• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just how good are we expecting Jaycee Horn to be?

2 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

You evidently don't know anything about his college play, and the stats of elite receivers that can't produce against him. 

What? I don't know??? I was just asking y'all if you thought he was the truth lol. My question isn't me slandering him or anything 

• Pie 1

The one thing that has me a little worried, is that I was looking at Kiper's 2021 mock draft that he did right after the 2020 draft, and Horn wasn't in his first round, but probably 6 or 7 other CB's were.

Obviously I'm not saying I'm judging him solely on that, but not being a big college football follower, it makes me wonder if he wasn't really high on radar's after last year and maybe he had a big year this year that vaulted him up boards?  

Sometimes those one year wonders make me a little more nervous as opposed to guys who have been highly rated for years.

But besides that, I like what I've seen/heard about him, just hope he wasn't a one year flash in the pan type

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Expectations will be too high on him from the Fields fanboys.  He will never live up to their expectations.

As for me?  Not sure, maybe something resembling a potential long term solution at CB1 by the end of the season would be nice.

Criticism of the pick doesn't necessarily equal criticism of the player. I still don't really like the selection. However, everything I have read about the player has me excited. We haven't had a corner this talented since John Fox, at least. 

Right or wrong, living up to the expectations of passing on Fields/Jones is going to be Darnold's job. If Sammy balls out, nobody will have a word to say about it. If Jones or Fields outperforms Hey Darnold, though, Rhule and Fitt are gonna feel some heat. 

None of that has anything to do with Horn. We didn't pass on Fields for Jaycee, we passed on him for The Ginger Avenger.

Good enough to deal with any big WR he faces.

Good enough that QBs will test him for a short period of time them will avoid throwing his way which will result in low stats for him.

Good enough to quickly be the best CB we ever had and in the next couple years the best in the division.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

35 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Good enough to deal with any big WR he faces.

Good enough that QBs will test him for a short period of time them will avoid throwing his way which will result in low stats for him.

Good enough to quickly be the best CB we ever had and in the next couple years the best in the division.

Then we stick him on #1s every week.  If they wont throw at him out of fear, we got we wanted.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

Then we stick him on #1s every week.  If they wont throw at him out of fear, we got we wanted.

We worried about this Pitts pick, but then we got Horn. Fear = gone.

Put either Chinn or horn on him, then that particular threat is neutralized. I mean they still have a couple other 'ok' WRs, but they had them before and they still picked 4th.

23 minutes ago, rayzor said:

We worried about this Pitts pick, but then we got Horn. Fear = gone.

Put either Chinn or horn on him, then that particular threat is neutralized. I mean they still have a couple other 'ok' WRs, but they had them before and they still picked 4th.

ATL reshuffled the o-line right?  No more Alex Mack? Press cover the outsides with Horn/Bouye, push the pocket back Brown/Jones/Nixon, roll Chinn to whichever side they send Pitts to....

spacer.png

• Pie 1

I expect him to frustrate the hell out of top receivers.  He looks like he spars like some of the better ones do and uses his hands.  Yes, it can create penalties, maybe early on, but the best learn how to really do it well and he looks like it's in his blood.  He's going to knock guys off their routes early, may get burnt by speedsters from time to time but he should keep his side of the field quiet it he pans out.  He's not going to be ballhawking but more so frustrate offenses to the point where they avoiding throwing his way.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, CRA said:

Last 10 years, Top 10 DBs.  Pretty boom or bust.  Gilmore being the lone exception probably.   Some still have time but I wouldn’t put them on Gilmore’s path when you look at them early vs him early.  He played out his full contract at Buffalo. 

2011 -Peterson - Pro Bowler, year 2.  Pro Bowl year one was returning. 

2012- Claiborne -JAG, on 3rd team 

2012 - Barron - JAG, on 4th team

2012 - Gilmore - Pro Bowler in 7th year with 2nd team 

2013 - Milliner - bust - out of league

2014 - Gilbert - bust, new team by year 3 

2016- Ramsey - All Pro/Pro Bowler, year 2

2016 - Apple - bust, on 3rd team

2018 - Ward- Pro Bowler, year 1

2020 -  Okudah -TBD

Not sure you can bring Barron into this. He was a tweener coming into the league. That’s like saying Thomas Davis was a bad corner. Bc they were basically the same player in college.

also, 3 of the corners on your list were average athletes. Milliner/Claiborne/Gilbert.

I wouldn’t put them in the same category as horn.

I think his rookie year will be more Derrick Brown than Luke Kuechly.   

only difference is I think Horn will get more talk than Brown did and be under a bigger microscope by the fan base on a weekly basis.  A lot of that is just the nature of the position.   You stand out more on an island vs Julio Jones or DeAndre Hopkins.