• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Minicamp

Mr. Scot

10 hours ago, Snake said:

Any player can bust if they are drafted.

I don't agree with this.  If you cut a 1st thru 4th round than that would be considered more of a bust.

5th through 7th rounders are in competition with everyone that was on the team last year (minus FA departures) and they may not make the team.  They could end up on the P.S. or they may end up on another team and do well with them.  Our goal is to keep the best 53 and because they don't make it with us doesn't mean they are a bust. 

Bust IMO is a player we drafted that was slotted to start or contribute majorly and they don't pan out. Little is a prime example of a bust.

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I don't agree with this.  If you cut a 1st thru 4th round than that would be considered more of a bust.

5th through 7th rounders are in competition with everyone that was on the team last year (minus FA departures) and they may not make the team.  They could end up on the P.S. or they may end up on another team and do well with them.  Our goal is to keep the best 53 and because they don't make it with us doesn't mean they are a bust. 

Bust IMO is a player we drafted that was slotted to start or contribute majorly and they don't pan out. Little is a prime example of a bust.

With that logic a 32 first round pick being a special teamer isn't a bust. 1st to 2nds should be starters, 3rd through 5th should be depth and 6th and 7th are projects.

1 minute ago, Snake said:

With that logic a 32 first round pick being a special teamer isn't a bust. 1st to 2nds should be starters, 3rd through 5th should be depth and 6th and 7th are projects.

To make it clear to you.  First thru Forth round picks should be starters and contributors.  

Based on your logic any player that was drafted and cut is a bust but I can think of two players we cut who went on to have pretty good careers.  Hove and Mathis.  I am sure that there are more. 

3 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

To make it clear to you.  First thru Forth round picks should be starters and contributors.  

Based on your logic any player that was drafted and cut is a bust but I can think of two players we cut who went on to have pretty good careers.  Hove and Mathis.  I am sure that there are more. 

Those two examples are more of a show of how terrible our coaching staff was with development not that sometimes it doesn't work out. Perfect example is Brian Burns he could have been a bust but the coaching staff used him perfectly last year. Putting him into situations that he could succeed and not asking to do things he would fail at. While developing him as well. So yes if you draft a guy and he can contribute nothing to your team he's a bust. Most people don't understand that because we have had one of the worst GMs in the league for over 20 years. Not to mention coaching staffs that cared little in the development of those players.

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Those two examples are more of a show of how terrible our coaching staff was with development not that sometimes it doesn't work out. Perfect example is Brian Burns he could have been a bust but the coaching staff used him perfectly last year. Putting him into situations that he could succeed and not asking to do things he would fail at. While developing him as well. So yes if you draft a guy and he can contribute nothing to your team he's a bust. Most people don't understand that because we have had one of the worst GMs in the league for over 20 years. Not to mention coaching staffs that cared little in the development of those players.

No, a bust is where a player has been evaluated to be a great pick a la our latest bust Little.  Burns would never be a bust.  His talent and measurables would overshadow poor coaching.  While he may not have stats because of poor coaching.  He would not be a bust in any situation.  Based on your theory if we cut Burns because of poor coaching and considered him a bust. However when he goes to another team performed as he has with us.  He wouldn't be a bust.

Those players were cut by our staff because they didn't them our top 53.  They were picked up by other teams and performed well.  Your opinion was they were a bust where my is that they weren't a bust but didn't make our team.  Low round player that didn't make our top 53.  

My point is because we cut a player that was drafted in the lower rounds doesn't necessarily mean they were a bust.  I just means they weren't the top 53 players on our team.  Every year teams cut players and they end up on other teams.  We do it almost every year.  A team cuts a player and we sign them just as players from our team end up signing with other teams. 

If players from your top 4 rounds aren't on your team when the season start.  You evaluated poorly.  This was a continual problem with Hurney. We drafted far too many players in the top 4 rounds that didn't contribute.  You can add Gettleman's to this problem as well.  

We'll have to wait and see if Fitterer falls into this category.  From the picks we made 2 weeks ago.  I'll be shocked if our first 9 picks aren't on the team.  

• Beer 1

16 hours ago, MHS831 said:

No need.  Your word is gold.

Everyone wants immediate results, and I think this line is WAY better than last year.  Did you notice the Tremble/Christensen combo blocks?  Think we are not going to have answers if he takes a while to develop?  We may not start a rookie week 1, but by mid season, we could have 2-3 in the lineup.

