• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Want a pro baseball team?

Mr. Scot

On 5/11/2021 at 5:33 PM, Mr. Scot said:

When I was about 9 or 10, my best friend's family took a trip to watch a Cincinnati Reds series and took me along.

Amazing lineup that year. They had Tony Perez, Joe Morgan, Dave Concepcion and Pete Rose manning the infield, Johnny Bench catching, Cesar Geronimo and Griffey Sr in the outfield. Got to see Tom Seaver pitch too.

Pretty sure they won the series that year. I was too young to truly appreciate just how good a team I was watching.

I grew up not far from Cincy when the Big Red Machine was in full swing. Our school system would take regular field trips to attend games there. It was a huge deal. I have a set of four baseballs signed by Morgan, Rose, Perez and Bench.

Having said that, my flavor for baseball has waned considerably over the years as the Reds have had some crappy ass ownership. My days of taking days off to watch opening day ended many years ago.

Living in Raleigh, it would be interesting to have a team here. I didn't follow hockey before the Canes came to town, but have been an avid fan for years now. Maybe having a team nearby would spark that interest again, but there will never be another team for me like the Reds in the 70's. 

20 hours ago, AviationMX said:

I think it came down to a $0.02 increase in sales tax for a stadium in K Vegas, which of course was voted down. Greensboro actually has a history with baseball, the Yankees minor league team was here when Jeter was coming up. And our old stadium was in Bull Durham for the "rain out" scene...so we had that going for us. We also had the Hurricanes here until RAL stole them.

Used to hear this and that Emerald Pointe exists on the planned site now. Still think MLS should have come to Greensboro but Tepper’s obsessed with trying to get money out of SC.

MLB should be in Raleigh but I think the Braves loyalty in Charlotte is overblown. People said the same about the Redskins before the Panthers showed up and they were more popular than the Braves are. Plus, Atlanta being our rivals in football and potentially soccer. NC will dump them once they’re no longer the closest team.

• Pie 1

Charlotte could be a great place for an MLB team potentially I'm guessing. From Oakland to Charlotte would be one huge change for a team that's for sure. What's the overall consensus on baseball in Charlotte? Was the minor league team popular? Weren't they the Charlotte Knights? Are they still around?

On 5/11/2021 at 11:41 PM, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Yeah, Las Vegas metro population is similar to Charlotte's, but can also draw on the tourist crowds to fill the stands.  It really gives Vegas a leg up on the competition. 

MLB would love to be in Vegas 

• Pie 1

I think Montreal and Nashville will be ahead of Charlotte for a new or relocated team.  If the league expands to 32, Charlotte could have a shot. 

North Carolina was in talks to receive the Minnesota Twins back in the day but, the public shot down new tax increases. Team would have been in the Triad. Triad is the meat in the Raleigh Charlotte sandwich and would be an ideal location. Not sure if NC can support an MLB team today. We have too many fans from other areas of the country. The Panthers are probably a very slim leader as the favorite NFL team here.

1 hour ago, YourLastThought said:

Charlotte could be a great place for an MLB team potentially I'm guessing. From Oakland to Charlotte would be one huge change for a team that's for sure. What's the overall consensus on baseball in Charlotte? Was the minor league team popular? Weren't they the Charlotte Knights? Are they still around?

Charlotte Knights are around and actually in Charlotte now and not SC.  They typically are at the top in attendance in AAA ball. They have a fantastic stadium. If the A's moved to Charlotte, MLB would have to rearrange divisions. Vegas would probably be a better fit, and it would be the dagger in Oakland pro sports.

• Pie 1

On 5/11/2021 at 5:12 PM, kungfoodude said:

Not super surprising because quite a bit of Charlotte sprawl is people fleeing across the border to SC. The sprawl in the Triangle is pretty ridiculous. I think the surrounding counties makes it far and away the most populous area of NC, even if you expanded the CLT sprawl to SC and the surrounding counties.

People in South Carolina don’t count as a full person.