• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Comparing Current Roster Against 2003

jfra78

I thought for shits and giggles, why not compare the starters for this roster against arguably the best top to bottom roster the Panthers ever had.  

I will do this by position group and making a lot of assumptions about who is going to start this year.  

Delhomme vs Darnold

2003 wins- Although I think Darnold has the potential to be better, at this point theres no comparison.

Davis vs CMC

2021 wins- I love Davis, but CMC is on another level

Hoover vs Tremble

2003 wins- I placed Tremble in the FB spot because I think we roll without one this year and this will be his primary function in this offense. Hoover wins because he is a known commodity who did his job very well.  Tremble could be better, but its yet TBD.

Smith/Mohammad/Proehl vs Moore/Anderson/Marshall

2003 wins-  Although I do like this group and think they are one of the best trios in the league, it just doesn't compare to 2003.  Smith and Moose are top 10 Panthers of all time and Proehl is probably one of the best slot guys we've ever had.

03 OL vs 21 OL

2003 wins- Gross puts this position group over the top.  I do believe we have a lot of talent with the rookies coming in, but there is still work to be done.

Wiggins/Mangum vs Arnold/Tremble

2021 wins- I Have a lot of faith in Arnold and that Tremble can provide that extra blocking needed.

03 DL vs 21 DL

2003 wins- I think we have a great DL this year with Burns/Matos/Brown/Jones, but it just can't compare to the 2003 squad which included Pep/Jenkins/Buckner/Rucker.

03 LB vs 21 LB

2003 wins-  Not even close, Morgan and Witherspoon are enough to blow this current crop out of the water.  I would place Chinn at FS, but even if he was a LB 2003 would win IMO.

Cousin/Howard/Manning vs Horn/Bouye/Jackson

2021 wins- Love our current CBs and excited to see them play.

Minter/Grant vs Burris/Chinn

2003 wins-  Minter is a top 15 Panther and Grant was really good too.  I like the future with Chinn, but he is not at the same level as Minter at this point.

Kasay/Sauerbrun vs Slye/Charlton

2003 wins- not close Kasay is a legend and Sauerbrun was a pro bowler.

Of course 2003 wins the most categories(8-3), and it shows just how far we are from competing for a Superbowl.  But, I do think we are heading in the right direction and could make a run in the next couple years.

Edited by jfra78
  • Pie 4

1 minute ago, jfra78 said:

Who did I declare him better than?

my bad.. totally misread the Hoover comment.  I stopped at  I placed Tremble in the FB spot because I think we roll without one this year and this will be his primary function in this offense.

I should go drink my coffee and shut up for a bit. haha. My bad brother.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

The 2003 defense was ridiculous. Best D-Line in team history and it's not even close.

Absolutely. I'm honestly excited to see this group in action though. Burns, YGM, Fox, Nixon, Brown, Jones, Reddick; That's a lot of bad-ass coming at a QB!

• Pie 1

I appreciate the sharing of this.  I would say the 2021 WR class could be the best we have ever seen in Charlotte. The secret to that 03 team was indeed the front 7 on D.  Wow.  And the steroid cream for our OL. Underrated.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

The 2003 defense was ridiculous. Best D-Line in team history and it's not even close.

2013 says hi... and they did it with 2 undrafted rookies playing significant time in the secondary.

The 2003 defense was obviously very good, and probably better overall, but IMHO, the 2013 D Line was the best, and that's not a slight to the 2003 team.

Peppers, Rucker, and Wallace vs. Hardy, Johnson, and Addison is close to a draw

And while I might give Jenkins and Buckner a slight edge over Star and Short since they were rookies, that one is pretty close too in terms of how well they played

I still think what the 2013 was more impressive bc of the sheer lack of talent in the secondary. That secondary only worked bc the pass rush was so ferocious 

Edited by Seltzer
  • Pie 2

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I appreciate the sharing of this.  I would say the 2021 WR class could be the best we have ever seen in Charlotte. The secret to that 03 team was indeed the front 7 on D.  Wow.  And the steroid cream for our OL. Underrated.

And even with all that it took like 7 or 8 Jake Delhomme last minute Disney movie drives to get us as far as we got.  I swear it felt like John Fox was trying to put us in that position every game...

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, jfra78 said:

I thought for shits and giggles, why not compare the starters for this roster against arguably the best top to bottom roster the Panthers ever had.  

I will do this by position group and making a lot of assumptions about who is going to start this year.  

Delhomme vs Darnold

2003 wins- Although I think Darnold has the potential to be better, at this point theres no comparison.

Davis vs CMC

2021 wins- I love Davis, but CMC is on another level

Hoover vs Tremble

2003 wins- I placed Tremble in the FB spot because I think we roll without one this year and this will be his primary function in this offense. Hoover wins because he is a known commodity who did his job very well.  Tremble could be better, but its yet TBD.

Smith/Mohammad/Proehl vs Moore/Anderson/Marshall

2003 wins-  Although I do like this group and think they are one of the best trios in the league, it just doesn't compare to 2003.  Smith and Moose are top 10 Panthers of all time and Proehl is probably one of the best slot guys we've ever had.

03 OL vs 21 OL

2003 wins- Gross puts this position group over the top.  I do believe we have a lot of talent with the rookies coming in, but there is still work to be done.

Wiggins/Mangum vs Arnold/Tremble

2021 wins- I Have a lot of faith in Arnold and that Tremble can provide that extra blocking needed.

03 DL vs 21 DL

2003 wins- I think we have a great DL this year with Burns/Matos/Brown/Jones, but it just can't compare to the 2003 squad which included Pep/Jenkins/Buckner/Rucker.

03 LB vs 21 LB

2003 wins-  Not even close, Morgan and Witherspoon are enough to blow this current crop out of the water.  I would place Chinn at FS, but even if he was a LB 2003 would win IMO.

Cousin/Howard/Manning vs Horn/Bouye/Jackson

2021 wins- Love our current CBs and excited to see them play.

Minter/Grant vs Burris/Chinn

2003 wins-  Minter is a top 15 Panther and Grant was really good too.  I like the future with Chinn, but he is not at the same level as Minter at this point.

Kasay/Sauerbrun vs Slye/Charlton

2003 wins- not close Kasay is a legend and Sauerbrun was a pro bowler.

Of course 2003 wins the most categories(8-3), and it shows just how far we are from competing for a Superbowl.  But, I do think we are heading in the right direction and could make a run in the next couple years.

2003 would beat the 2015 (17-1) squad in a head to head like that too.   But the 2015 team had the higher ceiling. 

• Pie 2