• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fitterer: We want Sam Darnold to just flush what's happened

NAS

5 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Poor David Carr, he was ruined by the sacking.... Trent Dilfer about the only one I can think of that was able to over come the rough beginnings. To a point Carson Palmer too. 

I will say his interviews give a little hope, but its truly doesnt matter til the pads are on and 280LB man-beasts are trying to legally kill you. Need a special group of coaches to over come seeing ghosts.....I know know whom to call....

new york film GIF

I'm crowning him Ghost Rider

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Not bad, right now my go-to is the ginger cringer. I got to see him play in a panther colors before I know which nick-name to roll with. 

Some of the Jets fans made fun of him and called him Shrek 'cause he looks like Shrek.

1 minute ago, glenwo2 said:

Some of the Jets fans made fun of him and called him Shrek 'cause he looks like Shrek.

Jet's fans have no room to make fun of anyone.  Besides, their opinion amounts to a mouse fart in a hurricane.  He's our Ghost Rider now so they can F*CK OFF!

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't care about a long TD pass. I care about sustained success. I am not going to lose my poo over finally seeing a long TD pass. 

I will be impressed with Darnold when he is making smart decisions and winning games. That is the bar.

Yep  this 

the game that Darnold leads the Panthers, on the road, downfield for a  victory against a tough, quality  opponent is the day we know we have a QB

the game that he does the same at home is when fans will start to embrace him 

until then, it’s just as LG says, ‘another reclamation project’

i wish Darnold the best but in this league, bravery is called for...and winning   

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Going to respond to both your posts here.

The front office shouldn't be optimistic about the guys they have brought in? What would you rather have, them going around saying these guys suck and we'll be out of a job next year?

Why can't Darnold approach this season like he is a rookie, clearing his mind, and be open to learning from the coaches? Is there some law that states he cannot have an open mind and forget about being in NY the last three years?

They didn't go all in on offense in the draft. You do remember they picked a corner with the eighth pick right? And then took a another corner and DT later in the draft? Yeah, the Panthers drafted more offensive guys than defensive this time, but they needed to do that no matter who the QB is.

Would you rather they didn't act like they expect Darnold to stick? Would you rather they came out and said "Yeah, he sucked in NY. We expect him to suck here, and will replace him next season. So, don't worry about it fans. Buy the merchandise and tickets all season. You'll be rewarded with another high draft pick!" Perception and public opinion are powerful things. If the Panthers believe in Darnold, he might believe in himself and forget about the Jets, and maybe some of the fans will too. 

He's on the team and the starting QB. The Panthers are giving him a chance. There is no use being upset about it since you couldn't do anything about it except for not watching them play or buying merch this year.

Where did I say don't be optimistic? He isn't a rookie though. He's entering his fourth season which is a factor that should be a boost for him entering a pivotal year with a new team and a new offense. Drafting two receivers in the same draft is pretty big considering recent history of the team and our inability to pinpoint talent at receiver aside from DJ Moore. When was the last time we took two receivers in the same draft? As far as how they are approaching this from a public relations perspective I hope this is them learning after watching the dynamic between the last two starting quarterbacks sour and eventually just go nuclear which isn't good for anyone. Bridgewater obviously was not the quarterback we needed but the front office tanked his value by trashing him to the media and if we are being truthful that is a a significant part of why it took so long to trade him and likely had an impact on his return value. I don't know why you would think I'm upset about Darnold if anything knowing our history I am cautiously optimistic but I also want the front office to learn and adapt not just to personnel decisions but how to deal with players on an individual level and hopefully this is coming to fruition with Sam.

Edited by frankw

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It seems like it is hard for some of these young QB's to recover from tough first stops in the NFL. I wish it was just as easy as being able to forget it all.

Yes,. you're right. It's true. However, I'd also like to point out that they rarely have the chance to restart so soon. The Jets became the first team in modern draft history to draft a QB in the top 3 twice within 3 years. Has there ever been a QB traded to another team so soon and so young after being a top pick?

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Jet's fans have no room to make fun of anyone.  Besides, their opinion amounts to a mouse fart in a hurricane.  He's our Ghost Rider now so they can F*CK OFF!

The Jets have won a Super Bowl.

With a QB they liked.

And respected.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

One of the best traits of any QB is the ability to move on from a bad play/interception/bad game, etc  

It's not asking much of Sam to flush the bad in NY.  

The fact that they aren't holding any of that against him is actually the best thing they can do.  

• Pie 1