slater and Fields at 8, but I have warmed up a lot to that pick overall. 

Outside Horn, I feel like we probably got more depth guys than starters from this draft. That makes me less excited but our roster depth was abysmal last season, so every bit helps.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think Smith having blood clotting issues scared some scouts off. He is too good of a guard to get drafted where he did...

That's definitely what scared people off, but I mean we also drafted an OG that turned up to the Senior Bowl (which is basically a job interview) at 376lbs.

I'd have shot my shot. 

Edited by OldhamA
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

That's definitely what scared people off, but I mean we also drafted a OG that turned up to the Senior Bowl (which is basically a job interview) at 376lbs.

I'd have shot my shot. 

Agreed, especially in the later rounds.

BPA is a myth. We targeted players of need and were successful. Not to mention we spread out the chance of failure. I don't think every pick will be a home run but we have a bunch of chances to find starters and depth.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

48 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I do think this class might finally solve some roster depth issues we have had since The Great Purge(and before).

Yeah, I have great hope that this team has finally turned a corner when it comes to creating depth on the roster.  I'd like to see the Panthers implement a "next man up" approach when someone gets injured without there being a serious drop off in talent level.

• Pie 3

45 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Yeah, I have great hope that this team has finally turned a corner when it comes to creating depth on the roster.  I'd like to see the Panthers implement a "next man up" approach when someone gets injured without there being a serious drop off in talent level.

We have traditionally been fairly decent depth wise, but after the Ron firing we absolutely gutted that roster(not without reason). 

2020, even with the drafted talent, was such an insanely bad roster. Even with some quality starters the bench was so bad in a lot of the position groups.

I really hope we can start to get back to having a real NFL depth chart again.

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I think Smith having blood clotting issues scared some scouts off. He is too good of a guard to get drafted where he did...

Yeah I wanted him. But I heard today that they couldn’t let him practice all week at Tennessee because of his blood clots.  I can understand now why he wasn’t on a Rhule draft board.