• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

IF we hadn’t beaten Washington

mcsmoak

29 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Actually, yes they were or rather yes Joe Douglas was.

The writing was on the Wall during that season from hell. 

Yes, Adam Gase was history but Joe Douglas(Jets GM) wanted to draft HIS OWN GUY (as Sam was drafted by the previous GM) so he was gonzo no matter what.

Douglas himself has said they actually weren't, and even after the trade went down they were second-guessing themselves.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That was before the Darnold trade.

Once they got Darnold, they were out of the quarterback market but they didn't want anybody to know that.

but if we had traded to 3 there is a chance we wouldn't have signed Darnold.  Here again the OP asked what what would have happened if we hadn't beat Washington.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Several sources have confirmed we weren't interested in Lance because they didn't feel like he fit Joe Brady's system.

Several sources also confirmed we liked Jones or Fields.  Several sources also were convinced San Fran was going Jones.  You just never know.  The fact we acted uninterested in Lance might tell you something.

None of this really matters at this point, but I do find it somewhat curious that we supposedly inquired about pick 3.

All we know for sure is that we liked Darnold more than Jones or Fields.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

but if we had traded to 3 there is a chance we wouldn't have signed Darnold.  Here again the OP asked what what would have happened if we hadn't beat Washington.

Several sources also confirmed we liked Jones or Fields.  Several sources also were convinced San Fran was going Jones.  You just never know.  The fact we acted uninterested in Lance might tell you something.

None of this really matters at this point, but I do find it somewhat curious that we supposedly inquired about pick 3.

All we know for sure is that we liked Darnold more than Jones or Fields.

There's a difference between pre-draft sources and post-draft sources. Once there's no more need to bullsh-t anybody, you can generally get a pretty honest answer.

There were indeed people within the building who liked Fields, David Tepper being one of them. Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer? Not so much. And since they were the ones making the decision, here we are.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's a difference between pre-draft sources and post-draft sources. Once there's no more need to bullsh-t anybody, you can generally get a pretty honest answer.

There were indeed people within the building who liked Fields, David Tepper being one of them. Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer? Not so much. And since they were the ones making the decision, here we are.

what?  you are trying to prove a point to points I didn't even make.

I said apparently we liked Darnold more than Fields.  The fact we didn't draft him when we had the chance to says that.  Do you disagree with that?

I also said that there were reports early in the draft process that we inquired about trading to 3.  Do you agree with that?  

If that is true, who we were we interested in?  My guess would be a QB.  I can't see them trying to trade up that far for a non-QB.

10 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

what?  you are trying to prove a point to points I didn't even make.

I said apparently we liked Darnold more than Fields.  The fact we didn't draft him when we had the chance to says that.  Do you disagree with that?

I also said that there were reports early in the draft process that we inquired about trading to 3.  Do you agree with that?  

If that is true, who we were we interested in?  My guess would be a QB.  I can't see them trying to trade up that far for a non-QB.

I pointed out earlier that at the time they were looking at that trade, they didn't have Darnold.

So yes it's possible they could have been looking at trading up for a shot at someone else (likely Wilson, based on what we've learned since) but it's not guaranteed.

Again though, once Darnold was on board, there was pretty much no shot of a QB being taken at #8.

We just had to make it look like there was.

1 minute ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

We probably could have traded back and still gotten Horn. No matter how anyone wants to spin it, that W cost this team.

I think Sewell would have been in play. 

We put out a lot of information right before draft night about all the teams we were talking to about trading down with.  Felt like we were trying to give the impression that someone was trying to move up for a QB, hoping that one team would, which would help our chances of getting Sewell.  We needed 4 QBs to go before us to have a good chance for him.  Horn was probably going to be there either way.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I pointed out earlier that at the time they were looking at that trade, they didn't have Darnold.

So yes it's possible they could have been looking at trading up for a shot at someone else (likely Wilson, based on what we've learned since) but it's not guaranteed.

Again though, once Darnold was on board, there was pretty much no shot of a QB being taken at #8.

We just had to make it look like there was.

Why Wilson?  Everyone knew Jets were going QB at 2.  Trading with Miami would have been for QB3.

There was little chance of us taking a QB that we really liked at #8, I would agree with that.  Not only did we make it look like we might, we also tried to sell the idea that other teams were looking to trade up with us.  I think were trying to get Sewell to fall to us to be honest, but that is just a guess.

29 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Depends on how you define “we”.  

we know from reporting that some wanted Fields over Horn.   And that was Fields was debated until the end.   Which means it likely wasn’t just Tepper given he voiced he was going to stay out of it and let his staff do whatever. 

Just now, CRA said:

Depends on how you define “we”.  

we know from reporting that some wanted Fields over Horn.   And that was Fields was debated until the end.   Which means it wasn’t just Tepper liking him. 

"We" is whoever made the decision.