• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Camp - Day Two

Mr. Scot

13 hours ago, KB_fan said:

Hey y'all.  Been forever since I posted here.  Last football season too much of my spare time was focused on Covid  or politics. Football got squeezed out.

Don't really have anything insightful to contribute about rookie mini-camp, but so glad it's happening!!

Make sure to catch Matt Rhule's presser today (and yesterday was good too). He had some fascinating comments about sports science and player evaluation. Basically last year's lack of mini-camp etc. meant that they were still learning about players' abilities when the games counted. I believe it was a huge obstacle for a totally new staff. 

The evaluation process Rhule described today sounds really different from what we typically heard from Ron.  This was the best Rhule presser I've heard...he was just so focused and so beyond just normal coach-speak platitudes. Gave me a much better feel for him, and I liked what I heard.

Yes, it was a great listen! Did you note Rhule's face at the beginning of the presser? Talking about someone that looked checked in--he looked like he was ready to jump out the chair, over the table and onto someone!😂

As for my general feelings about Rhule, I already know that he's a very smart guy. He's impressive! So the presser didn't make me feel any better about him as much as it just confirmed what I already suspected. He knows what he's looking for and is true to his process, which he has confidence in, but he's also flexible enough to be open-minded (which is also a natural part of his process). 

I know that some Huddlers have been critical of Rhule from the start, comparing him to Chip Kelly and all, and even continue to criticize him now, but I would not bet against coach Rhule at this point. He'll get us to perennial elite status.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You mean how some compared Fields to Mahomes? 

I don't think it is a far fetched Idea that Tremble could be compared to Kittle.  As noted, he came from a similar situation and is rated as a better prospect than Kittle coming out of college.  He was also rated as he 2nd best TE coming out of this draft.  (At least on a few of the pundits.)

Every year basically every player coming out of the draft is compared to a current NFL player.  Some pan out to be as advertised.  Some don't.   I'll put my cap on as advertised.

If Brady uses him properly and he shows he was under utilized at ND we could have 5 amazing targets on the field at the same time.  Imagine Moore, Anderson, Marshall, Tremble and CMC going out for passes.  Someone is going to be open or at minimum one on one. 

Tommy dropped more passes in college than TDs scored. That’s why he got moved down the priority list for targets. I don’t believe Kittle was in the same situation. 

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I mean they've no idea yet.

It's not like he's lined up across from Burns and been roasted. He's going through basic drills and undergoing the start of the offensive gameplan install.

They'll know what they have in August. And I'd take an elite G any day of the week if that's what he turns into.

Agreed. If he really is an elite guard, that was a phenomenal pick. 

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

This draft class is so interesting.   For so long we could just discard anyone drafted after the second round because they were all busts.  

Not all these guys will make it.  But there are a bunch of value picks after the second rebound that actually look like they will surprise us.  

So refreshing not scratching our heads about picks like Rashaan Gualden. 

Or Armanti Edwards lol…..

2 hours ago, Varking said:

Tommy dropped more passes in college than TDs scored. That’s why he got moved down the priority list for targets. I don’t believe Kittle was in the same situation. 

How long did you have to dig to find a way to make it sound like he's not as good?  TDs aren't the qualifying argument.  You can manipulate stats for any argument.  How many drops compared to targets and receptions.  

So how are you going to dismiss that he actually had a higher rating than Kittle coming out of college?

I have seen where he had some drop issues and didn't get many reps after they moved another TE into the mix but he still had many positive receptions. 

11 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

How long did you have to dig to find a way to make it sound like he's not as good?  TDs aren't the qualifying argument.  You can manipulate stats for any argument.  How many drops compared to targets and receptions.  

So how are you going to dismiss that he actually had a higher rating than Kittle coming out of college?

I have seen where he had some drop issues and didn't get many reps after they moved another TE into the mix but he still had many positive receptions. 

Literally not long at all considering it was shared when we drafted him. He had more drops than TDs. He moved down the priority list at that point. Then they gave a true freshman an opportunity to catch passes and he was supremely better at it than Tremble so he became a backup backup backup plan catching the ball. 

As far as comps and being rated higher than Kittle? Lots of guys are misrated coming out of college. He will not be Kittle. He will not be as good as Kittle. Book that. That doesn’t mean he will be awful but thats the reason why he not only fell in the draft but also fell on the Notre Dame depth chart. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, Varking said:

Literally not long at all considering it was shared when we drafted him. He had more drops than TDs. He moved down the priority list at that point. Then they gave a true freshman an opportunity to catch passes and he was supremely better at it than Tremble so he became a backup backup backup plan catching the ball. 

As far as comps and being rated higher than Kittle? Lots of guys are misrated coming out of college. He will not be Kittle. He will not be as good as Kittle. Book that. That doesn’t mean he will be awful but thats the reason why he not only fell in the draft but also fell on the Notre Dame depth chart. 

Another Huddle pipedream player. Outliers are outliers for a reason.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Another Huddle pipedream player. Outliers are outliers for a reason.

I’m not saying he is going to work out but I’m not sure if you can consider him an outlier if he got drafted close to where some teams had him ranked.