• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person live Q&A

Mr. Scot

3 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Pre draft on the huddle: “Tepper is going to ruin this team. We need to get this coaching staff and Tepper out of Charlotte. All he cares about is soccer. He wants a QB and he’s going to interfere with the decision making to get his guy. He’s another Jerry Jones.”

During the draft on the huddle: “This staff doesn’t know what they are doing. These trade downs are stupid. Look at all the talent going off the board. These guys don’t seem to have a plan. Half these rookies won’t make the roster. It’s all about Fit being able to say Darnold cost us nothing. We have to get these guys out of here. Rhule is just a college coach.”

Post draft huddle: “We absolutely crushed this draft! Fit did a masterful job trading back, adding valuable assets and filling out this roster. We have a clear direction. We want to play press man coverage and we want athletes! The plan is clearly coming together. It’s so refreshing to see Tepper is letting the football scouts and coaches make the football decisions.”

LOL

Thing is, the huddle isn’t a hive mind. The dumbasses whining before and during the draft might have just been the loudest, but most of the established contributors and level headed folks were either on board or in a wait and see situation. 

Me? I’m just happy that Rivera, Hurney and Bridgewater are gone. Everything else is bonus 🙂

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, frankw said:

...Let us all hope that the two quarterbacks we passed on are mediocre,,,

LOL - I don't give a rat's ass about the 2 QBs we "passed" on.  I was never obsessed with getting a QB.  I'll keep up with these bozos about as much as I keep up with the other 250 players we passed on at pick 8.

• Beer 2

4 hours ago, Martin said:

Not sure if you subscribe to the Athletic or not, but Joe is doing a lot of good writing in there, not the same as when he was at the Observer.

I know a lot of people like to bash him because he is not breaking news. His article today about Jaycee Horn was excellent.

If Joe has improved in his prose then great.  That doesn't make up for the decade of moronic questions, shite articles and a general malaise to the subject matter.  He flat out sucked.  And I wont pay to see if he got better.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

braced the rebuild (and given that he was on an expiring contract, that's not surprising). The end result wound up being kind of a partial, half ass rebuild that included signing guys like Bridgewater.

oh man, that is perfect Hurney.  

Tepper spends 60 million bucks on The Process, and in the first year, Hurney is like "I don't know, I've got some ideas otherwise."

Good luck, Marty.

You'll need it.

2 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

oh man, that is perfect Hurney.  

Tepper spends 60 million bucks on The Process, and in the first year, Hurney is like "I don't know, I've got some ideas otherwise."

Good luck, Marty.

You'll need it.

I suspect that has a lot to do with why he's now employed elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

While attempting to trade up, the Bears didn't offer the Panthers as good a deal as they did the Giants (which doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's the Bears)

That makes sense if you think the Bears were starting to get desperate to make the move up and the other teams turned down what they offered.

8 hours ago, Martin said:

Not sure if you subscribe to the Athletic or not, but Joe is doing a lot of good writing in there, not the same as when he was at the Observer.

I know a lot of people like to bash him because he is not breaking news. His article today about Jaycee Horn was excellent.

I've never regretted my subscription to The Athletic.  Great coverage across the board, and Person is as good as any of the other writers they have. Joe does better with the long-form format The Athletic has vs the still truncated form of traditional papers trying to fit a set amount of words onto a physical space on the newspaper that he had to contend with being with the Observer.

He still can come off like a tool in interviews, but he's a good writer and probably covers the Panthers in the furthest depth of anyone currently covering the team. Him and Jourdan Rodrigue were really great together but she left to cover the Rams.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

I was never obsessed with getting a QB. 

Hey it's all fun and games in the offseason until your qb sucks come November and December. Good thing we aren't banking on a draft bust rejuvenating his career right? I will look forward to getting your take on things late in the year.

7 hours ago, frankw said:

Of all the quarterbacks to stake your job and reputation on out of the gate I'm not sure Sam Darnold behind an until proven otherwise suspect offensive line fits the bill but here we are. We have seen this patting ourselves on the back after the draft dog and pony show before. The approach was different but will the results be? Let us all hope that the two quarterbacks we passed on are mediocre and Sam Darnold has a career year. Even the most optimistic fan should wince a little reading that if they know their Panthers history.

Well he said the coaches and scouts saw Darnold ahead of Fields.  If the coaches and scouts werent that impressed with Fields from their scouting then why take him?

17 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Well he said the coaches and scouts saw Darnold ahead of Fields.  If the coaches and scouts werent that impressed with Fields from their scouting then why take him?

They offered that same pick to the Lions for Matthew Stafford. Why is it out of the question that they considered going qb? We'll never know how they felt about Fields or Lance other than whispers and rumors since now they put all their chips in on Darnold. The truth about Sam that homers don't want to talk about is he has three seasons of tape as a bust. Folks can cherry pick good plays here and there in losing games and howl Adam Gase's name at the moon all they want but the proof is in the pudding.

8 hours ago, frankw said:

They offered that same pick to the Lions for Matthew Stafford. Why is it out of the question that they considered going qb? We'll never know how they felt about Fields or Lance other than whispers and rumors since now they put all their chips in on Darnold. The truth about Sam that homers don't want to talk about is he has three seasons of tape as a bust. Folks can cherry pick good plays here and there in losing games and howl Adam Gase's name at the moon all they want but the proof is in the pudding.

Well we do have a good idea how they felt about Fields.  He was there for the taking and they chose not to.