• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Jaycee Horn wear Cam's #1?

GOAT

1 minute ago, jayflip said:

Full stop, in order:

Gross was great but not a game-changer. Retired numbers are for legends. Olsen falls in that same bucket imo. 

Gotta agree. Gross is kinda in that Minter area where he was very good but honestly the main reason that he's so fondly remembered is simply because of how terrible we've been historically at his position.

The same organization that cut Cam with only 1 year and roughly $20 million left on his contract after busting his ass for a year to get healthy, just so they could sign Teddy Bridgewater of all people, suddenly reveres him so much they make his number off limits? 

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, WS Pantherfan said:

If he wants #1 he should get it. Why are we still talking about Cam Newton when he hasn't been on the team for over a season?

I also don't believe Cam did enough to earn his jersey number being retired. He was very good for us and had some amazing seasons especially in 2015 but to act like its unbelievable for somebody else to wear #1 is ridiculous.  

He doesn't.  He's said as much. He was a 1st rounder hence the number 1 on the jersey, just like they did with Cam and he decided to keep it.

Now, as far as what Cam "earned"?  He's the ONLY Panther to even sniff the MVP award.  He won it.  Made us relevant in a way we never knew possible.  Created a GLOBAL phenomenon with the "Dab". Its not being retired.  We can hold on to the #1 for a season or 2 out of a modicum of respect.  We do have him on the schedule you know? 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, jayflip said:

Full stop, in order:

Gross was great but not a game-changer. Retired numbers are for legends. Olsen falls in that same bucket imo. 

Gross is already in the Hall of Honor. There isn't going to be a more exclusive group than that.

Jaycee made headlines when he began wearing No. 1 at South Carolina in 2019 after wearing No. 7 his first season. He’ll make them again if given the opportunity to wear that number with the Panthers.

The only player to wear the No. 1 in team history is Cam Newton, the first pick of the 2011 draft.

“I’m going to look at some of those single digits, too, see how those work out,’’ Horn said when asked what he thought if No. 24 was available.

image.png.78ed7b2e5a18c677087298e8d439f875.png

Edited by KatsAzz

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

How many of them were league MVPs?

Cam is the most important player in franchise history. That reality chapping your ass doesn't make it any less true.

He certainly defined the inconsistent decade we had...

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Jersey #s that should be off limits (in no particular order):

Debatable:

I don't know that any of those will be retired, or should be.

You can't retire the number of every great player. There needs to be something higher than just that (like there was with Mills).

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, frankw said:

You can tell some folks still harbor negative feelings toward #1 you would hope that would change with time but sadly not. He should charge these people rent.

And likewise you can tell some folks revere a guy that doesn't deserve to be spoken about in such hushed tones.

To me unless you're in the HoF your jersey number is active. Hold that jersey number out of the rotation for 5 years - if they don't get in to the HoF then it's active again.

Mills' jersey is retired for a different reason. A 'Panthers' legend i.e. a Ring of Honour entree doesn't merit their jersey being retired. 

That said, it doesn't matter now with the NFL allowing players to wear any damn number they want. 

• Pie 2

I think they should be allowed to wear fractions, numbers with decimals in them, and square roots.  But that's just me.

Of course, square routes / roots are for WRs only.

Damn--this weekend is going to be full of comedy.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1