• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Study: GREAT FIT: Why Sam Darnold will be a great Quarterback for the Carolina Panthers.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

He doesn't have to be elite, he just has to not be bad ( or timid like Teddy) or turn the ball over a lot which puts in a position to not be able to recover.  He just has to be good enough to help us win.  That's the bar set for him.  Anything better is a bonus.

Well, mediocre is probably ultimately not worth trading for either. He doesn't have to be elite but he does need to be good for that trade to make sense.

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

If he is going to be judged against rookies of this draft, them he needs to be given the same leeway an actual rookie would.

Expect mistakes early on, but also expect growth and steady improvement.

You won't be able to see the finished product after 2 games anymore than you would any other kid his age.

Give him the season and the benefit of the doubt.

Let this staff work with him to help overcome what 3 years of the worst coaching in the league would have done to basically the youngest kid to start at QB in week 1 ever.

He's sure to have issues and bad habits/mindsets to overcome as a result of what happened with the jets, but he's also young and smart enough to have those things coached out throughout the season.

Mistakes will be made, that's guaranteed. The real test is will he be repeating those mistakes or will he be learning from them and correcting them?

Some issues you don't know exist until you see them happen. It's those moments that real growth can happen as you identify what the real problem is in real time and address it. That's what I want to see.

I want to see if the mistakes he makes early on are improved as the season goes on. It may be painful, but any kind of growth can be. Have some faith and let it happen.

If, at the end of the season, he is still mistake prone and looks like garbage, then congrats to all of you guys who "know" he's garbage. You've got a gold star...just kidding, you get nothing.

Meanwhile the team will move on and then find another QB to put into what will have become an even more ideal situation to succeed in. 

But if he gets better and helps us start winning games then we've found ourselves a QB and we all win.

Yeah, that's ultimately the problem with believing he isn't going to improve(which I don't), there isn't a win.

You just look at the result and say, "Panthers gonna Panther" and then facepalm. Not fun.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

During Week 16 against the Green Bay Packers, Darnold finished with 341 passing yards and three touchdowns. Marred by 16 penalties, the Jets squandered a 15-point lead and lost 44–38 in overtime.[47] During Week 17 against the New England Patriots, Darnold finished with 167 passing yards as the Jets lost 38–3 in the regular-season finale. (reference)

How he perform after this game though?

Oh, that's right Coach Belichick watches film too.

Last game of that year, Sam looked lost.

Came back the year after ok but sick, missed a couple games, then guess what, that's right, Coach Belichick had the boy seeing Ghosts....

There was potential, WAS, until Belichick showed the blueprint on how to dismantle Sam.

Hey, if he proves me wrong, my team makes the playoffs.(1st year PSL owner:) I'll admit it if I'm wrong, hell, I'll buy a Darnold jersey and put 's B***h because that's what you do when you make a mistake.

How many excuses are there going be when Sam fails though???

There is not blueprint on how to dismantle a player in the nfl only a team and the Pats are masters of that. We still all can agree Darnald didn't have much help with the jets and their a poo organization.

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, mediocre is probably ultimately not worth trading for either. He doesn't have to be elite but he does need to be good for that trade to make sense.

Of course he has to earn the job, no one is saying otherwise.  I think most of us are willing to give the kid a chance before we condemn him to the trash heap.  The kid has all the odds against him to make it in the NFL, similar to a QB we once had here. 

According to our head coach the cost to get him has already be recouped so he cost the team only his salary and time.

I would love nothing more for this kid to beat the odds and silence his doubters when he becomes an all-pro.

Will he?  Only time will tell.  Just like for any QB taken in this draft.  Including Sunshine.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

He doesn't have to be elite, he just has to not be bad ( or timid like Teddy) or turn the ball over a lot which puts in a position to not be able to recover.  He just has to be good enough to help us win.  That's the bar set for him.  Anything better is a bonus.

Eh Sam isn't exactly careful with the ball and has had some really bad turnovers with the Jets and at USC his sophomore year. 39 INTS and 9 fumbles in 38 games with the Jets isn't confidence inspiring, but on the whole not terrible. He isn't Winston levels of turnover machine atleast, but Winston also put up points (just not enough for the points he gave away).

I think Sam needs to be closer to early Jake Delhomme (2003-2005) to get the team where they want to go. Now they need a better D than 2020, kinda like Jake did, to really make any noise. And really that's not a bridge too far for him. Jake was never the completion percentage king, but he did push the ball down field. I'm hoping Sam gets back to that like at USC. I'm willing to see if he looks average with streaks of good/great play this year and makes the real jump in 2022 to good/great on the whole. 

• Beer 1

59 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I'd love it if he "hit" here and we were able to finally have the answer to our QB-post Cam question.  But if he doesn't, I'm sure Fit and Rhule will be looking for a QB until they find one.  That's the nature of the NFL.  As we also saw with the Chiefs, it doesn't matter what your record is, you can trade up in the draft for a guy you think is your franchise QB.

I understand where you're coming from but I would caution anyone in expecting a quick search for the next quarterback if Darnold doesn't work out. Sure we can point to Pat Mahomes but you can also point to many other teams who were not so fortunate over the last decade or two. Look at how many quarterbacks the Browns drafted before Mayfield and even he is still proving himself. The qb hype of the 2021 draft has temporarily painted over some glaring trends of the past only time will tell how that works out with this recent draft class.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

I understand where you're coming from but I would caution anyone in expecting a quick search for the next quarterback if Darnold doesn't work out. Sure we can point to Pat Mahomes but you can also point to many other teams who were not so fortunate over the last decade or two. Look at how many quarterbacks the Browns drafted before Mayfield and even he is still proving himself. The qb hype of the 2021 draft has temporarily painted over some glaring trends of the past only time will tell how that works out with this recent draft class.

I agree.  I do expect the search to start pretty immediately if Darnold flames out.  Will we find a franchise QB?  That's a much more complicated and scary proposition...  Getting a franchise QB is not easy!

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1