• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

seems like there's a lot of optimism.....

are you generally optimistic about this season? the way the team is trending? How the leadership seems to be shaping up? 

place seems pretty hopeful. 

I'm not here to poo on things, I'm genuinely curious. 

I'm pretty confident with the direction of the team in general, and the defense in particular, but I think our offense is gonna kinda suck again. 

I don't think it's like 2016, where we all just assumed we'd compete for a super bowl again. But this feels like....pre 2013 ish. Lots of good young players, lots of reasons to be excited, stars on both sides of the ball etc. Obviously no Cam, that's a big one, but lots of reasons to be excited. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 2

I for one am excited. We all know it starts in the front office and while no one can be sure, the indications are that Fitterer is competent at worst. 

If you have a GM that is a known weakness and a QB that was an evident weakness quickly, there is no hope. I'm in the camp that Darnold can play with coaching. we'll see on that one. 

Personally,  I think 10 or 11 wins is on the table. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm optimistic about the team as a whole. I'm pessimistic that the answer is on the roster at QB.

Yep, I agree.  I'm just hoping that Sam doesn't fall in some sort of middle ground.  Be great or be Pickles.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm optimistic about the team as a whole. I'm pessimistic that the answer is on the roster at QB.

You are right to be pessimistic.  I'm doubtful as well but he's our QB so I'm pulling for him.  He's probably more like the bridge QB we should have had last year.

• Pie 1

I'm always optimistic. I don't see any reason not to be for sports. I wouldn't waste a second being a pessimist about as neither affects the outcome but one is a more interesting approach for me.

It doesn't mean I think we will be great but I certainly think they should be better. I certainly see a progress on the roster. 

I'm more optimistic than last year as we have a more complete roster and we have direction from more focused and analytical coaches and front office.

Edited by Moo Daeng
  • Pie 6

I'm optimistic about the team direction in general. I'm noncommittal on the QB situation; Sam seems like a good kid but I have no idea if he's actually going to turn his career around here. I want to say that I have faith in our coaches to help Sam do so, but they haven't been here long enough or had enough success at this level for me to bet in one way or the other with any level of certainty.

I think our season lies in the improvement of four areas: QB, O-line, Linebackers and Defensive backs. If we even slightly improve in any one of them we should be better than last year so long as we don't regress anywhere else. If we greatly improve in these areas I think we can compete with anyone. 

So, like I said, I'm optimistic but I always try to be in the offseason even when I know we're going to suck deep down (which I don't believe to be the case this year).

Edited by Floppin
  • Pie 3

Like most, I’m optimistic about the team as a whole and the amount of young talent we have.  Not too long ago we were one of the oldest teams in the league, and now we’re the youngest I believe.  That in itself is a huge step in the right direction.  

The defense was making some great strides towards the end of the year, but our third down defense was pure ass cheeks.  If that doesn’t get under control we’ll see more of the same.  I expect our DL to be getting solid pressure with a hopefully improved Brown.  He did a lot more in the pressure aspect last year than I expected, and if he can build on that then we have something special.  Add Horn into the mix and I think this D has potential to be good, not to mention Chinn’s growth and no more Whitehead.  

We have some great weapons on offense that simply need to be utilized.  Like others said, it really comes down to Darnold on how we do next year.  I think at worst he’ll be “okay.”  Hoping he can step up and be the guy.  CMC had like 6 touchdowns in 3 games last season, so if he’s healthy all season I feel a lot better about our chances.

All in all, we’re moving in the right direction.  The team we’re building is solid and has plenty of great, young players.  

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1