• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Study: GREAT FIT: Why Sam Darnold will be a great Quarterback for the Carolina Panthers.

If this kid starts dropping wins w/300 yard+ 2TD+ games for us, we could be in for a show. 

Tampa's defense could be hard to go against but both ATL and NO are young and nothing special.  I expect Brady to approach things a bit more seasoned, may refine his approach w/ 2nd year adjustments.

And consider an improved OL, CMC-Hubbard, Moore-Robbie-Marshall, & Arnold-Tremble in his spread, we could see a lot of really cool sh*t going on.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I agree.  I do expect the search to start pretty immediately if Darnold flames out.  Will we find a franchise QB?  That's a much more complicated and scary proposition...  Getting a franchise QB is not easy!

Yeah, which is why they pursued Stafford and Watson so heavily. 

I suspect we will start showing a lot more desperation next offseason if the QB position is an issue. That is one of the quickest ways to get canned in the NFL. Keep failing in your QB search.

This is why I was dreading the post Cam era so much.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Same.

Does he understand pass routes? 🤔

I see what you did there, lol.  Seriously, we have several Brits and Aussies’ on our message boards, they’re very knowledgeable.  
They even understand the whole college loyalty, history and tradition thing.  We hosted an Aussie who traveled to the US to see a game and experience a tailgate.

Fun guys, just as passionate as our craziest of the craziest. 

• Beer 2

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, which is why they pursed Stafford and Watson so heavily. 

I suspect we will start showing a lot more desperation next offseason if the QB position is an issue. That is one of the quickest ways to get canned in the NFL. Keep failing in your QB search.

This is why I was dreading the post Cam era so much.

This day was inevitable. The post Cam era actually started in 2016. Ron and Marty made sure of that.  

This staff will not ruin a superstar QB the way Ron did.  The good thing for us is that they are building this team to where they don't have to rely on one to compete.  Unlike Ron and Co.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

I see what you did there, lol.  Seriously, we have several Brits and Aussies’ on our message boards, they’re very knowledgeable.  
They even understand the whole college loyalty, history and tradition thing.  We hosted an Aussie who traveled to the US to see a game and experience a tailgate.

Fun guys, just as passionate as our craziest of the craziest. 

Vincent Richardson, one of the Roaring Riot guys, is from "across the pond".

He's a damn smart football guy too.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This day was inevitable. The post Cam era actually started in 2016. Ron and Marty made sure of that.  

This staff will not ruin a superstar QB the way Ron did.  The good thing for us is that they are building this team to where they don't have to rely on one to compete.  Unlike Ron and Co.

Well, we have to get a superstar QB to ruin, first. Maybe we are building a team that doesn't rely on a superstar to compete. As aggressively as we pursued an established elite QB, I think I see that they view it as a priority.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, we have to get a superstar QB to ruin, first. Maybe we are building a team that doesn't rely on a superstar to compete. As aggressively as we pursued an established elite QB, I think I see that they view it as a priority.

Of course they do.  There are only a hand full of elite QB's in the NFL at any given time and it hasn't deviated from that in my 50+ years of watching.   Waiting on one to fall in your lap before you try to build a complete team is not an option.  You have to build a complete team to be a consistent competitor.  If not you get the Panthers you have always had.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, which is why they pursued Stafford and Watson so heavily. 

I've begun to question whether we ever really "pursued Watson heavily".

I don't doubt that Tepper wanted him, and that was the basis for a lot of the speculation we saw ("Tepper will pay any price" and such) but we've learned since from Matt Rhule that Tepper doesn't interfere in the football side of things, something I and others were very happy to hear.

There have been plenty of details available about the search that led up to Darnold. In those stories, the only mention of Watson has been that they were interested but knew that the Texans weren't trading him.

At this point, I think it's very possible that everybody got fired up over something that wasn't really happening.

I believe there is a legitimate reason to be excited for Darnold in Joe Brady's offense.  With how the offense is structured, I look at the Bridgewater and Burrow stuff w/Brady and see Darnold way more on the Burrow side of things with his tendencies and ability to extend plays.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've begun to question whether we ever really "pursued Watson heavily".

I don't doubt that Tepper wanted him, and that was the basis for a lot of the speculation we saw ("Tepper will pay any price" and such) but we've learned since from Matt Rhule that Tepper doesn't interfere in the football side of things, something I and others were very happy to hear.

There have been plenty of details available about the search that led up to Darnold. In those stories, the only mention of Watson has been that they were interested but knew that the Texans weren't trading him.

At this point, I think it's very possible that everybody got fired up over something that wasn't really happening.

Media pundits started mocking Fields to us because of reports that "Tepper wants Fields" and we all saw how that turned out.

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

Media pundits started mocking Fields to us because of reports that "Tepper wants Fields" and we all saw how that turned out.

Pretty much.

I can see where people might get the idea that Tepper would dictate stuff, but that's turned out to be a false narrative.

And again, that's a good thing.

• Pie 1