• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron "learning from his mistakes" in Carolina

ladypanther

A good GM would have greatly helped Ron, especially with focus on younger players. 

What most dont understand, there is around a 40% turn over each year. You must know how to pick and coach young players, just a fact. That turnover is less a issue if you get the right rookies. I believe in 2 years panthers went form, what top 3 oldest roster to the youngest roster. 

• Pie 2

At the peak of a veteran player's time playing, there's nothing a coach can tell him he doesn't already know. At that point the coach's job is to get the young players in the room to strive for that level of work ethic, dedication and technique.

The veteran's job is no longer to obediently listen to everything the coach says, but show teammates that even at his level, he's still working to improve himself.

It shouldn't be a surprise that established veterans take a dim view of new coaches who try to change a team's established culture or impose new unwritten rules, especially when they conflict with the old ones.

Curtis Samuel was a huge waste of a pick. So much talent that Ron only wanted to pull out for special occasions.

If anything, he should have learned for Bradberry. He had no choice to play and dev that kid and look what happened.

Does anyone really think James would have ever seen playing time if DG gave him a vet on that roster in 2016?

• Pie 2

55 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

It shouldn't be a surprise that established veterans take a dim view of new coaches who try to change a team's established culture or impose new unwritten rules, especially when they conflict with the old ones.

This may have been part of the motivation for Rhule to clean house of the older vets in the last 2 years.  

Also they were underperforming on the field compared to their cap charge.  I think a number of vets got complacent under Ron.  

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

And yet see the example above. I don’t see him getting better when he starts a QB who was terrible and he almost cost his team a playoff berth. How you can start a QB in the playoff hunt only to release him the day after the loss is beyond me.

He was in the playoff hunt in one of the worst divisions football has seen. I dont think he wanted to win the division, he just needed it to look like he was trying. They needed a QB and weren't going to get it going 1 and done in the playoffs. Too bad Pederson out tanked him or they could very likely have gotten Fields. Theres really no other explanation for why you would start Haskins, bench him when the game is out of reach, then cut him if you were actually trying to make the playoffs. Even the most ignorant football fan knew Haskins had no business starting that game. 

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

They were fighting for a playoff spot and he kept a horrific Haskins in the game only to release him the next week. He’s not a good head coach. We had an extremely talented team and the coaching never lived up to the talent.

I'd go as far as saying he's the worst coach we've had after Seifert. He was carried by Cam and Luke so much and he has confirmed his terrible logic and coaching philosophy that all of us suspected after leaving here.

Edited by KillerKat
  • Pie 3
  • Poo 1

Welp, Ron and Hurney have reunited the band in DC.  Now is their big chance to show us how wrong we were about them.

Meanwhile, Dave is hanging on by his fingernails in NYC and McDermott/Bean achieved the ever elusive back-to-back winning seasons with only 4 years on the job in Buffalo.

Looks like we'll have an interesting season of storylines to follow.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 4

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

A good GM would have greatly helped Ron, especially with focus on younger players. 

What most dont understand, there is around a 40% turn over each year. You must know how to pick and coach young players, just a fact. That turnover is less a issue if you get the right rookies. I believe in 2 years panthers went form, what top 3 oldest roster to the youngest roster. 

I thought it was because Ron doesn't understand how to manage the clock or evaluate his roster.  Marty sucked ass dont get me wrong but the two of them together was a special kind of stupid.