• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Julio is traded...

Mr. Scot

4 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

We have to be the only franchise that hates the best player in our History so damn much. 

But hey we know what that’s about don’t we. If Cam Newton looked like The Golden Calf of Bristol y’all would be demanding statues be built. Instead y’all hate that players actually want to play with him. 

I don't hate him. I just think his best days are far behind them and we wasted them.

• Pie 2

Last year, Cam ended up signing a one year performance based contract. That is the going rate for QBs with question marks about their health and abilities.

Cam was free agent again this year and could have signed with any team who wanted him.  Ultimately, he signed yet another one year performance based contract.  By now, there should be little doubt in anyone's mind of Cam's perceived value in the NFL.

Most of us would have preferred a happy ending for the relationship between Cam and the Panthers.  There are countless factors to consider as to why that didn't happen, but rest assured, if the Panthers believed Cam was their long term answer at QB, they would've kept him.

• Beer 1

48 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

It's a shame Gettleman ran off Smith and Gross. We likely win that SB with them playing.

And this isn't a pro Hurney statement. Just an observation of our weaknesses that game.

Yeah, maybe.  Guess we'll never know for sure.

Here's another take:  Gross wanted to retire at the top of his game w/his health intact.  

"I never wanted to play longer than I should,'' he said. "I never wanted anyone to be able to say, 'He stayed too long.' Instead of just hanging on and playing at a lower level, I always thought it would be better for people to say to me, 'Why'd you retire? You were great last year.'"  You know how I know I made the right decision?" Gross said. "I haven't thought once that I did the wrong thing. Not once.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/29/jordan-gross-weight-retirement-panthers

Smitty was a unique character and athlete.  Let's just say he was already losing a step or two by the time he parted ways with the Panthers and wasn't the easiest guy to work with.  That is especially true if you were a young franchise QB that needed to be the undisputed leader of the offense.

8 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

We have to be the only franchise that hates the best player in our History so damn much. 

But hey we know what that’s about don’t we. If Cam Newton looked like The Golden Calf of Bristol y’all would be demanding statues be built. Instead y’all hate that players actually want to play with him. 

What does Steve Smith have to do with this?

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Yeah, maybe.  Guess we'll never know for sure.

Here's another take:  Gross wanted to retire at the top of his game w/his health intact.  

"I never wanted to play longer than I should,'' he said. "I never wanted anyone to be able to say, 'He stayed too long.' Instead of just hanging on and playing at a lower level, I always thought it would be better for people to say to me, 'Why'd you retire? You were great last year.'"  You know how I know I made the right decision?" Gross said. "I haven't thought once that I did the wrong thing. Not once.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/29/jordan-gross-weight-retirement-panthers

Smitty was a unique character and athlete.  Let's just say he was already losing a step or two by the time he parted ways with the Panthers and wasn't the easiest guy to work with.  That is especially true if you were a young franchise QB that needed to be the undisputed leader of the offense.

Not to mention Wharton retired with him and likely because of the same situation. I was a DG fan at the time but he did a lot of boneheaded things and was not liked. I have a much different opinion in hindsight 

https://www.theringer.com/2017/7/20/16078316/carolina-panthers-gm-street-dave-gettleman-fired-3f39c2941f7a

"People remember when Steve Smith left in 2014. People remember DeAngelo Williams. But I think the biggest [issue] that has really been under the radar was the whole Jordan Gross situation. For people that aren’t familiar with that, Jordan Gross was a left tackle for the Panthers. He had been there for a long time. People loved him in the community. Gettleman comes in and restructures his contract in 2013, and Jordan Gross isn’t very happy about that. He ends up retiring in 2014, which [hurts] the team, and sort of hurts Gettleman. And that was one of the first little feelers into the fact that maybe Gettleman and the Panthers organization weren’t quite in line with their thinking."

Edited by Moo Daeng

10 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Which one, Luke Kuechly or Steve Smith?

I'll allow you Julius Peppers too, if you must.

21 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Cam is my fav player in panthers history, but his time was up.

Arguably the best coach in nfl history just drafted Mac Jones to replace him. 

Mac Jones.

16 hours ago, Scott12345 said:

We should have never released smitty

That cam couldn’t deal with a HOF player says a lot about Cam

Gettleman lost Smitty, gross, and Josh....we should have fired gettleman long before we did

Agreed.

Cam, the team, and the W-L record would have all been better off had Smitty been retained. 

Personally I understood the rationale and was fine with the decision at the time --- in hindsight it's clear shipping him was a huge mistake.

PS -- and make no mistake about it, Cam wanted Smitty gone.

Edited by SizzleBuzz

18 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

It's a shame Gettleman ran off Smith and Gross. We likely win that SB with them playing.

And this isn't a pro Hurney statement. Just an observation of our weaknesses that game.

What happened to Philly wouldn't have happened to Smitty. Taliban would still be looking for his arms after Smitty ripped them off and beat him with them. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2