• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bootleg Football’s take on Panthers draft

8 hours ago, MHS831 said:

They made me feel really better about the first four picks.  I think they love Horn, Terrace, (so do I) and Christensen at LT---they helped me see how he is a perfect fit there-I hope they are right.

Tremble:  They underestimated him, in my opinion, but value his blocking.  No mention of special teams.

I did not like the Chuba pick either.

I am not as pumped about Nixon as before, but there is a difference between playing every down and being situational.

Shi Smith just made our WR corps potentially the best in the NFL.  "Darnold has no excuses."

I did not like the Taylor CB pick when it happened, but I do now.  They love him, along with DJ.  Enough for me. 

They made good points and were spot on. 

I disagree about D.Brown, however.  He was a LG at Bama and pulled and was able to move. As a RG, he should be fine.

Deonte Brown played both LG and RG at Alabama.  

Here is a vid playing RG vs. Derrick Brown.  Played well. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Pup McBarky said:

Loved the analysis (obviously), especially what they say about Hubbard. I agree. As I said, he was under-valued and will be solid and make some splash plays. They didn't seem overly enthused about Nixon, which I think is the biggest steal, instead gushing over Hoskins, who I also like, but I view Nixon as a potential starter at the end of the season or next year, while Hoskins will be a rotational guy...though I think a very good one.

Based only on what they said about Nixon, I see Nixon as a situational DT only.  It was as if they said he cannot recognize the run and gets blown out.  He needs to be shooting gaps---and frankly, DTs do not make that many tackles anyway--they simply clog lanes--so I will be anxious to see how he develops.

40 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Deonte Brown played both LG and RG at Alabama.  

Here is a vid playing RG vs. Derrick Brown.  Played well. 

I was not aware, but I was not saying that he cannot play RG--the point I probably did not make was that he can play in the wide zone scheme--they were treating him as if he is a power run blocking RG only, and it did not fit the scheme.  My point was that he can pull--he did it a lot--as a LG, which is usually the most agile, mobile G. 

Thanks for the link and the thread.

• Beer 1

I would like to point out 1 other point that made me feel this guy could be the steal of the draft--and he was not drafted.  They started mentioning David Moore (G) in about the third round.  Called him a "Tree stump."  They kept mentioning his name.

If DJ would take off his Bears ears and stop talking 80% of the time, this could be a damn good draft show.  DJ probably needs to put the cup down until a bit later.

Seriously, I really did not know this existed, and I spent about 2 hours yesterday watching the panther sections.  Appreciate it.

• Beer 2

12 hours ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

EJ has some interesting takes on our players including Chuba and our rd. 7 pick Phil Hoskins. 

Great listen. I don't know much about Chuba, but in his draft profile, pass protection was listed as a weakness. If he really can block as well as EJ claims, I'm even more excited about the pick.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, shaqattaq said:

Great listen. I don't know much about Chuba, but in his draft profile, pass protection was listed as a weakness. If he really can block as well as EJ claims, I'm even more excited about the pick.

I read that too--could not find it.  Of course, the facts get very clouded and distorted.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, shaqattaq said:

Yeah.  They had info on Chuba about the elite blocking that I was not aware of.  That will help him get on the field to spell CMC. 
They also really liked Hoskins.  Which I can’t find any tape on they guy.  Hope he works out also. 

We at least have enough shots for some of these guys to work out and that’s more than we can say for any draft that Hurney ever had. 

18 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

How many mocks were actually accurate? Every time someone claims they have “my (inside) sources” I roll my eyes because it is usually never the case. 

As you see from the behind-the-scenes videos that teams put out, unless your inside source is the GM it doesn't matter.

Loads of people in the War Room, but only one guy makes the decision.

19 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

How many mocks were actually accurate? Every time someone claims they have “my (inside) sources” I roll my eyes because it is usually never the case. 

I think the results are generally abysmal.  In 2021 Mel Kiper had 5 players correctly mocked to the teams that actually took them.  

Todd McShay of ESPN and Peter King of Sports Illustrated had nine.

Who had the most accurate NFL mock draft? Not ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:21 PM, Black&BlueBubba said:

I always enjoy Brett Kollman. He has another podcast with EJ Snyder who has the Panthers with the number 1 draft.  
EJ has some interesting takes on our players including Chuba and our rd. 7 pick Phil Hoskins. 

Starts at the 57:30 mark. 

Terrific vid 

• Beer 1