• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

D.Watson are we still interested ?

Leotiger

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I referenced someone doing exactly what I said NFL owners do…

The above is you trying to reframe Jerry Richardson being brought up.  Discussing whose involvement and what was good or bad is a completely different topic.  

Riiiiight.

Jerry Richardson is a perfect example of what NFL owners shouldn't do. If you wanna frame him as anything else, I think we're done here.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Riiiiight.

Jerry Richardson is a perfect example of what NFL owners shouldn't do. If you wanna frame him as anything else, I think we're done here.

He is simply an example of owners being owners.  That’s the discussion, 

Take the most successful franchise like the Patriots? Kraft forced Bill to send Jimmy G packing.   GM/Bill didn’t want to do that….but owners are going to be owners.  That’s the point.  Tepper will be one.  

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

He is simply an example of owners being owners.  That’s the discussion, 

Take the most successful franchise like the Patriots? Kraft forced Bill to send Jimmy G packing.   GM/Bill didn’t want to do that….but owners are going to be owners.  That’s the point.  Tepper will be one.  

It's an example of owners being bad owners.

And while I get that it's what you want to happen, it's not guaranteed Tepper will do that just because others have.

JR was the only owner that actually played football at the pro level.  He liked to get involved in day to day decisions that should have been left to the GM and HC.  By doing so he undermined their authority with the players. 

We had an offensive coordinator that wasn't allowed to speak with Steve Smith for an entire season.  Players who were fan favorites that went over the head of the GM when they wanted better contracts/extensions. 

JR may have been a wiz with pie charts, but he was too involved with the teams daily activities for his own good.  

1 hour ago, CRA said:

yes, Tepper didn't trump his brand new GM that he literally just hired on his major first decision. 

you are claiming that means Tepper will never be involved with football decisions going forward?  I don't buy that.  It's the NFL.    And we don't know these dudes at all.  If Tepper really thinks something is right or wrong...I fully expect him to get what he wants.    Having a preference about a pick isn't exactly the same thing as believing a GM is about to fug up something. 

And that has nothing to do with me wanting Fields.  What are you even talking about lol. 

Agreed, Fitt has been here 5 minutes.  How does that look if Tep is already stepping over him on the decision making? I wouldn't expect him to overrule Fitt on drafting a unknown rookie. Deshaun Watson is a different story. This should be common sense.

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's an example of owners being bad owners.

And while I get that it's what you want to happen, it's not guaranteed Tepper will do that just because others have.

Well, it's generally the bad that draws attention.  That's what I want to happen?  No, I'm merely stating Tepper spent billions and billions on a team....and in the end will do what owners consistently do.  Which isn't just let his staff do whatever they want down the road. 

Kraft is a bad owner?  If he is a bad owner...who is a good owner? 

• Beer 1

Of course, as the owner, Tepper has the ability to override anyone within the organization.  We know this.

However, there are consequences to disregarding the advice of your GM and HC.  Presumably they were hired for their expertise.  If you are going to disregard that expertise what are they there for?  

Trading for Watson would have a major impact on the team for years to come and not necessarily for the better.

If Owner, GM and HC aren't in agreement on such an important decision it would likely undermine their trust in one another from that point forward.

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

Well, it's generally the bad that draws attention.  That's what I want to happen?  No, I'm merely stating Tepper spent billions and billions on a team....and in the end will do what owners consistently do.  Which isn't just let his staff do whatever they want down the road. 

Kraft is a bad owner?  If he is a bad owner...who is a good owner? 

So basically you're certain that Rhule and Fitterer are going to be bad and force Tepper to interfere.

I'm not betting on that just yet.

Edited by Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So basically you're certain that Rhule and Fitterer are going to be bad and force Tepper to interfere.

I'm not betting on that just yet.

no, I'm just certain Tepper is a NFL owner and will act like a NFL owner going forward. 

Does Kraft get involved at times because he thinks Belichick is bad and incompetent?  or does he get involved simply because it is his team and he occasionally sees the big picture different...and wins in those moments. 

• Beer 1

Just now, CRA said:

no, I'm just certain Tepper is a NFL owner and will act like an NFL owner going forward. 

Does Kraft get involved at times because he thinks Belichick is bad and incompetent?  or does he get involved simply because it is his team and he occasionally sees the big picture different...and win in those moments. 

Owners get involved because they think they know better than people who have years of actual experience doing their jobs.

More often than not, they're wrong.

My hope Is that David Tepper is smarter than that. He has been so far, so here's hoping he continues.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Owners get involved because they think they know better than people who have years of actual experience doing their jobs.

More often than not, they're wrong.

My hope Is that David Tepper is smarter than that. He has been so far, so here's hoping he continues.

Owners get involved because they own the teams.  It's their billions invested.  That's just how it works.  

and GMs and HCs and Owners......all make shitty decisions sometimes.  So does Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Biden, Trump, me, you.  That's a people thing.   I don't expect Tepper to be Jerry Jones.  But for you to dig your heels in on Tepper not being a standard NFL owner that is involved and will make some final decisions with his team going forward....just seems like a weird mountain to die on.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Owners get involved because they own the teams.  It's their billions invested.  That's just how it works.  

and GMs and HCs and Owners......all make shitty decisions.  So does Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Biden, Trump, me, you.  That's a people thing.   I don't expect Tepper to be Jerry Jones.  But for you to dig your heels in on Tepper not being a standard NFL owner that is involved and will make some final decisions with his team going forward....just seems like a weird mountain to die on. 

If I make millions trading stocks, and then I buy a home building business, does that mean I know how to build a home?

As to Tepper, I'm going off of what he himself has said.

Could he go back on that? Sure, but of he's smart he won't.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

If I make millions trading stocks, and then I buy a home building business, does that mean I know how to build a home?

As to Tepper, I'm going off of what he himself has said.

Could he go back on that? Sure, but of he's smart he won't.

Doesn't mean you know about building homes but it means your millions are at risk going forward....and you do seem like the type that would have some strong input in what would happen down the road with it. 

• Beer 1