• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Success

BrianS

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

and Kelly Bryant went 16-2 and had the job before Lawrence.  He went to the college playoffs his first year as the starter and would have gone back the second year too.   Clemson is a super friendly place to find success. 

But no one ever mentions any of that with Trevor. 

Eyeball test.  Trevor was a different.  I think Fields was similar in that respect...when you look at him vs others that played up there.   

I think with Trevor and Fields you have two very highly recruited High School QBs that fully lived up to expectations in college and had multiple years of success against top teams. Throw in their arm talent and intelligence and they seem like safer picks than most IMO. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd have to look it up, but I remember a few years back reading an extensive article about how colleges moving away from pro style systems to super simplified offenses wasn't doing players any favors when it came to their pro transitions, especially quarterbacks and wide receivers.

Obviously though, the goal of a college program isn't to prepare players for the pros. It's to win games.

I remember that talk going on.  I'm not sure the argument held up though.   College did stuff different.  They were getting their hands on great athletes at QB and using them.  NFL didn't like seeing the different stuff at first.   So they bashed it because they didn't run those concepts with Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, etc. 

I haven't looked at stats, and a lot of it is probably the rule changes and softer coverage....but WRs seem to have an easier time transitioning now. 

40 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Haskins was the only player with the same coach/system. Ryan Day just became the head coach in 2019 and uses his own system. Which again is why it’s silly to right off prospects from an entire university that has had several staff/coaching changes. 
Also Texas Tech ran a QB friendly spread offense and what did the Chiefs do? Draft Mahomes and cater their offense to his strengths. Worked out pretty well...

Jimmy,  I was just throwing it out there to give us something to chew on in May, but there is something to both sides of the argument that makes it very interesting to debate.  You are bringing some good stuff to the table, and so are the people who oppose your perspectives.  I may be sick, (confirmed) but I love a debate that has no winner--

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

I remember that talk going on.  I'm not sure the argument held up though.   College did stuff different.  They were getting their hands on great athletes at QB and using them.  NFL didn't like seeing the different stuff at first.   So they bashed it because they didn't run those concepts with Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, etc. 

I haven't looked at stats, and a lot of it is probably the rule changes and softer coverage....but WRs seem to have an easier time transitioning now. 

Stats are affected by rule changes. Quality of play not so much.

I can tell you from watching that the quality of play in the NFL isn't what it used to be. Colleges changing systems would not be the only reason, but it's a reason.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Stats are affected by rule changes. Quality of play not so much.

I can tell you from watching that the quality of play in the NFL isn't what it used to be. Colleges changing systems would not be the only reason, but it's a reason.

I mean, the rules have dramatically changed the game.  The NFL wants points.  They want to highlight the QBs in generating those points. 

and as a result of that, WRs have it easier.  Much easier to come into the NFL now as a WR with the rules stacking the deck in your favor vs prior eras IMO. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MadHatter said:

Not entirely true.  The system that a QB plays in at college absolutely has an impact in whether they are likely to succeed.

i am nervous about Fields because of the QB friendly system that he played in at OSU..which limits the ability to evaluate on the things it didn’t ask him to do.  Jones, Pryor, and Haskins (the 3 qb’s right before him at OSU) all looked like heisman caliber qb’s in that system...and all have been complete and utter failures in the NFL.

Does that mean Fields will be a bust?  Absolutely not.  But, it dies make evaluating and projecting him in an nfl system more difficult...and causes teams to question it.

Or does this just make it easier to evaluate those who come from a 'pro' system? Just because they didn't do it in college, doesn't mean they can't. Yes, they may have an advantage getting acclimated but it ultimately comes down to the player's ability.

40 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Jimmy,  I was just throwing it out there to give us something to chew on in May, but there is something to both sides of the argument that makes it very interesting to debate.  You are bringing some good stuff to the table, and so are the people who oppose your perspectives.  I may be sick, (confirmed) but I love a debate that has no winner--

kim kardashian shade GIF by Bunim/Murray Productions