• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

South Carolina and Rock Hill having issues paying for the Panthers new HQ

Ja  Rhule

I saw a few comments on a posting from Twitter saying the funding was to go towards roads being upgraded to prevent traffic congestion vs all this money being put the the facility itself. Not saying that makes a difference, but just sharing as I had assumed it was just the facility itself 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, thunderraiden said:

If you could see the eyes rolling out of my head. You just used an example of two seperate billionaires splitting the bill in the biggest per capita market on Earth. 

Your point is?

The original statement was:  

"...there is no precedent for it, the tax payers have always footed the bill..."

Said statement is false.

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Does Tepper actually pay for anything himself? I heard, when he was interviewing FO staff for the Panthers, he made the interviewee pay the tab. I'm seriously not a fan of this guy. The community should own the team like GB.

(I know lots of teams tax their home cities for the stadiums. Doesn't make it right.)

Kinda doubt that, especially given that since a lot of those interviews are being conducted via Zoom.

No "tab" involved in a virtual interview.

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Your statement is categorically false.  

The new Jets/Giants stadium was built with 100% private funding.  

Oh NO, one stadium was privately funded. So 93 percent of stadiums will continue to expect public tax pay money and will continue to get it. 

14 hours ago, Ja Rhule said:

According to Hart, $225 million worth of bonds were supposed to have been issued by the city no later than October 31, 2020. After discussions with the developer of the project, this deadline was later extended to February 26, 2021. This borrowing was supposed to have been repaid with an increase in property taxes on local residents – and Rock Hill agreed to forego 100 percent of its tax revenue until the debt was paid off.

Did Rock Hill meet the second deadline? No …

“To date, the bonds have not yet been issued,” the letter stated.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2021/05/14/carolina-panthers-deal-rock-hill-sc-is-coming-up-short/

Nelson Muntz - Ha Ha - YouTube

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, countryboi said:

Oh NO, one stadium was privately funded. So 93 percent of stadiums will continue to expect public tax pay money and will continue to get it. 

Only if the local residents keep electing pussies who are afraid to tell the billionaires no.  

Watching Charlotte City Council fold to Richardson's L.A. bluff was hilarious...he had nothing.  

Gov. Pat McCrory actually told him no on behalf of the state.  

I'm sure the current Gov. will bend over and take it in the jacksey...

• Flames 2
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, countryboi said:

This stuff is pretty easy to find.  About 3 minutes worth of a search finds that Metlife, StubHub (Chargers), and Gillette were all 100% privately funded.

Levi's Stadium (49ers) was 88% privately funded.  BofA was 77% privately funded.  FedEx and Mercedes-Benz were both about 70% or more privately funded.  Even the Jerry's Excess Palace in Arlington, TX was roughly 2/3rds privately funded.

I don't like the idea of governments funding these things at all.  The economics never work out the way teams and politicians advertise they will.  And when they don't work out, they don't miss on the side of the taxpayers.  But let's do some due diligence before we make claims that are so easy to disprove that even a caveman can do it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

And on the subject of financing, SoFi (Rams, Chargers) was also privately funded.  So while StubHub went away, SoFi replaced it.  I was surprised Kroenke didn't fleece the taxpayers for more than just tax breaks out of that deal (he's not my favorite person).

Privately funded with the NFL doing some of the funding.  I think the tab for SoFi ran about twice the  original estimate. 

7 hours ago, BlackCats2013 said:

PSL prices for the NY stadium were crazy from what I remember. I believe lower sidelines were in the neighborhood of 30k per

I checked with a buddy who is a Giants season ticket-holder...

...he's 8th row on one of the goal lines and his were $10k.  I do believe I remember another friend citing $25k for Giants seats that had been in his family for decades --- probably some kind of club type option.  

It's worth noting 2 different fan bases were paying for a PSL on the same seat...Jets prices were lower.  

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1