• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

D.Watson are we still interested ?

Leotiger

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

Well we still don't know what the league will do about all this or if this is actually the end of this public turmoil for Watson. From the Panthers perspective they seem set with Darnold so if Watson were to become an option again it would be many months from now.

"That said, there was good reason to initiate settlement talks early in Watson’s case. Buzbee and his clients have more leverage  if the cases are settled under circumstances that allow Watson to be traded before the start of training camp."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/15/report-evidence-shows-tony-buzbees-team-initiating-deshaun-watson-settlement-talks/amp/

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Many weeks ago now, Scot. I think the pertinent questions now have shifted to potential problems in the future.

That too. The pattern could very well indicate compulsive behavior.

Looking beyond the legal stuff though, there's another aspect as well...

The perceived interest we had before was all based around the idea that David Tepper wanted him and was willing to move heaven and earth to get him.

We now know that Tepper (wisely) isn't driving football decisions, choosing instead to allow Fitterer and Rhule to run the "football stuff" without interference.

That changes the whole dynamic.

• Pie 1

If the price is reduced significantly because of his off field troubles then I'd take a chance on him. Wouldn't be comfortable giving up more than like 2 first rounders (which would be late first if we had him with this roster) at this point though, that's just too much risk for him even if he is "cleared."

19 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

He’s radioactive and Tepper will not risk the the team’s or his own professional reputation.  Chernobyl can be bought cheap, too.  Is that a bargain?

We don't know what Tepper is willing to do. Whoever gives Watson an opportunity to redeem himself isn't really risking their reputation or their franchise at the end of the day. That's an overblown narrative trying to be given wings on football message boards and the Internet, but it's not truly representative of cold-hearted business in real life. A situation where Deshaun Watson comes to a settlement and is freed from/of anything criminal is problematic to a team, but not "radioactive". People are just going to have to put their big boy pants on and wait and see what happens.

Like I said, if I had to bet, I'd bet we roll with Darnold, but I wouldn't be surprised if we keep a finger on the pulse of what's going on. 

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, AceBoogie said:

Lol at y’all turning your noses up at Deshaun when he never wanted to play here in the first place. But whatever makes you feel better. 

He did want to play here. Not saying this was his first choice or not, but it was certainly a choice. And, it was reported early.

48 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Whoever gives Watson an opportunity to redeem himself isn't really risking their reputation or their franchise at the end of the day.

I’m thankful you are not running the risk management function in my company.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Lol at y’all turning your noses up at Deshaun when he never wanted to play here in the first place. But whatever makes you feel better. 

Never wanted him even before the allegations. Any player that thinks he is more important and has more power than those above him isnt in line with the program

22 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

I’m thankful you are not running the risk management function in my company.  

I'm sure that neither Art Modell (Ray Lewis)  or Dan Rooney (Ben Roethlisberger) among others would follow your risk management advice. Jeffrey Lurie (Michael Vick) probably wouldn't take it neither. Perhaps Steve Biscotti (Donte Stallworth) or Dr. Jerry Buss (Kobe Bryant) would cotton to your risk-management assessments as it pertains to players...Like I said, "Put your big boy pants on!"

If Watson settles and/or is freed of CRIMINAL wrongdoing, he WILL get an opportunity to resume his NFL career somewhere!

And, this ain't got sh¡t to do with me running the "risk management function" in your company. I'm just relating to you how the real world works based upon history and experience.

If it's up to me, Sam Darnold will ball out so well, that our interest in Watson will become a footnote in NFL trivia!

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 3