• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

IF we hadn’t beaten Washington

mcsmoak

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Actually, in the last weeks before the draft, Verge repeatedly said we wouldn't take a quarterback.

Likewise, Jeremy Fowler reported that despite the Panthers putting out their willingness to take a quarterback, most of the other teams in the league weren't buying it.

It was a smokescreen, and one that apparently worked more effectively on fans and some analysts than it did on other teams.

Actually, Verge has confirmed post draft the Fields talk was real and there were people inside the org that wanted Fields.   The Horn side won the decision on the 8th pick.  

...as have other insiders and reporters.  

and it’s a safe bet the Seattle GM was a strong Horn guy.  And he is the most important vote. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We actually know just the opposite from both Person and Gantt.

Person was asked this in his Q&A:

Do you think the Fields talk was to bait other teams to trade up? Same with holding off on Darnold's option until after the draft?

His answer:

Yes and yes. Though Tepper's affinity for Fields was real.

if that's not enough, throw in this from Gantt's article detailing what took place in the war room...

Then the Bengals took LSU wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase in the fifth spot, followed by the Dolphins taking Alabama wide receiver Jaylen Waddle with the sixth pick, and there was a chorus of "yes," from the draft room.

With only one team between them and their turn, the Panthers were this close to having their choice of either Penei Sewell (the top left tackle on their board, at a position they could use) or Jaycee Horn (the top cornerback on their board, at a position they could use). Quarterback Justin Fields being available provided bait if someone wanted to make a move.

So no, it wasn't "debated until the end". By the time the pick was up, that debate was long over.

also when the "reports" came out that we were talking to 5 teams if I remember correctly about trading down, that told me we weren't interested in Fields.   It was pretty clear we were hoping someone would trade up in front of us for Fields, which would greatly increase our chance for Sewell.

There was a very good chance Trevor, Wilson, and Lance ware going top 3.  Pitts to Atlanta, and not crazy to think Bengals would take Chase and Miami go Waddle.  That leaves Detroit.  We were probably hoping someone would trade with Detroit to grab Fields.

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

Actually, Verge has confirmed post draft the Fields talk was real and there were people inside the org that wanted Fields.   The Horn side won the decision on the 8th pick.  

and it’s a safe bet the Seattle GM was a strong Horn guy.  And he is the most important vote. 

From the third post in this thread, regarding who the Panthers would have taken if they had been at number three...

2 hours ago, Verge said:

1. Pitts 
2. Sewell 
3. Chase 
4. Horn

And from just a few posts later, specifically to you...

2 hours ago, Verge said:

I don't think they had any intention of drafting a QB in this class unless it was Lawrence as more stuff comes out.

Not sure what in your head is rearranging that to say that they were still interested in Fields when it's actually saying just the opposite.

The talk that there were people in the building who liked Fields was certainly real.

The judgment that Scott Fitterer and Matt Rhule were not among those people is also obviously true.

When they went into the war room, their draft board was set, and they followed it.

There was no "debate till the end".

Edited by Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

Plenty of reports that the Fields talk/debate was real.  And yes, Fields being there did make our position more attractive to others if they wanted to our spot.  

Verge said the talk was real on Fields. So have local guys like Ellis and a lot of traditional NFL insiders (like MoveTheSticks and others) 

I lean there way over the picture a Panther employee is painting after the draft.  

Lol at you if you think Ellis knows anything.

Verge had mentioned names that were never ever in play at 8 this year. Just like she did last year with Simmons. 

Same goes for Daniel Jeremiah. Mocked us Surtain this year at 8 in his final mock. That tells you all you need to know about how connected these people are to the Panthers FO.

I will say this one last time. If Rhule thought Fields was a franchise QB he’d be a Carolina Panther.

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

I know there were some people in the building like Fields, but not the right people. Once Darnold became our QB we became committed to him, clearly. I also thought we would have taken Mac Jones at 8, which obviously was not the case. Fields was not in the conversation at 8, not really anyway. 

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Verge had mentioned names that were never ever in play at 8 this year. Just like she did last year with Simmons. 

I had said Derick Brown if he was there, but thought Simmons was the pick if not. Was that not the case? Genuinely curious. 

1 minute ago, Verge said:

I had said Derick Brown if he was there, but thought Simmons was the pick if not. Was that not the case? Genuinely curious. 

It was Brown or trade back. Simmons wasn’t a trade back target either. I never heard his name come up once. 

I do wonder if that article about the elevator ride/Simmons being taken off a teams board was actually us

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Verge said:

I know there were some people in the building like Fields, but not the right people. Once Darnold became our QB we became committed to him, clearly. I also thought we would have taken Mac Jones at 8, which obviously was not the case. Fields was not in the conversation at 8, not really anyway. 

I'm not convinced though that we really only liked Trevor as far as the QBs go.  Why would we inquire about moving to 3? 

I think there is a small chance we might have liked Lance, we just hid it very well.  At the very least I think we would have heavily considered Wilson if he was there.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

I'm not convinced though that we really only liked Trevor as far as the QBs go.  Why would we inquire about moving to 3? 

I think there is a small chance we might have liked Lance, we just hid it very well.  At the very least I think we would have heavily considered Wilson if he was there.

Wasn't the moving to 3 inquiry before we got Sam?

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Some people like exercise their brains and analyze what could have happened. Sometimes it helps to build intelligence for use in future scenarios.

Why do you cheer for a team that you do not participate in or have kids playing on? Do you root only for Thor in the Avengers movies? Lots of people like different things, it happens.

I know there's a whole cottage industry around the Draft, but I don't think you can sensibly analyse and predict what 32 Front Offices are going to do - especially when half of them are dysfunctional.