• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No matter what happens

CPsinceDay1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, Darnold has never been average in his career so....it could also be a lot worse to watch. We have to at least be somewhat prepared for that possibility, as well. 

His playing style should be more fun to watch. That I am expecting.

This. Darnold will have to make a big leap to get to average. I'm just hoping for boom or bust. Be the guy or be the guy who gets us the guy. No half stepping. I don't think Tepper will let them go dumpster diving again next season if Darnold flops.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. Darnold will have to make a big leap to get to average. I'm just hoping for boom or bust. Be the guy or be the guy who gets us the guy. No half stepping. I don't think Tepper will let them go dumpster diving again next season if Darnold flops.

If Darnold flops, I could definitely see Tepper stepping in.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Pup McBarky said:

So, by inference, you believe you know better than they do. Not about a single decision, mind you, but about a basic piece of football knowledge. 

That's what I thought, just wanted confirmation. 

Fox, Rivers, Hurney, Gettleman...all of them knew more about the game or the team. Doesn't mean that they weren't wrong and weren't idiots about what to do with their knowledge. They knew more, but many of us fundamentally knew better what to do with the team.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Fox, Rivers, Hurney, Gettleman...all of them knew more about the game or the team. Doesn't mean that they weren't wrong and weren't idiots about what to do with their knowledge. They knew more, but many of us fundamentally knew better what to do with the team.

Knowledge doesn't always equal competence. 

I have worked for a corporate guy at a Fortune 500 company multiple times when he was a site manager. One of the best people I have worked for but I have also never seen a worse example of being able to make a full time hire. Literally bungled almost every job search and hired nightmare employees(almost all of them terminated by now).

I saw at least a couple of the processes and it was "general knowledge" that he shouldn't hire some of these people. He did anyway, despite what the rest of us thought.

Imagine the draft room when Hurney takes a guy like Gaulden?

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Remember when Gettleman was convinced that Byron Bell could play LT because he was left handed?

We were all like

RelievedConcernedGuanaco-max-1mb.gif

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

You are always going to see people that think they can motivate or get the best out of a person with "potential." I can tell you as someone who has done some career development for people in my field, sometimes all that raw potential just simply remains unrealized. They may fool you for a long time by you just simply being around them. They say all the right things, they do all the right things but once you set them out on their own....all that motivation and potential evaporate.

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

At the very least stepping in and telling them to get it right and get him a damn legit QB.

I don't think he'll need to, though 

I genuinely wish I could see what they see and you see but I don't. Where you all see the college play, the portions of an elite skillset and the promise of potential....I see his NFL career and what he actually DID when it mattered. 

As a buddy of mine once said at an AAU tournament, "Potential just means you haven’t done poo yet."

59 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The good thing is it won't take long to see who this guy is. One way or the other...it won't be boring. Just buckle up.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think we will have our answer before mid-season, whether good or bad.

I think so. If he doesn't start off well, that ain't good. His best chance at success is catching the league off guard due to no film on him in our system with our weapons. What we put on tape last year won't necessarily be all that relevant either with adding CMC back into the mix and having a QB with the ability to go downfield. So, if it's ugly early... UH OH.

Honestly, I think he'll start out looking pretty good. The rubber will meet the road 4-5 games in once opposing teams have a decent amount of relevant film to study up on.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think so. If he doesn't start off well, that ain't good. His best chance at success is catching the league off guard due to no film on him in our system with our weapons. What we put on tape last year won't necessarily be all that relevant either with adding CMC back into the mix and having a QB with the ability to go downfield. So, if it's ugly early... UH OH.

Honestly, I think he'll start out looking pretty good. The rubber will meet the road 4-5 games in once opposing teams have a decent amount of relevant film to study up on.

Plus we have a favorable early schedule, as well. We started strong last year, so I suspect we should start strong this year. But, we also had the element of surprise early last year whereas now there is a full season if tape on our offensive and defensive tendencies. 

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I genuinely wish I could see what they see and you see but I don't. Where you all see the college play, the portions of an elite skillset and the promise of potential....I see his NFL career and what he actually DID when it mattered. 

As a buddy of mine once said at an AAU tournament, "Potential just means you haven’t done poo yet."

It's a lot of faith and hope that is based on 1) Sam's natural talent, demeanor, and drive 2) Joe Brady, especially his effect on Burrow 3) the overall situation.

I really believe he's set up for success. OL could be better, but the weapons at his disposal and that defense which I believe will give him consistently good field position will help him a lot.

It's basically just a lot of things that will give him every opportunity to succeed and I trust Fitt, Rhule, and Brady's vision and determination.

I know that Sammy wasn't their first choice or even their second, but I also believe he wasn't a desperation move because they still had the draft coming up. 

Their confidence in him allowed them to forego other reasonable and legit options.

I also believe that they won't waste time in moving on after being given a season to prove himself.