• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fostering a pet

toldozer

We foster dogs quite a bit.  We have just one 7 year old dog and often work with groups needing a hand in keeping a dog or pup for several days  always a rewarding experience for us, our dog and the foster pup (I think).  The only advise I can give is treat and care for him or her like they are in their forever home but know that they aren’t.  Easier said than done I know.

• Pie 1

I think he is already very attached to our other pups eventhough one of them still isn't sure about him. It will definitely be hard to let him go already and I'm pretty sure my wife wants to keep him so hopefully he finds a home quickly or we will probably end up with a 4th dog lol

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, toldozer said:

I think he is already very attached to our other pups eventhough one of them still isn't sure about him. It will definitely be hard to let him go already and I'm pretty sure my wife wants to keep him so hopefully he finds a home quickly or we will probably end up with a 4th dog lol

That's why I can't foster dogs.  I saw the pictures and I was like "so where can I fit a 3rd crate???"

My wife and I agree if we started fostering dogs, we'd end up with all the dogs...and we'd keep them all!

If you can, bless you!  Best of luck!  I'd recommend working on training the dog.  Leash manners, learn what triggers the dog, basic commands, etc.  That will set them up for success if you can give them up =P

• Pie 2

29 minutes ago, d-dave said:

That's why I can't foster dogs.  I saw the pictures and I was like "so where can I fit a 3rd crate???"

My wife and I agree if we started fostering dogs, we'd end up with all the dogs...and we'd keep them all!

If you can, bless you!  Best of luck!  I'd recommend working on training the dog.  Leash manners, learn what triggers the dog, basic commands, etc.  That will set them up for success if you can give them up =P

So right now Clyde is a champ on leash walking and does very very well.  Doesnt react to much just very chill.  He also respects our other male dog and walks away from him instead of getting upset back when Finley gets in his feelings about me giving Clyde attention. We are working on sit and wait for food. He's an awesome sitter but the wait will take some time. We are giving him a super short wait - ok right now because he was so malnourished when the other family found him a week ago so as long as we get him to wait for us to put the food down that's a win for right now. We had one pee incident in the house yesterday but that was on me. Our dogs like to eat and then go pottie, he clearly needs to go right out and pee. He's already well behaved but he is also still feeling things out,  it will take a while for his "bad habits" to come out but hopefully he doesn't have too much to address. 

• Pie 2

Just now, toldozer said:

So right now Clyde is a champ on leash walking and does very very well.  Doesnt react to much just very chill.  He also respects our other male dog and walks away from him instead of getting upset back when Finley gets in his feelings about me giving Clyde attention. We are working on sit and wait for food. He's an awesome sitter but the wait will take some time. We are giving him a super short wait - ok right now because he was so malnourished when the other family found him a week ago so as long as we get him to wait for us to put the food down that's a win for right now. We had one pee incident in the house yesterday but that was on me. Our dogs like to eat and then go pottie, he clearly needs to go right out and pee. He's already well behaved but he is also still feeling things out,  it will take a while for his "bad habits" to come out but hopefully he doesn't have too much to address. 

Yep!  Sounds like Clyde is in a wonderful spot!  Good luck!  Looks like a sweet baby!

I day fostered 5 kittens for a friend last year - she would drop them off in the am and pick them up when ever she got off work- sometimes it would be late. We bottle fed them, I was the first to get them to eat from one, rubbed their belly and butts to get them to poop/pee - the whole deal) TBH  me and my wife got quite attached to them all but knew we couldn't keep them all , not with our other pets - should not have even taken even one but we did.  What made it easier was that we helped find great homes for the other 4 and took what we thought would be the least adoptable one (the only male) ourselves.  He and his siblings were a real joy in our lives and a blessing through some of the worst times of the pandemic when it seemed the world was going to poo.    Try to remember your place in the scheme of things - you are your pups stepping stone to a better life.  That is about all that will make it any easier I think.

Here is our newest family member about 12 days old I believe

P1010004.JPG

Edited by Paa Langfart
  • Pie 5

Look at the situation like you’re trying to set Clyde up for success in his new home. Learn his habits, good and bad. Things like is he good with other dogs, kids, does he have any issues that his adopted person or people should know about.  Start a training program with him. Sounds like you’re starting to do that. You wanna know what forever home would be the best situation for Clyde so he’s not shuffling between homes. Sadly this happens a lot with adopted dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Clyde is officially available for adoption. He is still healing from his neutering but is starting out heartworm regiment on Wednesday.  Rescue will pay for all his heartworm related medical bills for his adopters. He would be best in a home without cats and still has some work to do on manners. An ideal situation for him would be someone who works from home. He has been diagnosed with separation anxiety and is on meds for it. He is also an escape artist from crates so zip ties and locks would be necessary

Edited by toldozer
  • Pie 1

• 1 month later...