• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No matter what happens

CPsinceDay1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Plus we have a favorable early schedule, as well. We started strong last year, so I suspect we should start strong this year. But, we also had the element of surprise early last year whereas now there is a full season if tape on our offensive and defensive tendencies. 

I think we'll look quite a bit different on both sides of the ball in terms of play calling even if the overall schemes haven't necessarily changed. Missing CMC last year and having a QB obsessed with throwing three yard checkdowns had to have had a significant impact on Brady's play calling. Same with Snow on D. Reading up on him, what we saw from him last year as a play caller wasn't his preferred style of playing. We just didn't have the talent at DB for him to attack in the way he prefers.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

It's a lot of faith and hope that is based on 1) Sam's natural talent, demeanor, and drive 2) Joe Brady, especially his effect on Burrow 3) the overall situation.

I really believe he's set up for success. OL could be better, but the weapons at his disposal and that defense which I believe will give him consistently good field position will help him a lot.

It's basically just a lot of things that will give him every opportunity to succeed and I trust Fitt, Rhule, and Brady's vision and determination.

I know that Sammy wasn't their first choice or even their second, but I also believe he wasn't a desperation move because they still had the draft coming up. 

Their confidence in him allowed them to forego other reasonable and legit options.

I also believe that they won't waste time in moving on after being given a season to prove himself.

Burrow appears to be a relentless competitor and had a reputation for having high intangibles. I haven't heard that kind of talk about Darnold. Definitely not saying he doesn't work hard, but there are just some guys that are at another level. Not sure he is.

I don't think Sam was a desperation move, I think they considered him the best of a bunch of gamble options. 

We'll see. I'd much rather you be correct than me.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think Sam was a desperation move, I think they considered him the best of a bunch of gamble options. 

This. I think he was basically the best bad option available and the move was made to prevent the necessity of possibly having to make a desperation move. We'll never get a real answer on this, but I am curious if the move was made with the assumption that Fields wouldn't be there at #8. I honestly hope we simply preferred Darnold, right or wrong. I wouldn't want that level of trade at the QB position to impact our draft board.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We'll see. I'd much rather you be correct than me.

Not a pride thing, but I feel the same thing. I can understand the lack of faith. I think it's reasonable and even warranted. I mean we're panthers fans, we're used to being disappointed by the team. Very little reason to believe on such little evidence.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. I think he was basically the best bad option available and the move was made to prevent the necessity of possibly having to make a desperation move. We'll never get a real answer on this, but I am curious if the move was made with the assumption that Fields wouldn't be there at #8. I honestly hope we simply preferred Darnold, right or wrong. I wouldn't want that level of trade at the QB position to impact our draft board.

I think they just liked Horn better. It pissed me off at the time but in reality he probably does have a higher theoretical ceiling than Slater or Fields. Also, most of what we did was straight out of the Seattle playbook, so I think we are basically trying to re-create that in Carolina.

I definitely don't hate that, as they have been a very successful franchise. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Remember when Gettleman was convinced that Byron Bell could play LT because he was left handed?

We were all like

Gettleman didn't say that. Rivera did.

55 minutes ago, rayzor said:

At the very least stepping in and telling them to get it right and get him a damn legit QB.

I don't think he'll need to, though 

If he steps in to say "get it right", fine.

If he steps in to say "I think we should get this guy", not so much.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Signing Darnold did not prevent them from taking Fields at 8.  They knew who was going to be there at 8.   

From what I can glean from the little info out there that they already had the picks before ours laid out almost exactly how it fell. So knowing that prior to the draft and from all their evaluation of QB possibilities they decided Sam was the best choice of who would be available in the draft.  They already knew that Fields would be there at 8 and they passed.  That's all you need to know.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Rhule's pre-draft mock shown on Panthers Confidential makes it pretty clear that at that time, they were sure he'd be available.

More than one source said before the draft that they didn't like anybody outside of Lawrence and Wilson.

Looks to have been true, especially coupled with Rhule's comments about the low hit rate on first round quarterbacks.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

More than one source said before the draft that they didn't like anybody outside of Lawrence and Wilson.

Looks to have been true, especially coupled with Rhule's comments about the low hit rate on first round quarterbacks.

1st round bust reclamation projects have a much lower hit rate.

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Not a pride thing, but I feel the same thing. I can understand the lack of faith. I think it's reasonable and even warranted. I mean we're panthers fans, we're used to being disappointed by the team. Very little reason to believe on such little evidence.

Yep. I HOPE Darnold is the answer, but I THINK it's highly doubtful that he will be.

• Beer 2

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Gettleman didn't say that. Rivera did.

If he steps in to say "get it right", fine.

If he steps in to say "I think we should get this guy", not so much.

I think it will be a more of a let’s get together and pick the guy we want first option. Then make the trade happen not unlike the Niners did this year. For example trading multiple first round picks to get a guy like Howell or Rattler. A guy that checks most/all boxes in which we will give up a large amount of assets to get even if Fitts thinks the price is too high.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

I think it will be a more of a let’s get together and pick the guy we want first option. Then make the trade happen not unlike the Niners did this year. For example trading multiple first round picks to get a guy like Howell or Rattler. A guy that checks most/all boxes in which we will give up a large amount of assets to get even if Fitts thinks the price is too high.

I'd agree that if Darnold doesn't work out, the next guy is probably a draft pick.

And yeah, we should be in a way better position to spend the kind of resources it'd take to get someone like that next year.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd agree that if Darnold doesn't work out, the next guy is probably a draft pick.

And yeah, we should be in a way better position to spend the kind of resources it'd take to get someone like that next year.

Hopefully we won’t have to worry about it!