• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Analyzing the 10 OL who should make the roster

MHS831

6 minutes ago, Scott12345 said:

I think coach and fitt are counting on elf and Erving to be major impact players...don’t forget they were signed first hours of FA

These guys are versatile and fairly athletic- I think they were signed for depth and competition. They fit the mold Rhule likes and if they don't win a starting spot they can backup multiple positions on the line.

I think Trent Scott will get every opportunity to be our starter, its obvious Rhule likes him. The Battle between Scott, Christensen, and Erving will be fierce. I'm just hoping we get to start the winner and this competition does get decided based on an Injury (Like with Daley and Reed last year). 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I think we go into the season with:

LT Erving LG Christensen C Paradis RG Miller RT Moton

And I think we end the season with:

LT Christensen LG Brown C Paradis RG Daley RT Moton

with C/G Moore and C/G Elflein taking heavy reps rotating with interior guys and T Scott being our number 1 swing tackle

10 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I probably did not stress this point enough.  We run that wide zone blocking scheme and he might be a perfect fit for that--I just need to learn more about it---I think he would be a great G, but a good LT is greater than a great G, especially when you have a veteran or 2 at LG ready to play.

This is the 1 point I was going to make about your day 1 line-up. I think it's most likely that Christensen starts somewhere. LT is his to loose, but if he can't beat out Scott/Erving, put him in at LG and let him get used to sitting at the grown up table. Eery snap he takes against NFL caliber players will help him. I really hope he turns into a better than average LT, especially since he, Brown, Moore, Erving, Elfein,  & Daley are all vying for LG. I left Miller off this list as I think he wins the RG position initially.

• Pie 1

The one thing I'd note is to not sleep on Erving being a bit better than average and could hold his own at LT for most of the season.  He hasn't always graded the highest but he's really turned his focus on LT in his career when many thought he was going to be a center.  

edit: and he's 28 so not super old for a lineman

Edited by saX man
  • Pie 1

Another great OP. And follow-up from @Basbear, too. 

We've gone from fretting over the O-line to actually debating pros and cons of numerous players who can/will make an impact. How that line goes will be how our season goes and we are at the changing of the guard part of the rebuild. 

It's pretty exciting. The game is won in the trenches and we're looking so much more ready for war.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, Scott12345 said:

little still on rookie deal...may be the only reason he makes the team

He should not make the team, he cannot play any other position besides LT, and he sucks at playing that. 

We have guys with more versatility that should get a roster spot over him, regardless of him being on a rookie deal. 

• Pie 2

On 5/21/2021 at 1:43 AM, onmyown said:

A good post, unfortunately our oline isn’t much to post about.

Paradis admitted late last year his injury is still hindering him. Big mean don’t heal - especially at his age. 

Fact is the line is looking pretty bad. Panthers have neglected it for so long. Well maybe not neglect, but have made horrible moves there. That’s probably worse. As important as the line is, I see it still a couple years away from being playoff caliber. 

Given the top teams to make the playoffs every year also so happen to have the top olines...it’s not looking good.

My main issue with the line last year was consistency. Easily the worst 3/4 quarter oline in the NFL. Except the Jets. The oline can be average but will have to be average for an entire game.

I dont think they improved the quality, but they have improved the quaintly somewhat. Its a very hard sell, but they had about 7 *proven NFL OLmen and added 3 form the draft. Yes you have to overlook injuries and bad ratings form most in the group. Thats 10 and its been a while since they had that many, even last year they didnt have 10. The job now falls at the feet of Rhule and OL coach Pat. I do not think this whole group would be rated in the 30s and we do not even know whos starting at LG, RG, or LT so its unfair to make/give a grade there too......but it will not be be as high as the group grade for sure. 

The biggest two issues for me are injuries and strength. I foresee panthers having a great working OL for a week or so, then 2 of the 5 get a month long injury. Thats where the depth can play a role and the new 17th game will have a small effect. Strength wise this group is lacking, all need to be locked in a weight room with 55 gallon drum of bull semen and Liquid BCAAs IVs.