• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Wingo and Tony Pauline on Panthers draft class

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I’m sorry, but I like their chances way better for 2021. You’re a blind homer if you like our chances better. 

I'm no homer I can assure you. I like how the FO was aggressive in addressing all the needs but like you state, the odds of everyone working out are very remote. That doesn't mean that we won't be a much improved team though and I do like our chances against them much better today than last year.  

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

Don't forget the continuity of going with Shula after Ron's first OC left. That was supposed to have been better for Cam instead of bringing in someone from outside the team.

great example! i don't have a problem with continuity, though I'm more a fan of adaptation and evolution and continually trying to get better. 

if you're doing something right, keep doing it until it doesn't work anymore.

if it's not working out so great, though....move on. in that context, continuity is overrated.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

great example! i don't have a problem with continuity, though I'm more a fan of adaptation and evolution and continually trying to get better. 

if you're doing something right, keep doing it until it doesn't work anymore.

if it's not working out so great, though....move on. in that context, continuity is overrated.

Well said.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Of course getting to the Super Bowl is extraordinarily difficult, getting back is even more so with every opponent looking to knock off the champs.

However, Tampa has taken the first important step in their goal of returning to the championship game:

... the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' main task during the off-season was to 'keep the band together,' which they accomplished in unprecedented fashion.

All 22 starting players who took the field against the Chiefs will be back in action in Florida next season. The likes of TE Rob Gronkowski, MLB Lavonte David, WR Antonio Brown and RB Leonard Fournette (and many more) all signed back on for another crack at the Super Bowl, with QB Tom Brady at the helm.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers-draft-picks-2021-who-buccaneers-pick-full-list-selections

the question is, how long are they going to be able to keep that aging band together and just how effective will they be as time goes on?

1 hour ago, bigdavis said:

I can't agree with that "ridiculous continuity" statement.

It's a common idea that each SB champ will be the next year's favorite to repeat.  But as this list shows, it doesn't work out that way;

https://www.topendsports.com/events/super-bowl/winners-list.htm

No repeaters in the last 10 years! If anything, THAT's continuity -- the inability to repeat.  In fact, only 3 of those last 10 winners even GOT to the SB the next season.  Why?  Complacency, salaries, trades, parity through drafting?  Who knows; but it is a trend, not an outlier that SB winners don't repeat, regardless of "experts" forecasts.

I grant you that Tom Brady has won 4 of the last 10, but that's HIS continuity, not the team's.  Anyway, don't anoint them just yet.

and i know it may seem like it, but brady is not immortal.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, classics said:

Continuity is not always a good thing. Age WILL eventually get to Brady and everyone will be gunning for them this year. Needless to say they will still be good but I like our chances better after the FA signings and draft.

It will but he could get a few more rings before that retirement hits unfortunately.

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

Continuity is not always good? What could that possibly mean? It’s not good that the OL knows what they should do on every play? It’s not good that the WRs and QBs are used to each other?

I’m sorry, but I like their chances way better for 2021. You’re a blind homer if you like our chances better. This goes back to the old hope of the draft. There is a tiny chance, as some have mentioned, that we pull 6 starters from the draft. There is a tiny chance that the OL is fixed and our FA OL play at a level they’ve never played at before.

I like our draft and some of the FAs, but the chance that it all works out this year instantly is very slim. All Tampa has to do is avoid injuries. Look at our 2016, even with the decimation of our OL (one starter played the correct spot all year, were down to 3rd string C, had Remmers at LT, etc.) and other injuries we were a Ganope away from 9-7/10-6. That’s what an already talented team gets you. Had our OL been healthy, we make the playoffs again like 2017.

We in 2021 aren’t there yet and Tampa is. I’d take the odds with established NFL talent every day over hoping FAs and rookies play at a high level. Don’t get me wrong, Brady will retire at some point and I like our future, especially if we can get good OL play, but a lucky with injuries Tampa has this division.

I don't see 6 starters but I do see a possibility of 7 or 8 players drafted seeing significant playing time. 

• Beer 1