• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron "learning from his mistakes" in Carolina

ladypanther

Ron was a veteran and probably got passed over for a better talented player and never let it go.

He must have felt his veteran status gave him the upper hand. 

Never forget Norwell not getting his chance until a sorry ass guard went down with injury.  And then had the thought of bringing him back after his injury.  Thank god he didn't. 

He can say he's learned from his mistakes.   I'm not buying it. 

On 5/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, ladypanther said:

Potentially the sloooooooowest learner ever in the history of coaching. Its wonderful that he finally learned something after all these damn years though. Where the hell were you at in Carolina Ron?

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Marv Levy was another one but most people don't remember him being with the Chiefs.

Bill Cowher took 15 years to win a Super Bowl. He'd been to one prior to that, but he didn't win.

Granted, most teams aren't as patient as the Steelers.

Cowher never had a franchise QB until Big Ben.  

• Beer 1

On 5/22/2021 at 1:45 PM, stbugs said:

They were fighting for a playoff spot and he kept a horrific Haskins in the game only to release him the next week. He’s not a good head coach. We had an extremely talented team and the coaching never lived up to the talent.

This

On 5/24/2021 at 1:42 PM, rayzor said:

There are a good bit more than i thought who did it with their 2nd or third team as HC, but still the standard is within 5 years with the team they won the SB with. 

I don't care how much i like or the team likes rhule, if we don't have it done within 5 years, we need to move on and we should have moved on from both fox and rivera after 5.

The 5 year thing has to do with the HC + QB combo.

15 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

And yet, with two or three years as exceptions, his defenses in Carolina as a head coach were dead average or worse.

I had great hope when they said he was taking over the defense the last couple seasons....and it got worse.  

Looking back... 2015 was due to Mcdermott, Cam, SOS and a little bit of luck.

• Beer 1

On 5/24/2021 at 10:24 AM, CRA said:

Ron IMO is the best coach we have had to date.   Everyone has their own warts and shortcomings.  Rhule will have his once we get to know him better too. 

Yes, but with any luck, Rhule's will be forgiven after he wins a SB.

8 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I had great hope when they said he was taking over the defense the last couple seasons....and it got worse.  

Looking back... 2015 was due to Mcdermott, Cam, SOS and a little bit of luck.

I mean, say what you want about Ron....he is a proven great defensive guy.  Team to team, scheme to scheme.   Ron can work up a defense if he has the bodies. 

But it's also the NFL.  And if you ain't got the bodies to have a great defense....you ain't got the bodies.  You got to have a DL in the NFL.  Rivera's defenses got weak when the talent got weak on the DL (especially the middle of it).  Some places you just can't get weak at and then think you can overcome deficiencies elsewhere. 

Ron wasn't a great HC.  But he is a great DC IMO.  

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, say what you want about Ron....he is a proven great defensive guy.  Team to team, scheme to scheme.   Ron can work up a defense if he has the bodies. 

But it's also the NFL.  And if you ain't got the bodies to have a great defense....you ain't got the bodies.  You got to have a DL in the NFL.  Rivera's defenses got weak when the talent got weak on the DL (especially the middle of it).  Some places you just can't get weak at and then think you can overcome deficiencies elsewhere. 

Ron wasn't a great HC.  But he is a great DC IMO.  

I used to be there...but as I look back, the switch to soft coverages with the lead, the fall off in production after Mcdermott left.... him fiddling with the formation that last season... indicates even he wasn't sure what to do anymore.