• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sooo what's the plan for LT?

Verge

Let me just say this--the better the OL in the middle and the right side, the better your LT will be. It limits the options.  Let's say Erving is the LT just because he is.  Scott is behind him.  Elflein and Christensen become the LGs.  Paradis and Moore are centers (Elflein, Irving depth too), Miller and Brown are at RG, and Moton with Scott and Daley behind him at RT. 

On paper, we are better at EVERY OL position.  With CMC and Chuba running the ball, with much better TEs, and with the best WR corps the team has ever had, I think we can cover LT for a year.

• Pie 4

Plan A: Christensen works out; we're groovy at LT

Plan B: We look at the better of Scott+Erving

*If plan B happens, we monitor Scott's growth, potentially go LT in 2021 high if he doesn't seem like a multi-year starter.

--

I can see Christensen-Elflein-Paradis-Miller-Moton starting off the season

could end up in a lot of ways...

Scott-Christensen-Paradis-Miller-Moton

Erving-Christensen-Paradis-Miller-Moton

Christensen-Elflein-Paradis-Erving-Moton

And then do not discount Brown or Moore giving LG, C, or RG a run for their money.

• Pie 6

52 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am starting to agree.  Maybe Moton is slated for LT, but there are no signs that point that way.  AND if you know Moton is solid at RT and you are strong up the middle, you can chip and use a FB/HBack to help a LT with a speed rusher.  For example, Tremble lines up on the wing--the LT knows that he blocks head up to inside gap.  If there is nobody there, he could get a call to help the G.  If there is help inside, he only takes outside and simply pushes the rush out.  Taking on a speed edge rusher who can bull rush or go rip under or go around is a lot to ask the best LT.  So we could be looking at support personnel and scheme as much as the player.

Just based on scheme (a lot of quick passes) we might feel less inclined to spend considerable resources on the O-line. 

I'm not saying it is the correct call, but fact is both last year with our first pick, and several times in this years draft there have been OTs availed that probably were rated fairly high at given draft spots.

Fans have this idea that LTs help your team exponentially more that any other non-QB position, I just don't think a lot of teams think the same way.  

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, saX man said:

Plan A: Christensen works out; we're groovy at LT

Plan B: We look at the better of Scott+Erving

*If plan B happens, we monitor Scott's growth, potentially go LT in 2021 high if he doesn't seem like a multi-year starter.

--

I can see Christensen-Elflein-Paradis-Miller-Moton starting off the season

could end up in a lot of ways...

Scott-Christensen-Paradis-Miller-Moton

Erving-Christensen-Paradis-Miller-Moton

Christensen-Elflein-Paradis-Erving-Moton

And then do not discount Brown or Moore giving LG, C, or RG a run for their money.

Gonna be the best story of camp/preseason.

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, stbugs said:

There was a streak where we went 22-2 with Remmers at RT and Oher/Bell/Chandler at LT.

Great point, and that lineup cost us a Super Bowl, fwiw, but still, we did it with a huge, athletic QB who could take a pounding and he did. With a running QB, you are less aggressive in pass rush, so we could maybe get away with it.  And Byron Bell is left handed--there is that.

Erving and Scott were slightly below average LTs in 2020, but Erving was a bit injured in 2020.  Scott played beside a bad LG and only played a third of the snaps.   Both in new systems, both performed fairly well, considering.  In the list you provided, I would say that Erving and Scott were on the Oher level, better than the others. 

This from a Dallas website:
Erving is a versatile offensive lineman that can compete at guard and play both tackle spots. Though he struggled with injuries of his own, he was solid in his one season with Dallas. In five games played, Erving allowed just one sack and eight total pressures.... To put that into perspective, he allowed a pressure on just 5% of his pass-blocking snaps. Brandon Knight allowed a pressure on 7.1% of his snaps. All-Pro Guard Zack Martin allowed a pressure on 7.7% of his snaps.

• Pie 1

In my opinion Brady Christensen is the future Panthers left tackle

Entered league/Acquired: Drafted in third round of 2021 NFL draft by Panthers

Positions played: Entering rookie season

Christensen played left tackle throughout his career at BYU. It was his explosive pro day numbers that helped attract the Panthers.

At 6-foot-6, 300-pounds, down about two pounds from his pro day in March, Christensen is an athletic lineman. He posted a 10-foot-4-inch vertical jump, a 4.89 seconds 40-yard dash and a 34-inch vertical leap. His vertical jump was the best recorded by an offensive lineman among available NFL Scouting Combine records. Christensen was also the highest graded tackle in a season ever by PFF (96.0).

The Panthers will try out Christensen, who will turn 25-years old in September, at different spots leading up to the season and it’s possible he ends up as a valuable backup for multiple positions his rookie year. The goal is for the available backups to play more than one spot, as was needed last year due to inevitable injuries and other circumstances.

• Pie 2