• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top 10 Instant Impact Rookies

NAS

I highly doubt Christensen is expected to be the starting LT. If the front office had that expectation that he was that good to plug and play there now they wouldn’t have passed on him at 39, and again at 59. As a matter of a fact if they thought any tackle drafted past 38 could be a  quality starter at LT this they would have drafted them instead of trading down. 

Maybe he can potentially grow into that role but seems highly unlikely any team would want the 70th pick in the draft to be their starting left tackle their rookie year. 

• Pie 3

8 hours ago, NAS said:

I still think Horn makes more immediate impact but this was great to see

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-the-top-10-instant-impact-rookies-for-the-2021-nfl-season-kyle-pitts-jamarr-chase-head-of-the-class/

6. Brady Christensen, OT, Panthers

Have to get one offensive linemen in here, and I didn't want it to be a first-round pick. Too obvious. Quietly, Christensen is the likely Week 1 starter for the Panthers at left tackle, protecting Sam Darnold. Sure, he'll battle it out with 2019 second-round pick Greg Little, but the former Ole Miss star hasn't come close to meeting expectations early in his NFL career and has no connections to the current Carolina staff. 

Christensen's BYU film was pretty darn clean. And it should have been for a 24-year-old blocker with 38 games on his college resume. He moves well for his size and was a quality battler in pass protection with high-end balance. 
image.thumb.png.d26eb1897140320ede1ce8bea0204030.png

1. Probably gonna be battling Erving.

2. It’s probably in the Panthers and Christensen’s best interest to let him sit a while like we did with Taylor Moton.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I think Little is more likely to be battling for a roster spot than he is to be battling to start at LT. LT probably comes down to Christensen vs. Erving.

Don't forget about Scott. I am not sure he doesn't ultimately beat out our new free agents. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

48 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Don't forget about Scott. I am not sure he doesn't ultimately beat out our new free agents. 

Depending on how league injuries go might as well hold on til final cuts to see if we can get a 5th or something for Little

44 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Cameron Erving is the one free agent that I'm not all that excited about.  After his performance (or lack thereof) in KC I really don't think he's starter-material.  See link for more info:

Kansas City Chiefs making right decision moving on from Cam Erving

So ultimately I think Erving is going to end up as an overpaid utility OL for the Panthers.  

I don'k know if Brady Christensen can make it at LT but I have the idea that he could be an above-average LG if given the chance.  There his short arms wouldn't be a liability.    

So unless Trent Scott steps up and takes over at LT (which might happen) the Panthers could be still looking for a LT in the 2022 draft.  But hopefully by then every other OL position would be solid.  

On 5/9/2021 at 8:32 AM, bythenbrs said:

So, how much of Wilson’s success was Wilson and how much was Christensen protecting his blind side and giving him a clean pocket to operate from?  Is he better than consensus and his draft position would suggest?  Can’t recall many third round rookie LT starting week 1.

A QB having a Solid oline allows them to shine.  Look at top Qb's and the tackle they had. 

Wilson - Brady

Mac - Leatherwood

Herbert - Sewell

Lawrence - Carman

Lance - Radnunz

Without steady play from the oline, many qb's will not progress.   Biggest impact rookie will be Harris.  The Steelers are gonna feed him.  

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, mickeye76 said:

Biggest impact rookie will be Harris.  The Steelers are gonna feed him.  

True, the Steelers are trying to establish a running game to support Big Ben.  But Harris is built more like a FB than a RB.  I think he will get a lot of carries but not be that explosive.

Uber athletes like Kyle Pitts (6-6, 4.4 speed) with Matt Ryan throwing to him are going to lead the class.   I'd guess Travis Etienne will put up big number in Jacksonville as well.   JaMarr Chase too with his college QB throwing to him.   

All of those guys should put up better numbers than Najee Harris.  

• Pie 1