• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron "learning from his mistakes" in Carolina

ladypanther

12 hours ago, Snake said:

Kinda the chicken and the Egg tbh. Hurney and Rivera just fit each other. I'm just glad we took a totally different approach moving forward.

And that would be concerning to me given their track record. Part of growth is challenging yourself and Marty and Ron never seemed to do that for each other. 

21 hours ago, rayzor said:

Ron just doesn't have what it takes. 

Quotes like this rarely age well. I sure hope we outperform the WTFs this year, but I wouldn't bet against the guy making something happen at this stop on his tenure. He made the playoffs (I know, in the NFCLeast) while we were effectively out of the hunt by midseason.

Maybe we can crow a bit more effectively at the end of the coming season. Right now, we're the chumps.

2 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Quotes like this rarely age well. I sure hope we outperform the WTFs this year, but I wouldn't bet against the guy making something happen at this stop on his tenure. He made the playoffs (I know, in the NFCLeast) while we were effectively out of the hunt by midseason.

Maybe we can crow a bit more effectively at the end of the coming season. Right now, we're the chumps.

Rivera is a chump coach. I feel safe saying that.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

He made it with a losing record and with players not drafted by him.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

Best coach in our history. But the bar is pretty low. 

Again, 3 winning seasons out of 9. That's not something to be proud of. It's something to get better than.

Cam carried his ass on the field and to the locker room...

8 hours ago, PantherBoy95 said:

The fact that a 2x Coach of the Year here, barely has one positive comment in this entire thread says a lot about this fan base to me.

Coach of the Year is a pretty useless honor.

If you want to talk about Rivera the person, you'll find loads of people ready to say something nice about him.

Rivera the coach? Not so much.

Edited by Mr. Scot

I'm not going to join the hate parade on Ron.  At least he has identified one of his major weaknesses.  Most people don't ever do that.  It took him forever, but at least he acknowledged it.  Now whether he fixes the problem over the long-haul is another story.

As for him starting Haskins, do we know for sure it was his decision, or was it Danny Boy's (who wanted him in the first place), or was it Ron's passive aggressive play against Danny Boy constantly asking "what about Haskins?"  Snyder is great at saying his coach or GM in in charge of things, then essentially undermining them.  That just seemed like a non-Rivera move, since Haskins was deep in his doghouse by then. 

Rivera is a lot like Fox.  If your team is a mess, they can provide stability and get you to mediocrity, better on good years.  The problem is the very things that allow them to establish stability from a fiasco also prevents them from taking a team to the next level. 

But, if you are the Foreskins or Broncos after McDaniels, stability looks pretty darned good.

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

yeah let's hate on the guy who was arguably the best coach in our history. you can argue Hurney was our downfall b/c of course. same could fall on Fox. 

John Fox was the better coach, he just didn’t have Cam Newton.  

21 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

I thought it was because Ron doesn't understand how to manage the clock or evaluate his roster.  Marty sucked ass dont get me wrong but the two of them together was a special kind of stupid. 

I was done with RR when he could not field a decent NFL D(2018). It was the 100% final nail for me when Gettleman had a open HC spot and did not hire RR. Ron was LOADS better with Gettleman than Herniay, dont know the exact numbers but the record with Gettleman was like 53-33 and 24-40 with Herniay.

Phil Snow took a defense that lost the whole starting DL, HOF LB, elite CB, lots of good depth, and 100+ tackle SS ....AND played better. That was very telling to me, what was once was RR strength- players playing hard and Defense....now they quit and the Defense greatly improved form a 70 old years thats spent 98% of his career in meh college. Lastly he was turned down 9 times, before hired here.... should have been 10....but he sure is smiling now with complete control in DC. I thinks hes average-to-below average rating, it just reached the point....... like marriages, it ran its course and better to part ways for both parties. Panthers are pointing up and RR has more money, more power, and in a weak division with the best DL in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's not a circumstance.

John Fox didn't believe in franchise quarterbacks.

Fox like his "cagey old vets".

He had no desire to groom a young QB....ever. any young QB he was put with was against his wishes.

As bad as Rivera was, Fox was worse...but not much worse.