• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Slide: Daviyon Nixon

kungfoodude

44 minutes ago, stbugs said:

100% agree. I would have taken Tre Smith in the 6th and LS after the draft. Heck, some people liked Forsythe and he went a few picks before Fletcher. Probably wouldn’t have been hard to trade up to get him before Seattle (who hadn’t addressed OL all draft). We need OL help/depth. Do we know who of Brown, Smith or Moore will work out? Who cares if we get all 3? Fitterer did a great job trading down and still getting solid guys, better than I thought would be there. I just felt like we settled with the LS going for pure need. Worst case is the WFT LS was there in UDFA, best case our guy was and we have another potential day 2 talent fighting for an OL spot.

Think Greg Hardy.  Not talking outcome, I am saying, while he was here for the most part, he did OK.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Let’s hope he can mature but if not oh well it was only a 5th round pick.

honestly I don’t understand why teams don’t start making programs to help these troubled prospects. Some need mental help, some just need good people to be around. I mean for all the money invested in players and in the nfl you would think they would look after the troubled players more often. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Let’s hope he can mature but if not oh well it was only a 5th round pick.

honestly I don’t understand why teams don’t start making programs to help these troubled prospects. Some need mental help, some just need good people to be around. I mean for all the money invested in players and in the nfl you would think they would look after the troubled players more often. 

Well...I don't disagree with that sentiment however most regular employers don't have programs for their employees that fug up.

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I wonder if they gave him a call before the pick and told him they expect a professional with no childish incidence. 

I kind of doubt that. Not sure that would be the most professional way to start their relationship.

Frankly, if you believe you HAVE to say that to him, you just simply don't draft him.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well...I don't disagree with that sentiment however most regular employers don't have programs for their employees that fug up.

My employer does, but it's a 2 way street. People have to want to be helped in order for it to work

10 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

My employer does, but it's a 2 way street. People have to want to be helped in order for it to work

I have some employers that have but it is a rarity and somewhat required for them. 

Either way, I would hope we wouldn't take a guy that we would think needs that kind of counseling. I am sure the organization believes whatever issues he had were behind him.

4 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I wonder if they gave him a call before the pick and told him they expect a professional with no childish incidence. 

I think that’s a conversation you have with the player’s agent sometime between the draft and when he signs his contract.  

11 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I remember an interview/tv excerpt that talked about how the Vikings had a handler for Cris Carter that basically followed him around and scared off dealers, sycophants, etc.. That’s crazy to consider, but it was good for him and for the team. Pro sports/media/fans expect so much out of these guys who are just regular humans with extraordinary athletic talent. Lots of other types of celebrities have handlers/minders. I can’t imagine that NFL teams wouldn’t also employ them. 

5 hours ago, Panther'sBigD said:

I remember an interview/tv excerpt that talked about how the Vikings had a handler for Cris Carter that basically followed him around and scared off dealers, sycophants, etc.. That’s crazy to consider, but it was good for him and for the team. Pro sports/media/fans expect so much out of these guys who are just regular humans with extraordinary athletic talent. Lots of other types of celebrities have handlers/minders. I can’t imagine that NFL teams wouldn’t also employ them. 

I am not saying it doesn't happen but I don't think every team is doing that anymore. Remember, the NFL was a lot more wild west only 20-25 years ago than it is now. Every single aspect of these guys lives gets broadcast everywhere. Harder for them to cover up shenanigans and keep it away from the media.

6 hours ago, Panther'sBigD said:

Blowboys have a team of helpers for all their players.

I couldn't find any issues, been looking since op. He has(had) a learning disability, worked summer jobs to buy equipment,  and seems like a momma's boy. I think Walter is blowing smoke on this one

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thegazette.com/hawkeye-football/for-iowas-daviyon-nixon-football-means-more-than-an-nfl-career-its-family/%3famp=1

Edited by Clicheking
  • Pie 1