• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Study: GREAT FIT: Why Sam Darnold will be a great Quarterback for the Carolina Panthers.

6 hours ago, Thorrez said:

So 32 seconds in the narrator "forget the numbers and watch the tape" while Darnald completes a contested catch 7 yards deep.

What the tape actually shows is the another receiver had both the safety and the corner beat deep and Sam picked up the dink and dunk yards instead. 

I love for this to work, I want us the win now!, But this did not help my fate.

Did he pick up the first down?

I understand the desire for the deep ball but there's two things you have to consider :

The Jets lack of talent and Sam's lack of confidence in that lack of talent.    That was probably one of the rare times a WR actually broke free and beat their man so pardon Sam for just looking to move the chains, which is also very important.

Sam is one interesting QB.

On one hand, he makes some spectacular throws and runs.

On the other hand, makes some really boneheaded throws/reads.

Lots of talent.

Not sure if he has what it takes between the ears.

Hopefully Rhule and Brady can figure this out.

13 minutes ago, Agent Blue said:

Sam is one interesting QB.

On one hand, he makes some spectacular throws and runs.

On the other hand, makes some really boneheaded throws/reads.

Lots of talent.

Not sure if he has what it takes between the ears.

Hopefully Rhule and Brady can figure this out.

Sounds like most gunslinger QBs.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

A couple things are very clear after watching some of the analyses on Darnold.

1 - His improvisational skills and ability to extend a play are great. He is a player that CAN be the difference. Teddy was not that type of player.

2 - His interior offensive line was absolute garbage. Van Roten got destroyed routinely, McGovern could barely handle the guy he was assigned, and Alex Lewis was solid at times but was hurt for a portion of the year. Fant at RT was basically Byron Bell; he would get in the way and if he latched on to you he was good, but he got torched by speed and bend. Becton was the only solid piece on the line. AND his backs? Terrible in pass pro.

3 - Darnold played some damn good defenses last year. Darnold had to play that Bills defense twice, a Belichick defense twice (though shorthanded, they were still coached well), and a Miami defense that proved to be much better than anticipated, twice. And that was just his division. He also played the Colts, the 49ers, the Chargers, and the Seahawks.

4 - He made guys look better than they are. He is owed a nice 'thank you' check from Breshad Perriman for his ability to make him look like a solid number 2 receiver acting as a number 1 for portions of the season out of necessity. Behind his offensive line and with Crowder, his top and only receiver, out for NINE games? Breshad Perriman was the only starting wideout to play 12 games or more. And no running game to speak of. 

5 - Darnold can make every pass. He really can. His arm strength is a little overblown, but his touch is vastly understated. He can throw on the run, he can throw between defenders, over defenders, and throw guys open. He is a legit NFL arm.

6 - All of that being said, Sam is a gambler. He perhaps trusts his ability too much at times. I realize he is trying to make something happen, but oftentimes his risk-taking resulted in failure. He has a little bit of Favre and Delhomme in him. He wants to take shots. That can be both exciting and frustrating. He will need to be more controlled to make this offense work. He doesn't have to risk as much now, but that seems to go against his natural instincts. Can he be coached to take calculated risks? We will see.

Overall, I think the 2021 Panthers will be much more exciting to watch with Darnold at QB. It may not work out, but it won't be for conservative play.

• Pie 4

12 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Grain of salt. Do what you will with this study of him. 

Any one else find yourself wondering if this guy is wearing pants?  I am impressed that a Brit knows so much about American football.  Hats off to him--pants back on, however.  I have standards.

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Any one else find yourself wondering if this guy is wearing pants?  I am impressed that a Brit knows so much about American football.  Hats off to him--pants back on, however.  I have standards.

So you watch this guy and immediately your thought is whether he is wearing pants?   lol

27 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

He has a little bit of Favre and Delhomme in him. He wants to take shots. That can be both exciting and frustrating. He will need to be more controlled to make this offense work. He doesn't have to risk as much now,

His ability to scramble and keep a play alive reminds me of Cam. His gunslinging, or as you probably better put his gambling, reminds me of Jake.

I think he's got a lot of potential that just needs to be channeled. I have every confidence that Rhule and Brady can help him reach that potential.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

How do you know he's not wearing a kilt?

How do you know I'm not? 😐

Some of you guys are taking my statement out of context and you know it. 

We’re gonna know immediately if he has “it” in the new system. It won’t take long. Within the first couple games. I didn’t say cut him after 2 games. But he’s a 3 year vet. This experiment isn’t going to take long to know if he’s a different guy in a new situation. He’s got plenty of arm talent and he can move. He’s got every tool you need to be a quality QB. I actually like him as a player. But is he gonna put it all together? I’m just saying I think we will know pretty early on. 

its just an opinion. Jesus...

at some point it’s gotta be about winning now

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

18 minutes ago, Rubi said:

Some of you guys are taking my statement out of context and you know it. 

We’re gonna know immediately if he has “it” in the new system. It won’t take long. Within the first couple games. I didn’t say cut him after 2 games. But he’s a 3 year vet. This experiment isn’t going to take long to know if he’s a different guy in a new situation. He’s got plenty of arm talent and he can move. He’s got every tool you need to be a quality QB. I actually like him as a player. But is he gonna put it all together? I’m just saying I think we will know pretty early on. 

its just an opinion. Jesus...

at some point it’s gotta be about winning now

Don't waste your breath. Bridgewater was anointed the next franchise quarterback this time last year too.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 hours ago, Rubi said:

We’re gonna know within about 2 games or less if he’s going to be a long term solution IMO 

We will not.  At a minimum, 8 games.  And maybe as much as two years.  Personally, I was not sure Cam was going to be a long term qb until the New England game when he lead us on a game winning drive.  Of course, injury shortened him, but the difference between a decent NFL qb's and a very good NFL qb is how they perform in crunch time.  I can't imagine we will know that after two games.   

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1