• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Schedule release and teams' social media

ladypanther

https://theathletic.com/2579047/2021/05/11/nfl-social-media-teams-go-crazy-for-schedule-release-day-and-those-viral-videos-have-a-purpose/?source=dailyemail

Welcome to the Super Bowl of NFL social media.

On Wednesday, around 8 p.m. ET, the league will release its 2021 season schedule. Simultaneously, team social media directors will publish content promoting those schedules, a process that in recent years has become ultra-competitive and, for some teams, ultra-expensive.

What reaches fans’ feeds is the culmination of months of planning and dozens of brainstorm meetings, all in hopes of producing the most creative, unique and viral content. Some teams will dive deep into memes. Some might create music videos or spoof a television show. Many will utilize their famous players. A few will spend tens of thousands of dollars, or even six figures, for a video they hope will go viral. It needs to be of the highest production value, as well as funny and unique, creative and catchy.

Now the Panthers will again turn to pop culture for their 2021 schedule release video. They settled on a concept about a month ago, and have spent the weeks since working on individual elements for each of the 17 games. Teams have known their opponents since January; they’ll only get the order of the schedule a few hours before it goes public Wednesday. Editors will frantically work to stitch the video together, while social media directors craft the perfect tweets, Instagram posts and stories they hope will make their content trend.

.....the Panthers are the fun kids. Carolina’s recent viral moments included new quarterback Sam Darnold reacting to the many memes made of him during his three years with the Jets, and Darnold drawing — poorly — the Panthers’ logo from memory. Carolina changed its Twitter avatar to Darnold’s version last week, perhaps just a preview of something ridiculous to come in its schedule release video.

The Panthers are closely guarding their 2021 concept, and that’s not uncommon. Social media managers might have shared ideas with each other a few years ago when schedule-release videos were a new thing, but now it has become a competition to see who can be the most creative and whose video will take off on Twitter, Instagram or TikTok

• Pie 7

16 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Honest question? Is the schedule release really interesting to most? I can't say I look more than a few games in advance during the season. 

I usually don't get too excited about it- I pay attention because its football and by the time the schedule comes out all the Draft stuff is dying down. I think some fans are really just happy to get something football related to chew on.

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

If you're looking to get tickets to a game. Or see if we get any night games.

That make sense. I suppose that doesn't apply to me as I decide a week to two out and get tickets when I know I can go or want to go.

Would you watch a video about that or just look at the printed schedule.

Edited by Moo Daeng

16 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Honest question? Is the schedule release really interesting to most? I can't say I look more than a few games in advance during the season. 

The storylines are about all I care about. I want to see if they put Panthers vs. Patriots in Prime Time for Cams return.