• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Questions about Newton's status in NE?

Mr. Scot

4 hours ago, Car123 said:

Y’all quick to post negative Newton news.

It's not even news. Lol. Just speculation from some random reporter with a pretty interesting "Incidents" section on Wikipedia.

In May 2017 Breer dismissed widely reported allegations that baseball player Adam Jones was the target of racist taunts by fans at Fenway Park because, according to Breer "I've probably been to 200 games at Fenway in my life. Never heard a slur yelled at a player."[6]

In 2017 Breer repeatedly defended NFL front offices against allegations of "blackballing" Colin Kaepernick for his decision to protest the national anthem.[7]

Edited by rico6

Just now, rico6 said:

It's not even news. Lol. Just speculation from some random reporter with a pretty interesting "Incidents" section on Wikipedia.

In May 2017 Breer dismissed widely reported allegations that baseball player Adam Jones was the target of racist taunts by fans at Fenway Park because, according to Breer "I've probably been to 200 games at Fenway in my life. Never heard a slur yelled at a player."[6]

In 2017 Breer repeatedly defended NFL front offices against allegations of "blackballing" Colin Kaepernick for his decision to protest the national anthem.[7]

He's not the only person mentioning this. 

1 minute ago, rico6 said:

In May 2017 Breer dismissed widely reported allegations that baseball player Adam Jones was the target of racist taunts by fans at Fenway Park because, according to Breer "I've probably been to 200 games at Fenway in my life. Never heard a slur yelled at a player."[6]

In 2017 Breer repeatedly defended NFL front offices against allegations of "blackballing" Colin Kaepernick for his decision to protest the national anthem.[7]

I guess breer never heard them call anyone a cracker, so he did not consider it a slur. 

If Mac Jones is the starter in NE it is because he was handed the job. He is not an alpha that goes out and wins a job.  

• Poo 1

Just now, Moo Daeng said:

He's not the only person mentioning this. 

He's not the only person what? Speculating? Lol. Maybe should have led with one of those guys instead of the guy who was banned by the NFL Network from covering the Patriots. Regardless it's not newsworthy and didn't deserve its own topic here. Unsourced and uninteresting. A waste of time for everyone.

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

I guess breer never heard them call anyone a cracker, so he did not consider it a slur. 

If Mac Jones is the starter in NE it is because he was handed the job. He is not an alpha that goes out and wins a job.  

I actually think it's gonna be fascinating to watch whether Jones succeeds or fails.

Mind you, I'm more comfortable knowing that particular experiment is happening somewhere other than here.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I actually think it's gonna be fascinating to watch whether Jones succeeds or fails.

Mind you, I'm more comfortable knowing that particular experiment is happening somewhere other than here.

I definitely share your viewpoint on that. I dont think Mac Jones is ever going to be anything other than average at best. 

NE fans think he is the next tom brady, but he is more likely to be the next Case Keenum.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There are reports from Yahoo Sports and other sources that the Patriots were "blown away" by Mac Jones at their rookie minicamp.

Take it for what it's worth.

Yeah I believe the same was said for Lance and Fields. Haven’t read much about Wilson. His mother’s social media has been more of a story than he has been. 

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Horn might end up being a great CB, but ultimately whether or not he was a good pick is going to hinge on what happens at the QB position. If Darnold flops while Fields and/or Jones go on to become legit franchise QBs... oh wee mayne.

I dont think that has anything to do with it. Those teams run different systems, there is no guarantee either of them would succeed here, even if they succeed somewhere else. 

Using that same logic how many of our picks have been "bad picks"?

CMC? Luke? Where do you draw the line? 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

I dont think that has anything to do with it. Those teams run different systems, there is no guarantee either of them would succeed here, even if they succeed somewhere else. 

Luke and CMC were arguably the best positionally in the NFL by year 3.  

If Horn is arguably the best DB in the NFL by year 3? It won’t matter what what anyone else does.   He will be a good pick.   

but like RB, LB….a DB has minimal ability to lift a bad or okay team into something else.  And that will likely be talked about occasionally.  As it has been with CMC, Luke, etc at times.    That of course, would require subpar and inconsistent QB play to remain in Carolina for those discussions to pop up though.  

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

It's worth debate. RB and off the ball LB are relatively low value positions. There's a good argument for never drafting either in the top 10.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Luke and CMC were arguably the best positionally in the NFL by year 3.  

If Horn is arguably the best DB in the NFL by year 3? It won’t matter what what anyone else does.   He will be a good pick.   

but like RB, LB….a DB has minimal ability to lift a bad or okay team into something else.  And that will likely be talked about occasionally.  As it has been with CMC, Luke, etc at times.  

He won't be a good pick if we don't solve the QB problem while one of the QBs we passed on flourishes. If you don't have a QB you can't compete.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's worth debate. RB and off the ball LB are relatively low value positions. There's a good argument for never drafting either in the top 10.

I don’t think a team should ever spend a first round pick on a RB or sign one to a big deal.  Big picture.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can agree with the positional values, but you cannot say every player we picked was a bad pick because some QB we passed on turns out to be a good qb.