• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Want a pro baseball team?

Mr. Scot

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I actually 100% agree with this take.

If I'm not mistaken, DBAP was built specifically with expansion in mind, unlike the Knights stadium in CLT.

I actually know one of the guys who helped develop the Knights stadium. He/they pushed to design it where the stands could easily be expanded to accommodate MLB attendance. The banks who were financing it, wanted more corporate boxes and didn't want to pollute the views from their executive towers uptown. 

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, MikeD83 said:

The Charlotte metro area still has nearly 500,000 more people in it than the Raleigh metro. Raleigh area is growing faster though and will likely catch up in another decade or so. 

Yeah would be a better fit in Raleigh.  Quite honestly they'd get a better crowd and the team would have more enthusiasm there.

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

If I'm not mistaken, DBAP was built specifically with expansion in mind, unlike the Knights stadium in CLT.

I actually know one of the guys who helped develop the Knights stadium. He/they pushed to design it where the stands could easily be expanded to accommodate MLB attendance. The banks who were financing it, wanted more corporate boxes and didn't want to pollute the views from their executive towers uptown. 

I don't care about baseball but adding the Durham Bulls to the MLB should honestly be a wild success.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Stumpy said:

I'm not a baseball fan. But, if an MLB team moves to the Carolinas, it needs to be in Durham and named the Bulls.

Instantly recognizable with both historical and pop culture reverence. They would instantly be #1 in merch sales.

bull GIF

This has legs.  Explore this further.

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

Love Durham's park.  Was lucky enough to be asked to be announcer for the State AA/AAAA Baseball championships a few years ago and man what an experience. Hearing my voice echo across the park.  Gotta say I got the "big pp" energy from it.  Beautiful park.

• Beer 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Charlotte area has pro football, pro basketball and soon to be pro soccer.

How do you feel about pro baseball?

(and the Oakland A's in particular)

Yes to fuging both. A’s have been my favorite team since I was a kid. It would be nice to see what they could do with an actual major league payroll. 

Has anyone found any quotes from Don Beaver or Jerry Reese about this?

Always felt Charlotte was short sighted in building an uptown stadium that isn't suitable for pro expansion.

https://businessnc.com/don-beaver/ 

Charlotte metro area is almost twice that of Raleigh

https://www.statista.com/statistics/183600/population-of-metropolitan-areas-in-the-us/

9 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Has anyone found any quotes from Don Beaver or Jerry Reese about this?

Always felt Charlotte was short sighted in building an uptown stadium that isn't suitable for pro expansion.

https://businessnc.com/don-beaver/ 

Charlotte metro area is almost twice that of Raleigh

https://www.statista.com/statistics/183600/population-of-metropolitan-areas-in-the-us/

That is older census data. The Triangle area is bigger now. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

That is older census data. The Triangle area is bigger now. 

I don't doubt it, however the the metro area of Raleigh would've had to have grown by over a million people during the last 18 months to even approach the metro area of Charlotte.

I know Raleigh metro is growing somewhat faster than Charlotte metro, but even gaining 100,000 more people a year than Charlotte, it would take more than a decade for Raleigh to catch up. 

Just now, NanuqoftheNorth said:

This seems like a good bet.

Yep I’m on the West Coast now and all the talk is about the As probably following the Raiders to Vegas 

living in Raleigh, I’d love to have them augment the Canes 

Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill is exploding and a great place to live but it’s not going to compete with Vegas 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1