• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Aaron Rodgers to Panthers?

Zod

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You told me he was in the room next to you!

I'm starting to think you might not have been telling the truth 🤔

you don't have a picture of David Tepper hanging on your wall?  I'll just call you are semi-fan from now on.    

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nope. Don't even have his image as the wallpaper on my phone.

Am I not allowed in the meetings anymore?

you know what? Tepper isn't actually in the Panther memorabilia I got up.  My bad.   But I got Steve Smith looking over my shoulder if you got any questions. 

Just now, CRA said:

you know what? Tepper isn't actually in the Panther memorabilia I got up.  My bad.   But I got Steve Smith looking over my shoulder if you got any questions. 

Panther memorabilia with Tepper on it would actually be kind of cringeworthy.

Pretty sure nobody owns any Raven stuff with pictures of Steve Bisciotti on it.

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You might have to since apparently Matt Rhule's word isn't enough.

You really believe anything these people say publicly? Have you not learned anything over the many years you’ve been a Panthers/NFL fan?

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, joemac said:

You really believe anything these people say publicly? Have you not learned anything over the many years you’ve been a Panthers/NFL fan?

Depends on whether they have a reason to lie.

Talking about what might happen with a player or draft pick? Grain of salt.

Something like this? What's the point?

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:
5 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

You pluck quotes from these guys doing their media appearances and pass them off as facts. 

You should probably quit doing that.

You think Matt Rhule saying "Dave leaves the football stuff to me and Scott" is taken out of context?

Darin Gantt/Brandon Todd/Carolina Panthers

CHARLOTTE – Panthers owner David Tepper described the process that led to the hiring of general manager Scott Fitterer as "exhaustive."

It was also exhausting, as Tepper, head coach Matt Rhule, and chief communications officer Steven Drummond interviewed 15 candidates for the job (four of them twice) over an 11-day span before Fitterer agreed to a deal last Thursday.

"There was a lot of stuff learned in those one and half weeks," Tepper said. "In every interview you do, you get a little bit smarter, if you will."

Tepper also made it clear that those lessons learned will apply to every major decision moving forward.

He admitted in his early days of owning the team (after a stint as a minority partner in Pittsburgh), it was easy to get caught up in the emotions of the sport. There's a lot to take in at a ball game.

"There's a little bit of walking in the door and going, 'Wow, football, the NFL,'" Tepper said. "De-mystifying it, a little bit, for myself. I was in Pittsburgh, but I wasn't making those decisions.

"But making good decisions is making good decisions. I put it on myself. And sometimes in the past, I didn't put it through the same rigorous decision-making process that I would have done in other things I do in my life."

Tepper has freely admitted over the years that he's learning the football industry on the fly. When he bought the team, he started with the business side of the operation because the business world was one he moved comfortably in. So that's the first thing he turned upside down and gave a good shake to.

As a result, the coach and GM he inherited were left on their own for a bit, while Tepper decided what he wanted his football operation to look like. Head coach Ron Rivera was gone before the end of Tepper's second season, and after letting Marty Hurney go late in his third, Tepper admitted he was ready to make more informed decisions on his own.  [TRANSLATION: Time to install The Appaloosa Model.]

"Sometimes students have to graduate," he said in December.

"If I've had a successful career away from this sport, well why the heck was I not making the same rigorous decision-making process before," Tepper said Thursday. "I can't say every decision that we made in the past, I probably didn't insist on that. Well, that's not happening anymore." [TRANSLATION: The Appaloosa Model is being fully overlaid on the entire organization, including Football Ops.]

Knowing what you want, then gathering all available information before making decisions is obviously a wise way to proceed. [The Appaloosa Way.]  And before he hired Fitterer away from the Seahawks (where he effectively functioned as an assistant GM), Tepper made sure to cast a wide net. And he's far from the first NFL owner to use job searches as intelligence-gathering missions.  [Smartest man in the room gathering intelligence...straight out of the Appaloosa Playbook.]

The late Al Davis would routinely use coaching vacancies as chances to poke around in the closets of his division rivals. And it's no accident the early stages of the Panthers' recent search included a number of personnel men with Patriots ties, among other top organizations such as the Seahawks and Chiefs. But Tepper also met with candidates from a variety of backgrounds and demographics, from 30-something caps-and-contracts guys to veteran evaluators in their 50s, with Super Bowl rings.  [Tepper evaluating and choosing "football men"...can't pick good ones if you don't know football yourself, which Tepper clearly does.]

