• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Other Cornerback

ForJimmy

I'm not so sure about Taylor.  His RAS scores are pretty mediocre including a 4.54 40 time.  At that stage in the draft you take it but it's not great.

Also his 0 interceptions in his college career questions whether he has the ball skills to succeed at the next level. 

We'll see if the Panthers staff can make the most of Taylor's length & coach him up to be a productive DB in the NFL.  

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Ja Rhule said:

Josh Norman 40 yard dash was 4.6 I believe.  He did ok in the NFL.

It may limit your scheme flexibility somewhat. Norman was primarily his most effective in zone.

I don't think 4.54 is enough to limit him but I don't think his ceiling is any higher than Troy Pride was. 

Taylor is one of those guys that might end up in the rotation or he might be off the team in a year or two. But, he was a fifth rounder, so even sticking around on special teams is not bad.

• Pie 6

7 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

Josh Norman 40 yard dash was 4.6 I believe.  He did ok in the NFL. Bradberry was 4.5.

There will always be exceptions but you generally want your CB to have some speed.   

One of the criticisms I have read about Taylor is that he gives too much cushion to receivers, which might be his own recognition that he lacks overall speed.   Which seems odd since he did some track work in high school where he ran some decent times (low 11's for the 100 meters).  Maybe getting bigger, heavier since HS has slowed him down a bit ?  

23 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I'm not so sure about Taylor.  His RAS scores are pretty mediocre including a 4.54 40 time.  At that stage in the draft you take it but it's not great.

Also his 0 interceptions in his college career questions whether he has the ball skills to succeed at the next level. 

We'll see if the Panthers staff can make the most of Taylor's length & coach him up to be a productive DB in the NFL.  

There is definitely weaknesses in his game currently. He doesn’t need to be insanely fast with Horn and Jackson capable of matching up against the speedy WRs. He has the size and personality to have a good amount of potential. I’d like to see him at CB, but worst case scenario is he provides competition for our safeties. Not terrible for a 5th round pick! 

16 minutes ago, Newbie said:

After watching the practices and Senior Bowl game I really wanted us to draft him. The draft sites I use had him projected as a 3rd or 4th rounder. 

For me, the biggest plus for Taylor is that the Carolina coaching staff saw this kid first hand at the Senior Bowl practices.    Even though he was on the opposing team, they still did some drills with him and would have had the chance to talk with him often.  So I trust if the Panthers saw something in Taylor, he was worth drafting.

As to Taylor's expected draft position, the NFL had him with a 5.50 grade, which is for end-of-the-roster / practice squad guys.  So not that positive.  

NFL prospect page

Edited by BlitzMonster

I mocked him a bunch to us, usually in the 6th round.  So yes, I would like to see this young man do well.  If he can learn to tackle better and hold on to those potential INTs, then he should stick around. 

Corners that don't tackle well irk me.   We already have Donte "shoe-strings" Jackson. Taylor Jr. needs to refine this skill set sooner rather than later.

• Pie 2

With his size I thought maybe Carolina was considering Taylor as a potential FS.   But you generally want ballhawks in that position, as well as guys with excellent speed.   Taylor doesn't fit either of those qualities.   So I'm not sure how he'll be used.  

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I mocked him a bunch to us, usually in the 6th round.  So yes, I would like to see this young man do well.  If he can learn to tackle better and hold on to those potential INTs, then he should stick around. 

Corners that don't tackle well irk me.   We already have Donte "shoe-strings" Jackson. Taylor Jr. needs to refine this skill set sooner rather than later.

That’s fair. The CBs that worry me are the ones who are afraid of contact. Taylor pursues and looks to want contact, just needs to increase his lower body strength and technique which are both coachable/trainable.