• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Questions about Newton's status in NE?

Mr. Scot

More: Apparently Newton is working on his throwing motion...

Quietly and with little fanfare, Cam Newton had been working with a throwing coach to rebuild some of his fundamentals this offseason. Some who shared a field with him this past week at voluntary Patriots workouts -- the first time players were on the field as the program shifted to its second phase -- noticed a difference. What does it mean in the big picture? The essence of the Patriots' offseason program is teaching-based, with the goal to give every player what they need so they can be in the best position to compete come training camp, so any pure evaluation is premature. But some teammates view Newton as getting off to a nice start last week.

Quick hit notes from Mike Reiss

• Pie 1

Y’all are so damn dumb. Cam is New England’s QB. Hard Stop.  

Y’all forget Cam is still learning the damn offense up there. Hoyer is brought in to continue to help not only Cam in that regard, but Stidham and Jones as well. 

I know tearing down Cam helps you feel better about this team, but stop it. It’s petty and misinformed. 

• Pie 4

20 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

This part. They also play in a historically bad division. Pats,bills, dolphins,jets. You could almost sweep jets and fins and that's 4 wins. 

Don’t know what you think about the defense but they aren’t a bad team neither or the Bills. So no that isn’t a bad division. 

7 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Don’t know what you think about the defense but they aren’t a bad team neither or the Bills. So no that isn’t a bad division. 

The patriots weren't a bad team? They were which why they were able to spend more money in free agency than anyone before. Not a lot stars which why they had a lot of cash to burn. The bills are the best team in the division which is why I didn't mention them as a free win.

Traditionally tho, the pats have been able to sleep walk into the playoffs with the jets constantly bad. The dolphins have been bad for a long time and even the bills before Josh Allen turned the corner and the current office. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Quietly and with little fanfare, Cam Newton had been working with a throwing coach to rebuild some of his fundamentals this offseason. Some who shared a field with him this past week at voluntary Patriots workouts -- the first time players were on the field as the program shifted to its second phase -- noticed a difference. What does it mean in the big picture? The essence of the Patriots' offseason program is teaching-based, with the goal to give every player what they need so they can be in the best position to compete come training camp, so any pure evaluation is premature. But some teammates view Newton as getting off to a nice start last week.

I am really hoping things will be different for him. But the second throwing motion change in three years and the quarterback this board spent several weeks ridiculing as having a weak arm possibly pushing him for the job is not a good omen for a former national champion rookie of the year and mvp. Time is a vindictive bitch.

18 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

Not sure that wins you more games. If you had better behind whitehead or teddy why start them to begin with?

We didn't have better behind Teddy. We saw that pretty clearly when PJ Walker played against someone other than the worst defense in the league.

And if we're being real, Jermaine Carter wasn't anything special either.

10 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

5th year in row for this.........

185% Cam fans are the worst thing about Cam.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

We didn't have better behind Teddy. We saw that pretty clearly when PJ Walker played against someone other than the worst defense in the league.

And if we're being real, Jermaine Carter wasn't anything special either.

Agreed. I don't think anyone working at the highest level of coaching or scouting couldn't see very early on those guys were a weakness. My point was more aimed at the theory of addition by subtraction. 

If you you got better by just cutting a guy then why was he even starting to begin with. Basically if we cut say okung last year are we better playing Little? 

7 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Agreed. I don't think anyone working at the highest level of coaching or scouting couldn't see very early on those guys were a weakness. My point was more aimed at the theory of addition by subtraction. 

If you you got better by just cutting a guy then why was he even starting to begin with. Basically if we cut say okung last year are we better playing Little? 

I don't put much on Rhule last year because it was his first season as an NFL coach and the guy who was supposed to help him with his transition to the pros was sh-t.

I've also said before my expectations for this season are low because I see this as the first year of the rebuild rather than the second.

Beyond this year though, we need to see improvement.

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't put much on Rhule last year because it was his first season as an NFL coach and the guy who was supposed to help him with his transition to the pros was sh-t.

I've also said before my expectations for this season are low because I see this as the first year of the rebuild rather than the second.

Beyond this year though, we need to see improvement.

I agree again on rule. But, my expectations for this season might be a bit higher than your own. Not because this isn't his first true season, but because of last season the team was already highly competitive. We don't know for sure how darnold will look. As he goes do go we. I don't think we got worse and improved in multiple areas. Corner, Reddick adding to the pass rush. 

Cmc returning and hoping there is no fall off at tackle or replacing Samuel I don't see any reason we can't finish  around 8-8 or whatever the new status quo is for being 500.  I don't think this is a playoff team. But next season that should be the goal.

1 hour ago, micnificent28 said:

No, Okung was the best LT we had since Gross. The only problem is he cannot stay healthy.

• Beer 1