Tepper said there were another 10 to 15 candidates he did voluminous research on, who ultimately did not interview for the job.  [Appaloosa Way, leave no stone unturned.]

He also pointed out that interviewing for a GM vacancy was more complicated than hiring a coach. Coaches have records, and results of individual games on the backs of their football cards. With personnel men, it's hard to know how much authority they had in their team's construction, so it's harder to figure out who gets credit for what.

"This was weeks of my life. This wasn't like 15 hours of talking to people (on a videoconference)," he said. "When I say it was exhaustive, I'm not just saying it; it was a fact. And I wasn't the only one talking to people. Drummond was talking to people. Matt talked to people.  [Perfect illustration of collaborative nature of Appaloosa Model.]

"This was not getting five names from some headhunter and talking to them. We did the research ourselves, . . . the work was put in."  [Remember how worked up the "traditionalists" (that's you scottie boy) got when Texans ownership cast aside the advice of the "consultants" and decided to make their own decisions??  LOL...some folks don't recognize archaic even when it slaps them straight across the face.]

Tepper hopes that going through that kind of process yields a positive result, as he's firm in the belief that Fitterer will provide the perfect counterpoint to Rhule [TRANSLATION: They are equals, as is required within The Appaloosa Model]. But as important is the fact that he was the main decision-maker [That's Tepper, not some "football man"]. Owning the building conveys a certain authority, but now he absolutely has ownership of the football product on the field. [REPEAT:  Tepper "absolutely has ownership of the football product ON THE FIELD."

"Everything's my fault at the end of the day because my name's on the door," Tepper said. "But now it's truly my names and my guys in the building. So now it's on me. And now if I messed up, then I messed up, it's on me.

"For me, I had to get a certain amount of knowledge, so that in my own mind, I was making the right decisions. Hopefully I made the right decisions." [Tepper is now fully up to speed and fully engaged in all Football Ops, this is undeniable.]

https://www.panthers.com/news/david-tepper-reflects-on-long-term-lessons-of-exhaustive-gm-search

NOTE:  None of this portends for Tepper "dictating" anything as it goes to individual decisions --- period. 

Anyone who says otherwise clearly does not understand the Appaloosa Model.

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Poo 1

8 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

CHARLOTTE – Panthers owner David Tepper described the process that led to the hiring of general manager Scott Fitterer as "exhaustive."

It was also exhausting, as Tepper, head coach Matt Rhule, and chief communications officer Steven Drummond interviewed 15 candidates for the job (four of them twice) over an 11-day span before Fitterer agreed to a deal last Thursday.

"There was a lot of stuff learned in those one and half weeks," Tepper said. "In every interview you do, you get a little bit smarter, if you will."

Tepper also made it clear that those lessons learned will apply to every major decision moving forward.

He admitted in his early days of owning the team (after a stint as a minority partner in Pittsburgh), it was easy to get caught up in the emotions of the sport. There's a lot to take in at a ball game.

"There's a little bit of walking in the door and going, 'Wow, football, the NFL,'" Tepper said. "De-mystifying it, a little bit, for myself. I was in Pittsburgh, but I wasn't making those decisions.

"But making good decisions is making good decisions. I put it on myself. And sometimes in the past, I didn't put it through the same rigorous decision-making process that I would have done in other things I do in my life."

Tepper has freely admitted over the years that he's learning the football industry on the fly. When he bought the team, he started with the business side of the operation because the business world was one he moved comfortably in. So that's the first thing he turned upside down and gave a good shake to.

As a result, the coach and GM he inherited were left on their own for a bit, while Tepper decided what he wanted his football operation to look like. Head coach Ron Rivera was gone before the end of Tepper's second season, and after letting Marty Hurney go late in his third, Tepper admitted he was ready to make more informed decisions on his own.  [TRANSLATION: Time to install The Appaloosa Model.]

"If I've had a successful career away from this sport, well why the heck was I not making the same rigorous decision-making process before," Tepper said Thursday. "I can't say every decision that we made in the past, I probably didn't insist on that. Well, that's not happening anymore." [TRANSLATION: The Appaloosa Model is being fully overlaid on the entire organization, including Football Ops.]

