• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Camp - Day Two

Mr. Scot

On 5/15/2021 at 4:26 PM, kungfoodude said:

So....basically a guard.

I wouldn't go that far just yet.

The good news though is that even if Christiansen doesn't prove to be our left tackle of the future, it doesn't sound like he'll be a wasted pick like Greg Little.

It's very possible that he could man the left tackle spot adequately this year but be moved elsewhere next year in favor of a highly drafted or free agent left tackle.

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

The wet blankets who think they are scouts have arrived.

Stat sheet scouts.....lol. 

Hell, we all do that when we are putting together our mock drafts. I'm especially guilty because I don't follow college football. On the other hand, I have enough sense to realize that the team of professionals who are paid millions of dollars to build a team might, just might, know more than I do.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

On the other hand, I have enough sense to realize that the team of professionals who are paid millions of dollars to build a team might, just might, know more than I do.

There are people on here who insist such thinking is crazy.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I guess that means Marty Hurney is more qualified than us, in that case? 

More qualified than us? Yeah. Definitely had better resources available to him than us.

Unfortunately, his job isn't to be better than us. That'd be easy. 

His job is (was) to be better than guys like Mickey Loomis and Jason Licht.

Given those conditions, he was a spectacular failure.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

More qualified than us? Yeah. Definitely had better resources available to him than us.

Unfortunately, his job isn't to be better than us. That'd be easy. 

His job is (was) to be better than guys like Mickey Loomis and Jason Licht.

Given those conditions, he was a spectacular failure.

He isn’t more qualified than SCP!

10 hours ago, stbugs said:

What about Beau Sandland and his amazing catches? Still can’t believe he never had a catch.

There’s being hopeful and then there’s people thinking we could get 7-8 contributors it of this draft. They may not realize that there’s only 22 starters and a handful of key contributors. Replacing 1/3 of those in one class is a wee bit crazy or it means we have had the worst injury year in a long time.

Good point.

I see us likely getting 5-6 starters / key contributors.

Horn, 

Terrace OR Shi,

1-2 OL, 

Tremble,

Nixon,

& maybe the LS Fletcher

12 hours ago, stbugs said:

What about Beau Sandland and his amazing catches? Still can’t believe he never had a catch.

There’s being hopeful and then there’s people thinking we could get 7-8 contributors it of this draft. They may not realize that there’s only 22 starters and a handful of key contributors. Replacing 1/3 of those in one class is a wee bit crazy or it means we have had the worst injury year in a long time.

That guy had to have 8+ ras score, he was a elite athlete. If you get two solid NFL starters and 1 top backup/care STers, thats a success. This class has one big thing going for it- panthers roster pre-daft had plenty of room. I already see Hoskins as cut and maybe PS( I doubt). I see a better out-look for 2022.

High hopes for Marshall, Nixon, Brown, Smith, and Moore.

Meh on Horn(not the player, just knocking the position mainly. was my #1 CB). Christensen(OG, not LT), Hubbard, and Taylor(hes close to high hopes)

??? Tremble, Long Safety, Hoskins(ok player at that point, just wanted a LB, bad reason for me).

I take in where they are drafted in this, big part of groupings. 

18 hours ago, AU-panther said:

I agree with you that I'm not a fan of chasing exceptions.  Its a dangerous slope that usually ends up being a losing gamble.  My only point was I don't think his draft position was the reach that alot of fans thought.

In regards to the rest of the draft class I agree with your POV. 

Rookie DBs struggle, look at Okuda and Henderson last year. 

OTs often struggle, let alone one from the 3rd round, who might end up being a guard anyway.  How many good LTs are there in the league? 10-12.  Some of which are in their late 30s.  So in the last 15 years the league has only found 10-12 but we found one in the 3rd round?  I hope so but we have to be realistic.

I actually feel the best about Marshall, for whatever reason WRs seem to transition a little better recently.  Also he is going to be asked to be the 2nd or 3rd option.

Darnold I'm rooting for, but honestly players are usually what they are by this time in this career.  He definitely has tools, and I think he will be set up better for success here.  My big fear is he improves just enough for us to pay him a big contract but not really be elite.

Yeah and I don't think fans appreciate how widely the specific teams draft boards vary, either. When people start going bananas skewering the media mock drafts that are outside the box, I don't think they realize that is also the case with a real NFL franchise draft board. The variance can be pretty large on single player evals. 

I thought Tremble was a reach because I don't see relatively one dimensional TE's as having even third round value. But, I also don't coach nor offensively scheme for the Carolina Panthers. So, my difference in opinion from them might be astronomical. 

On 5/15/2021 at 1:37 PM, Basbear said:

That was my thought as well...... never going to replace LT...

Glad to hear that, was worried, seen that thought everywhere. To me its the craziest idea that came form the draft. Yep panthers got a clone of the best overall TE in the third round, suuuuuuurrrreee... Hope hes better than Kittle n' bits, but Im farr tooo much of a realist to go along with that statement 

I doubt he will be Kittle but isn't it weird to down play him being a third round pick when the 49ers got Kittle in the 5th? 

On 5/15/2021 at 6:45 PM, KB_fan said:

Hey y'all.  Been forever since I posted here.  Last football season too much of my spare time was focused on Covid  or politics. Football got squeezed out.

Don't really have anything insightful to contribute about rookie mini-camp, but so glad it's happening!!

Make sure to catch Matt Rhule's presser today (and yesterday was good too). He had some fascinating comments about sports science and player evaluation. Basically last year's lack of mini-camp etc. meant that they were still learning about players' abilities when the games counted. I believe it was a huge obstacle for a totally new staff. 

The evaluation process Rhule described today sounds really different from what we typically heard from Ron.  This was the best Rhule presser I've heard...he was just so focused and so beyond just normal coach-speak platitudes. Gave me a much better feel for him, and I liked what I heard.

Thought you left us KB. Glad I was wrong, welcome back.