• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2019 Draft, an "all time dud"?

Mr. Scot

21 minutes ago, IceUpSon2001 said:

I was thinking Hurney was "just bad" but after reading all this it's really got my anger fires burning. Hurney was a dumpster fire. Looking at previous drafts and how many misses he had, wow. Suckfest. Gettleman, while he had a plan was not far behind Hurney. I hope Fitterer is better. Seemed like some of the picks this year were Rhule's picks and not Scott's

I think Hurney the draft guy was actually decent.  I mean if you compare our drafting to other teams.  Other teams strike out pretty regularly and also do it with top picks.  Hurney was one of the biggest home run hitters at the top of the draft.  And plenty of franchises have regularly had good draft picks too and failed there. 

I think everything else about Hurney was horrible though.   His contracts.  His commitment to his guys.  His inability after about 2006 to improve the team via FA. 

• Beer 1

We knew the defense was in rebuild mode, and we all know that defense wins championships. Well, a defense full of rookies, we should have cut our losses. Get the roster younger and cheaper. a rookie defense against Brady, Brees and Ryan.  Should have drafted all CB's in the draft or instead of Teddy get a good FA CB

2 hours ago, frash.exe said:

as bad as that sounds it’s not even his worst one

2009, wherein hurney traded the next year’s first round pick for a seminole who had no business playing as a down lineman in the pros, and our best player from that draft turns out to be a 5’8’’ cornerback from the 7th round

or how about 2010? yea, let’s trade a 2nd round pick for a player that would’ve probably been a UDFA otherwise. i mean, we did get greg hardy in the 6th round, but everybody knows how that turned out in the end.

These are both awful drafts. At least with most of his drafts we got 1 good player.

1 hour ago, IceUpSon2001 said:

Why didn't they just roll with Will last year? We would have won 1 maybe 2 games in my opinion and been in the Trevor sweepstakes. Or...you find out Grier is good. I am thinking he is not but, you drafted him, find out.

Because Matt Rhule is here to win football games.

Just now, IceUpSon2001 said:

We were always at the top because we were bad.  I'd rather be drafting in the 25-32 picks in 1st round.  Luke, Cam, McCaffrey, Burns were good picks.

Stewart, Beason, Williams, Gross, Peppers, TD too.  

I mean, plenty of other teams have also had top picks pretty consistently.  Few hit the consistent homeruns Hurney did in the first. 

I just don't think drafting was the issue overall with Hurney.   If you stack him up there vs the other franchises.   The cap got a mess with bad deals and roster management and he wasn't able to finish the job in FA like he did early on here.  Hurney was praised his first several years here.  Asking him to managing contracts for his guys and the cap imploded it all IMO. 

Just now, OldhamA said:

Because Matt Rhule is here to win football games.

Everyone talked about Temple and Baylor, he was not good the first year, got better the 2nd and was winning in the 3rd year. Tepper should know the first year would not be good. Add covid and completely new staff, new players, I think 2-14 would have been acceptable if it got us Trevor. 

4 minutes ago, IceUpSon2001 said:

We were always at the top because we were bad.  I'd rather be drafting in the 25-32 picks in 1st round.  Luke, Cam, McCaffrey, Burns were good picks.

Gettleman picked McCaffrey . Most of Marty's first round hits were no-brainers, imo.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

For anyone wondering, the other guys on the roster bubble list were Trenton Cannon, Brandon Zylstra, Bravvion Roy, Troy Pride Jr and Stantley Thomas-Oliver.

The reasons behind each one are pretty much the same; a number of new faces acquired at their positions could put them in danger.

I would feel pretty safe if I were Roy, he played above expectations last year. I see him being cheap depth for a while. The new faces at DT are more pass rusher types, whereas he's a big ole space eater.

Also, I doubt they cut Pride and STO. OMO, Pride did enough last season to earn another shot at contributing.