Knowing what you want, then gathering all available information before making decisions is obviously a wise way to proceed. [The Appaloosa Way.]  And before he hired Fitterer away from the Seahawks (where he effectively functioned as an assistant GM), Tepper made sure to cast a wide net. And he's far from the first NFL owner to use job searches as intelligence-gathering missions.  [Smartest man in the room gathering intelligence...straight out of the Appaloosa Playbook.]

The late Al Davis would routinely use coaching vacancies as chances to poke around in the closets of his division rivals. And it's no accident the early stages of the Panthers' recent search included a number of personnel men with Patriots ties, among other top organizations such as the Seahawks and Chiefs. But Tepper also met with candidates from a variety of backgrounds and demographics, from 30-something caps-and-contracts guys to veteran evaluators in their 50s, with Super Bowl rings.  [Tepper evaluating and choosing "football men"...can't pick good ones if you don't know football yourself, which Tepper clearly does.]

Tepper said there were another 10 to 15 candidates he did voluminous research on, who ultimately did not interview for the job.  [Appaloosa Way, leave no stone unturned.]

He also pointed out that interviewing for a GM vacancy was more complicated than hiring a coach. Coaches have records, and results of individual games on the backs of their football cards. With personnel men, it's hard to know how much authority they had in their team's construction, so it's harder to figure out who gets credit for what.

"This was weeks of my life. This wasn't like 15 hours of talking to people (on a videoconference)," he said. "When I say it was exhaustive, I'm not just saying it; it was a fact. And I wasn't the only one talking to people. Drummond was talking to people. Matt talked to people.  [Perfect illustration of collaborative nature of Appaloosa Model.]

"This was not getting five names from some headhunter and talking to them. We did the research ourselves, . . . the work was put in."  [Remember how worked up the "traditionalists" (that's you scottie boy) got when Texans ownership cast aside the advice of the "consultants" and decided to make their own decisions??  LOL...some folks don't recognize archaic even when it slaps them straight across the face.]

Tepper hopes that going through that kind of process yields a positive result, as he's firm in the belief that Fitterer will provide the perfect counterpoint to Rhule [TRANSLATION: They are equals, as is required within The Appaloosa Model]. But as important is the fact that he was the main decision-maker [That's Tepper, not some "football man"]. Owning the building conveys a certain authority, but now he absolutely has ownership of the football product on the field. [REPEAT:  Tepper "has ownership of the football product ON THE FIELD."

"Everything's my fault at the end of the day because my name's on the door," Tepper said. "But now it's truly my names and my guys in the building. So now it's on me. And now if I messed up, then I messed up, it's on me.

"For me, I had to get a certain amount of knowledge, so that in my own mind, I was making the right decisions. Hopefully I made the right decisions." [Tepper is now fully up to speed and fully engaged in all Football Ops, this is undeniable.]

https://www.panthers.com/news/david-tepper-reflects-on-long-term-lessons-of-exhaustive-gm-search

NOTE:  None of this portends for Tepper "dictating" anything as it goes to individual decisions --- period. 

Anyone who says otherwise clearly does not understand the Appaloosa Model.

I don’t understand the Appaloosa Model. Can you explain it again?

1 minute ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Tepper hopes that going through that kind of process yields a positive result, as he's firm in the belief that Fitterer will provide the perfect counterpoint to Rhule [TRANSLATION: They are equals, as is required within The Appaloosa Model]. But as important is the fact that he was the main decision-maker [That's Tepper, not some "football man"]. Owning the building conveys a certain authority, but now he absolutely has ownership of the football product on the field. [REPEAT:  Tepper "has ownership of the football product ON THE FIELD."

Yeah, none of that stuff refers to roster decisions, just staffing decisions.

Dude, I get that you hero worship Tepper, but you're reading your own narrative into pretty much everything here. And as such, getting it completely wrong.

The most important things you need to know are that, when Fitterer was hired, Tepper specifically stated that he was not an evaluator and wasn't going to try to be.

Likewise, Matt Rhule said in his recent interview with Rich Eisen, "Dave leaves the football stuff to me and Scott" (exact quote, not paraphrased).

And to top it all off, if you read Gantt's war room article, it clearly describes Tepper not being part of player choices.

You can continue to believe whatever you want, but the reality has already been spoken by the people who are there. You can put as much work as you want to into  spinning it, but it doesn't change reality.

• Pie 1