I believe the OL last year is better right now, honestly the main issue for me in 2021 is LT. I was alone in predicting the 2020 would finish "mid" pack. I told KungFu, I feel "ok" about 4 out the 5, but thats one big issue at LT. Right-side is basically the same as 2020-Paradis-Miller-Moton. None are too old or level of play should drop in one year(chance to get better too). LG should be filled form the group of Christ, Moore, Erving, ELF, Brown, or Daley. You are MUUUCCCCH higher on Elf than I am. I just dont have a good guess on what Christensen is capable of, hes the wildcard on this OL. Moore missed the 2020 season, so Im not counting much on him for this year. Still super high on him, but Im being real about this. Plus I feel he would not last long on the PS, almost must place him on the 53(or get toe nail IR'd).

Just to throw this out there, this is the most impressive looking rookie class that I ever recall. Horn looks like a rookie patrick peterson, Marshall looks filled out for how tall he is, Tremble looks in shape, Christensen looks just like Moore/Brown in being filled out in the right spots for a OLman, Huddard looks in great shape, Taylor looks almost too tall for CB, and you already know how I feel about Moore/brown. IDGAF about a extra 15-25 LBs on either Brown or Moore, they look fine the way they are. 

• Pie 3

6 hours ago, Agent Blue said:

he has 17 more pounds to go.

he needs to be 330

Here’s a quote from the Rookies Diaries article on Panthers.com:

Panthers head coach Matt Rhule said he wants to keep a realistic goal about Brown's target weight, knowing that his frame is not conducive to being too lean.

"I don't think he's ever going to be a 310-pound guy," Rhule said. "That's just not who he is. He's a big, powerful man. . . .

"I would love it if he was in the, ... most guys wish he'd be in the 330s, but he might be a 340-pound guy."

Based on this info, keeping his weight in the 330-340 range is a realistic goal. I’m excited about his and Moore’s potential to be fixtures on the OL for years to come. Our IOL has been weak for far too long.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, OldhamA said:

It also just occurred to me that we, essentially, got Darnold for a 2nd round pick. The Bucs got Trask.

Yiiiiikes.

And the Panthers invested 24M and have one year to turn Darnold around. Trash will cost 5M total over 4 years. Track busts and they will barely notice. Darnold stays the same and the Panthers are back in the Teddy Vortex of having 19M guaranteed to an ineffective QB. 

On 5/14/2021 at 8:58 PM, MHS831 said:

I watched the interviews linked here earlier (Thanks Mr. Scot).  I was impressed with D. Brown--not just the weight loss (which shows dedication) but his intensity and seriousness.  He said, "If you don't learn it in the classroom, it is not going to make it to the practice field (paraphrase)"  I am sold. He was intelligent and focused.

David Moore was also intelligent, and that is important for a center--if that is where he plays.  He chose the Panthers because the SR Bowl, and Trent Scott, etc.  He is likeable -- I am really pulling for him.  I am noticing a type, and we seem to have brought in very intelligent linemen (Elflein, Brown, Moore, IEving, Christensen).  Spend some time watching their interviews. 

The OL communicates--operate from the same page--say what you want about what they have done at other places, but these guys are sharp.  Not sure about Paradis or Miller--but Moton is very intelligent. 

Learning is a theme here.  These players represent this sentiment--

This interview sold me on Cam Erving:

Great comments, and thanks for this link. I was busy when he signed with the team, never listened to this.

3 hours ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Here’s a quote from the Rookies Diaries article on Panthers.com:

Panthers head coach Matt Rhule said he wants to keep a realistic goal about Brown's target weight, knowing that his frame is not conducive to being too lean.

"I don't think he's ever going to be a 310-pound guy," Rhule said. "That's just not who he is. He's a big, powerful man. . . .

"I would love it if he was in the, ... most guys wish he'd be in the 330s, but he might be a 340-pound guy."

Based on this info, keeping his weight in the 330-340 range is a realistic goal. I’m excited about his and Moore’s potential to be fixtures on the OL for years to come. Our IOL has been weak for far too long.

lol at big framed guy,

reminds me of when women say big boned.

naw you just fat and over eat.

brown can easily get down to 320-330 if he was dedicated to diet and fitness.