• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Tipped Off About Saints Wanting WR Terrance Marshall In The Draft

KatsAzz

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

It wasn't someone from the Saints war room..

Scouts, reporters and insiders extensively discuss with each other what's going on behind the scenes during the draft.

How do you think picks get tipped?

Who would have specific knowledge that the Saints are going to take Marshall with the 60th pick in the draft? The war room. Who else would know outside the war room? Saints scouts? Why would a Saints scout tell a reported who they were planing to take a the 60th pick? Why would this reporter then call the Panthers specifically. Why would the Panthers then believe this reporter enough to alter their plans. The whole thing falls apart under basic logic.

Just now, Aquemini said:

"..Sorry, but if the Panthers are changing their opinions on who they should draft based on who they think we want to draft, 
then Panthers fans should be very concerned about why their team has so little confidence in their own scouting department.."

I tend to agree

It didn't happen.

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Who would have specific knowledge that the Saints are going to take Marshall with the 60th pick in the draft? The war room. Who else would know outside the war room? Saints scouts? Why would a Saints scout tell a reported who they were planing to take a the 60th pick? Why would this reporter then call the Panthers specifically. Why would the Panthers then believe this reporter enough to alter their plans. The whole thing falls apart under basic logic.

Someone told a non-panther front office person- " Mickey and Payton LOVE Marshall and are targeting him with their 2nd round pick". That person believes it and calls a panther personal and tells them the news. Can happened with agents, "Saints guaranteed me Marshall will be the 60th pick ". Ten years of build up trust and relationship can be invaluable. Now it works both ways, that panthers person must give information that their team could value.

Saints person *could be a source, I mean 5k-10k could buy a few rumors with some proof. Tho its faaar more likely the story above with a agent/former employee.    

Edited by Basbear

20 minutes ago, pantherj said:

except leaks like this kind of thing happens a lot. 

i'm not going to say that there were times that some picks in previous years were leaked in certain forums here that not everyone gets access to, but it might have happened.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Someone told a non-panther front office person- " Mickey and Payton LOVE Marshall and are targeting him with their 2nd round pick". That person believes it and calls a panther personal and tells them the news. Can happened with agents, "Saints guaranteed me Marshall will be the 60th pick ". Ten years of build up trust and relationship can go be invaluable. Now it works both ways, that panthers person must give information that that team could value.

Saints person *could be a source, I mean 5k-10k could buy a few rumors with some proof. Tho its faaar more likely the story above with a agent/former employee.    

Teams tell players they'll take a guy in the ____ round often. Sometimes they take him, sometimes they don't. You can't count on that. I'll use a Panthers example. Fan favorite Vernon Butler was told by the Titans that he would be their pick in the 1st. It didn't pan out.

Edited by pantherj
  • Pie 1

20 minutes ago, pantherj said:

That’s assuming the information came from a Saints’ scout. I found this tidbit from Gantt’s piece on Panthers.com interesting:

There's a real division of labor when it comes to trade calls. Stewart has relationships in a number of front offices from his time with the Patriots and Eagles. Suleiman spent long stretches with the Steelers and Rams so he knows lots of guys. Allen's been here long enough to have developed plenty of contacts throughout the league.

Based on their contacts and relationships throughout the League, it’s likely a scout from another team the Saints contacted previously tipped the Panthers off. Remember, these guys had been diligently working the phones and eventually you learn things. I’m just happy to finally see the Panthers playing chess instead of checkers for a change.

• Pie 3

23 minutes ago, Aquemini said:

"..Sorry, but if the Panthers are changing their opinions on who they should draft based on who they think we want to draft, 
then Panthers fans should be very concerned about why their team has so little confidence in their own scouting department.."

I tend to agree

Well yeah. Judging by your rep you are probably the Saints fan that posted it.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

except leaks like this kind of thing happens a lot. 

i'm not going to say that there were times that some picks in previous years were leaked in certain forums here that not everyone gets access to, but it might have happened.

Here is how I live my life. If someone makes an incredible claim, then I want a lot of supporting evidence. If you tell me you bought a CMC Panthers jersey, then I'll take your word for it. If you tell me you know who the Saints are taking at #60 in advance, then you had better have a pile of evidence.

• Pie 1