• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sooo what's the plan for LT?

Verge

36 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Same arm length as Jordan Gross (and that's been said again and again). It's all about the skill and toughness. I hope he pans out and flashes greatness right away. Otherwise, we're all going to be talking about missed opportunities in the draft.

I think Christensen will be the LT coming out of training camp. His college QB was the #2 overall pick for a number of reasons, and many of those required good pass protection. All of the other candidates we have are either journeymen (at best) or unfulfilled projects at the moment.

It's really his job to lose.

Well Gross' measured arm length was one inch longer than Christensen's. I think that, coupled with being a 25 year old rookie, is what made him slide. But he has all of the tools to be a plug and play starter. And he could very well be playing part of his prime on a rookie deal.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Same arm length as Jordan Gross (and that's been said again and again). It's all about the skill and toughness. I hope he pans out and flashes greatness right away. Otherwise, we're all going to be talking about missed opportunities in the draft.

I think Christensen will be the LT coming out of training camp. His college QB was the #2 overall pick for a number of reasons, and many of those required good pass protection. All of the other candidates we have are either journeymen (at best) or unfulfilled projects at the moment.

It's really his job to lose.

Gross is honestly a pretty good comp for Christensen.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Well, we went to the SB with Oher and Remmers and 11-5 two years later with Matt Kalil and Daryl Williams. We did have Norwell-Ryan-Turner up the middle, but yes you can easily make the playoffs without great LT or overall tackle play. That said, right now our middle may be Elflein, Paradis and Miller so that’s not going to really hide our LT. We need the rookies to step up like Norwell, Turner and Moton did early. The vets we have outside of Moton who isn’t signed after 2021 aren’t top shelf.

Oher and Remmers were pretty darn dominant and very consistent during the regular season. 

• Beer 1

20 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Little will be cut due to numbers--we added 3 OL (Christensen, Brown, and Moore)  and I think all make the roster.  Since I figure we keep no more than 10 OL (Moton, Paradis, Miller, Elflien, Irving, Daley, and Scott)   Little has no future contract coming, might as well cut him and let him go to Buffalo or Washington.

I wouldn't bet on Moore and Brown both making the lineup. A year on PS would help them both. I do agree with you that they both have more of an upside, from what I've seen, that Little. Hell, Kaskey is a big dude that hung around PS all last year, or another FA let go by another team might get signed.

18 hours ago, Shocker said:

I am happy with Horn over Slater and look forward to see how this shakes out.  Christensen has upside.

Agreed, But passing on Radunz at 59 hurt my feelings. I thought he was going to be our guy at 39.

Hell, I would have preferred Humphrey at 59 over Marshall, but I admit that I was a little O-line crazy going into the draft. Marshall was a better value than Humprey, especially if he really was going to be the pick at 52 anyway.

• Pie 1

On 5/12/2021 at 1:58 PM, Mr. Scot said:

Gantt, just after the draft...

At left tackle, it could be Erving. Or Daley. Or Scott. Or Christensen.

A post draft look at the Panthers roster

I don't think little was left off that list because Gantt forgot him.

I honestly think it plays out like this based on what I've seen ..

If healthy Daley barely beats out Erving. Erving barely beats out Scott..

The wildcard is Christensen..

If you take away the role players with short arms have played at LT in history then Christensen should be the starter week 1. Idunno, I think Erving and Daley have the advantage with the latter starting "if" he can stay healthy. Then again, Carolina seems to be that one team that drafts/develops players that excel despite whatever limitation is placed on 'em. 

The only thing I know for certain is, we were graded around the middle of the pack last year ....I think we're improved. 

I see theres a trend with Fields fan and dis-liken the draft. I get the OL issues as well, I mean in my 40+ mocks each had a focus of 3 OLmen with 2 being OTs. Those where with 7 draft picks too. Still if the 3 OLmen have a role on 2022s team, that should change your mind some. I wanted Liam Eichenberg with the 2nd pick too, but the end result was a positive one for me. Odds are 1 or 2 of the OLmen will fail, but Id bet against that right now. 

20 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I did want Fields or Slater instead of Horn. And, in hindsight, I do think Horn is the safest pick of the three. But LT and QB are higher value positions that we also really had a great need for. I hope that we chose the right horse in that race. It will hurt if we didn't. Sewell going one before us was soul crushing. So close.

I have to believe since we have gone through multiple staffs and not moved Moton over, he just isn't the guy at LT.

I honestly think we won't have a guy that starts more than 8 games at LT. It will be shuffling around to see what works, IMO.

100% okay of any of the guys we are going to attempt prove me wrong. It's a lot easier to discover your coaches/front office are geniuses than find out they are fools.

1 hour ago, ColumbusCounty said:

I honestly think it plays out like this based on what I've seen ..

If healthy Daley barely beats out Erving. Erving barely beats out Scott..

The wildcard is Christensen..

If you take away the role players with short arms have played at LT in history then Christensen should be the starter week 1. Idunno, I think Erving and Daley have the advantage with the latter starting "if" he can stay healthy. Then again, Carolina seems to be that one team that drafts/develops players that excel despite whatever limitation is placed on 'em. 

The only thing I know for certain is, we were graded around the middle of the pack last year ....I think we're improved. 

Daley staying healthy would be looking me of a stretch at this point.

Last year they favored Scott over Daley, and while he's not exactly a premier talent, he didn't do a bad job either.

I think it'll come down to Erving, Scott and Christensen. Erving and/or Scott might start Week 1 but I think the job eventually goes to Christensen.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Daley staying healthy would be looking me of a stretch at this point.

Last year they favored Scott over Daley, and while he's not exactly a premier talent, he didn't do a bad job either.

I think it'll come down to Erving, Scott and Christensen. Erving and/or Scott might start Week 1 but I think the job eventually goes to Christensen.

Fair enough. I didn't realize they started Scott over Daley, I thought he got the nod due to injuries. 

Christensen could indeed be a beast in time. I'm reluctant to crown him based on the competition he faced at BYU though.

Also cant forget that the answer may or may not be on the roster yet. Until after preseason cuts.

That interior line though... should have some stiff camp battles. Hopefully Paradis will continue building on his growth last season. And between Erving, Elfein, Brown, Daley, Miller, Moore and Scott, the guard position should be pretty reliable. 

Really wanna see in particular:

Derrick Brown vs Deonte Brown (again)

Brian Burns vs Brady Christensen