• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fitterer: We want Sam Darnold to just flush what's happened

NAS

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

i think you're right. there are a lot who shouldn't have been drafted as early as they were. i think there were also a lot of others who just fell into the wrong situation. 

i just feel like these guys are not just saying all the right things, they are saying the right things because they are doing the right things. they've got it figured out and what they don't have figured out, they are on their way to figuring it out.

i honestly can't think of a better situation for Darnold to be in to help him get it figured out and reach his potential. like i've said before, i don't think there are any guarantees. i do think that they will be putting everything into it. 

i also don't think that they are putting themselves into a hole that they can't climb out of with him. It's a safe bet in that he didn't cost too much and it won't cost too much to move on from him and move on to the next one. it's a safe bet, but it could net a pretty nice sized purse.

Maybe we have way too much belief in our current staff(certainly possible that is the case) but it would be hard to envision many other scenarios in the NFL where Darnold would have the organizational structure to be successful.

I definitely don't think the team is necessarily set up perfectly for him, as he may not have a much better OL scenario than the Jets. But, I do think if he isn't successful here then his future suitors will likely be interested in him as a backup only. This is probably one of the last chances he is going to get to be a surefire starter in the NFL if he  flames out.

I didn't love the decision to pick up his 5th year option but I completely understand it.

Now we get to sit back and watch it all unfold. Fingers firmly crossed. I don't want to extend our QB drought to 4+ seasons. 

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

25 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Yes,. you're right. It's true. However, I'd also like to point out that they rarely have the chance to restart so soon. The Jets became the first team in modern draft history to draft a QB in the top 3 twice within 3 years. Has there ever been a QB traded to another team so soon and so young after being a top pick?

Yes. Josh Rosen. They pulled the plug even more quickly on him and he is tracking quickly towards being out of the league.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yes. Josh Rosen. They pulled the plug even more quickly on him and he is tracking quickly towards being out of the league.

I didn't like Rosen coming out of UCLA at all - had spotty accuracy.

The fact they chased him off after a single season suggests he's either awful in practice or an awful culture fit. 

22 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I didn't like Rosen coming out of UCLA at all - had spotty accuracy.

The fact they chased him off after a single season suggests he's either awful in practice or an awful culture fit. 

He has basically gotten chased from two teams. He just isn't an NFL player. Not all of these first round guys are.

9 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

They are really pushing the Darnold victim storyline lol. The jets actually had some decent weapons in Bell, Crowder, Robby, Mims. All which got worse with Darnold.

I agree with that sentiment. There is no question some of his struggles had to do with his mismanagement in NY but a portion of the blame lies with Darnold. 

His time in Carolina will tell whether the greater portion of blame lies with the Jets and Gase or with Darnold himself.

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I agree with that sentiment. There is no question some of his struggles had to do with his mismanagement in NY but a portion of the blame lies with Darnold. 

His time in Carolina will tell whether the greater portion of blame lies with the Jets and Gase or with Darnold himself.

Honestly, regardless of what happens with Darnold, I'd say it's pretty well established that Gase is sh-t.

• Pie 1

37 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

They are really pushing the Darnold victim storyline lol. The jets actually had some decent weapons in Bell, Crowder, Robby, Mims. All which got worse with Darnold.

Tbf Gase did not want bell and it showed. They didn’t run him the way he needs to flourish. Like a square peg in a round hole. Gase had major issues with play design and play calling. 

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Bell looked pretty bad on that team, which just shows you how bad it was there. He was cut after two years. Literally went from being one of the league’s top backs to cut from team in less than 2 years of playing for the Jets. Anderson was solid in New York but was almost strictly a deep threat. He looked a good bit better in his one year away from the Jets and showed he can do more than just run deep routes. This should show us that they’re will be improvement in Darnold leaving the Jets/Gase, but the question is how much?

3 hours ago, frankw said:

Where did I say don't be optimistic? He isn't a rookie though. He's entering his fourth season which is a factor that should be a boost for him entering a pivotal year with a new team and a new offense. Drafting two receivers in the same draft is pretty big considering recent history of the team and our inability to pinpoint talent at receiver aside from DJ Moore. When was the last time we took two receivers in the same draft? As far as how they are approaching this from a public relations perspective I hope this is them learning after watching the dynamic between the last two starting quarterbacks sour and eventually just go nuclear which isn't good for anyone. Bridgewater obviously was not the quarterback we needed but the front office tanked his value by trashing him to the media and if we are being truthful that is a a significant part of why it took so long to trade him and likely had an impact on his return value. I don't know why you would think I'm upset about Darnold if anything knowing our history I am cautiously optimistic but I also want the front office to learn and adapt not just to personnel decisions but how to deal with players on an individual level and hopefully this is coming to fruition with Sam.

I may have misinterpreted your statement about the FO being different than fans, but it reads like you don't feel the FO should be optimistic. True Darnold is not a rookie, but there is no reason he can't approach the season as if he isn't one since from statements made, it appears the team is sort of considering that approach with him. If it works or not, we'll have to wait and see.

Different guys in charge now and making the picks. They might have a better idea when it comes to WR talent than Marty and Co did. The last time the Panthers took two receivers was just a few days ago.

I agree with you about hoping they have learned from how they handled Cam and Teddy. Both were handled poorly and it doesn't reflect well on the team. And yeah, it killed any trade value they might have had.

Your posts regarding Darnold come across as negative even if that isn't your intention.

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Is that what I said? No, the team is giving him the best possible chance to succeed. That's all you can do. I just hope that if he fails, we move on quickly just like we did when Teddy failed.

So does that mean you give him one year to prove himself? Or one year before you start bringing in competition?

I think realistically, 2 years. This season, and next bc, likely we will still need to tweek some things to get the roster put together how they envision it.

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Bell looked pretty bad on that team, which just shows you how bad it was there. He was cut after two years. Literally went from being one of the league’s top backs to cut from team in less than 2 years of playing for the Jets. Anderson was solid in New York but was almost strictly a deep threat. He looked a good bit better in his one year away from the Jets and showed he can do more than just run deep routes. This should show us that they’re will be improvement in Darnold leaving the Jets/Gase, but the question is how much?

Anderson was good in NY before Darnold arrived, Crowder was coming off a career year, Mims showed a lot of potential when Flacco played. Darnold was holding those guys back for the most part. If Flacco played all of last season the jets offense would have been much better.

• Beer 1

51 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I use to not understand why the Jets always struggle.  They are not in a tough division.  I have decided they just aren't ran well. Much like the Texans. 

In the last 10 seasons the Texans (Panthers) have:

- 7 winning seasons (Panthers 3).

- 6 division titles (Panthers 3, one w/ a losing record LOL!).

- 10 playoffs games (Panthers 6).

NOTE:  In last 10-seasons Texans have same number of winning seasons (7) as Panthers have in their 26-year history.

PS...you are correct about the Jets, "they just aren't ran well"...LOL.

Edited by SizzleBuzz